Intergas Eco RF vs HRE

Sponsored Links
Obviouly not limescale......

So Dan please tell me what it is most likely to be, an oxide of aluminium perhaps, maybe a sulphate / sulphide of aluminium.

You're the one that brought up descaling. Afaik it is an aluminium oxide and it builds up here as it does in Holland (who's gas is slightly different BTW).

Degree of build up depends on servicing regime but done properly adds no extra time or cost. If the boiler is condensing massively then it will build up more quickly..

Afaik it is an aluminium oxide

Which means the heat exchanger is being eroded.

It seems to build up between first and second "deflector" strips, which I believe were not part of the original design of the heat exchanger but were added later to improve perfromance,

You're the one that brought up descaling
I couldn't think of a word to describe the removal of oxides from a heat exchanger.

Honestly I couldn't tell you but it may well be several things.... @shambolic and @vulcancontinental and @Razor900 will know more.

Where it forms depends on the degree of condensing. Those strips where added in neck in the early naughties to ****** the flue gases. Now we have the labyrinth design which is more efficient but fiddlier to clean.

I have a "special" brush I use for lightly caked heat exchangers. Funnily enough I'm about to go and clean one that is overdue.

Sponsored Links
20190222_110857.jpg

20190222_110907.jpg

20190222_114247.jpg

I have a new heat exchanger at the office will upload it later.

I had used the word r e t a r d the flue gases.

So this crud does not fall into the condensate trap. How long did it take for all that to build up?

So two years of crud. These need an annual service then. That build up must reduce efficiency significantly. Navien is 5 years as they are self cleaning with Americans doing it every 10 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back