Intergas Eco RF vs HRE

Run the ali boiler hot, they don't condense will not need cleaning and still give better efficiency than most stainless boilers in my opinion.
Doesn't the Intergas' control system keep the flow and return temps within around 22C? So when the house is up to temp with the return pipe temp high, the flow temp will be reduced? I know one guy with one of these who put a temp gauge on the flow of the boiler. He set it to 80C, rarely reaching that figure.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Honestly I couldn't tell you but it may well be several things.... @shambolic and @vulcancontinental and @Razor900 will know more.

Where it forms depends on the degree of condensing. Those strips where added in neck in the early naughties to ****** the flue gases. Now we have the labyrinth design which is more efficient but fiddlier to clean.

I have a "special" brush I use for lightly caked heat exchangers. Funnily enough I'm about to go and clean one that is overdue.
It’s aluminum oxide and does form more if more condensing.
It’s a slight erosion of outer hex but it’s thick enough to not cause problem. I clean it using warm water and a schooshy bottle.
If done every year then no problems. But I’ve seen some at 7/8 years old where hex is completely blocked with it.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't the Intergas' control system keep the flow and return temps within around 22C? So when the house is up to temp with the return pipe temp high, the flow temp will be reduced. I know one guy with one of these who put a temp gauge on the flow of the boiler. He set it to 80C, rarely reaching that figure.

You are totally clueless ... @Grumpy Gasman will enjoy reading that. :LOL:

Not if you understand how boilers, combustion and controls work and actually when looking at heat exchangers a decision has to be made as to how it is constructed, what you expect from it and how it will be used.
That I do. Running a condensing boiler at a lower temp as possible increases efficiency. A high temp decreases it. Even plumbers know that.

Assessing the variables, that is more the heat exchanger designer and combustion engineers field. So, you would be better off with a stainless steel heat X (which are by nature less efficient) at a lower temp because these aluminium heat Xs (supposed to be more efficient) build up crud at lower temps, so have to be at an inefficient higher temp.

Last edited:
Aluminium conducts heat better than SS.

The attraction of the Intergas is only 4 moving parts. The Ferroli Modena only has 4 but an SS heat exchanger. The Navien SS main heat exchanger looks excellent (it is self cleaning); as does the ATAGs SS Heat X. ATAGs cost an arm and leg, but the Naviens for what they are, with such flowrates, are one hell of a buy.

Bernard the SS expands and contracts, weakening the metal, also on the fire side the metal may be super hot while on the water side very much cooler, so it cannot be too thin or it will crack. They keep the SS quite thick. Some give 10 year guarantees on the Heat Xs, so they cover themselves.

WARNING troll alert. To all sane mortals, do not feed the trolls.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back