Breakdown cover.

Hi again folks,

I totally agree with what you are all saying. Now its a matter of profit over customer satisfaction. Having said that I am sure that experience has a lot to do with speed and service you get now a days.
I use to do about 3 of 4 jobs a day but remember that my area was the whole of Scotland. I had to try and fit all the west coast faults in one day then maybe all the north area ones another day. It did not always work out all the time as hospitals always had to get priority. Although I worked on a large range of products costing between a couple of thousand up to a quarter of a million,I am sure I probably had a success rate over 90% first visits repairs. I made a point of knowing my products and had repaired enough to be pretty sure what the fault would be before I arrived. Customers always want to see engineers that look confident doing the job. Once in a while you would get the odd fault but I would be in the area of the problem.
I would never turn up at a job and say sorry I couldn't try and repair a unit with an intermittent because it happened to work when I arrived there. Do engineers think that customers just phone up for help cause they have nothing better to do.....of course not.....they are phoning because they need help. Its always better to LISTEN to what the customer is saying and try and fix it on the visit, not swap something in the hope that with a bit of luck that might fix it.
I often had to travel 100 miles to do a job. THe company charged £60/hr labour, the same price for time traveling to and from a job and a cost per mile. We didnt come cheap but I seldom had to leave a job unfinished. I loaded my spares van everyday personally to cover all eventualities and worked out most of the faults in my head enroute. I dont think I was any different from any other dedicated engineer where customer service ALWAYS came first.
I had expected to be treated the same now.
JOck.

Sponsored Links
a BG eng only has to complete a job an hour time wise, most days he could do that standing on his head if he is half decent.

the problems lie in the recall and first time completion part of the system, thats where corners are cut. its actually benefical, in the long run to do everything you possibly can, no matter how long it takes, to complete the job first time but few of them realise that.

intermittent faults can be both a timewaster and a recall nightmare, factor in the small size of the vans/vanstock and the sheer amount of appliances they work on its all against them.

cheating a system that cheats you is very much the way forward these days.

jock,

you will have paperwork from the fella who condemned your boiler.

this is your golden ticket!! SNP government abolished the warmfront scheme here in Scotland, but given your disability, you WILL meet all criteria for a new, full htg system.

sadly, it might not be fitted next week, contact CAB,EAGA,HELP THE AGED etc etc, to receive some temporary electric htg

keep yer money in yer pocket, no more service engs,

best of luck fella

Hi glasgowgas and everyone who are trying to help.

The people from WORCESTER BOSCH are determined to keep the £210 pounds that I paid in the assumption that it would cover the costs of labour,parts and vat. Had I known that their engineer would take one look and condemn it does not seem to matter to them. He could have been in and out in 5 minutes for all he done. Being a typical Fifer I am totally ****** off at them. Who charges over £200 for a flying visit, I could have bought a season ticket to see the Hearts for this wad?
Being a stubborn type I have managed to contact the Energy Assistance People and they have taken down my details and are going to send out Scottish gas to do an assessment to see if I qualify for some sort of grant.

Sponsored Links
jock,

do not worry, as i said you will qualify for a full brand new A rated ch boiler and system

did you pay WB cash or card? a few of the other posters will fill you in with legal bits n bobs

as for " the hertz ", always been partial to our bretheren from the East ;)

dinnae wirry auld timer, ye`ll git rer

Hi again glasgowgas,

I paid using my credit card and Im not the worrying type.

You sound like one of Super Ally's fans. Give my regards to our bretheren fray weegie land in the west.

Jock.

definetly contact your credit card co. give them the full un abridged story

remember its the credit card companys money! they dont want it going somewhere where they might not get a return

IMHO WB are being overzealous but well within their rights, maybe on a better day, the eng would have told you to phone in and cancel job

awwrra best

Hi again folks,

Here is another question for all you interested parties and wouldbe Citizen Advice advisers.

My heating system was fitted by a reputable company 15 years ago. They are no longer in business.

They seemingly did not fit my boiler properly according to the Worcester Bosch engineer. He told me if I needed a second oppinion to ask British Gas and they would quote the same regulations that has condemned my boiler.

I have a service and breakdown cover through Homeserve and the worked is carried out by a local company called Thomas Graham in Dalgetty Bay. This cover costs about £200 per annum and includes annual service and two free callouts and parts.

If what is being said about my boiler is correct (condemned)...how is this company been servicing this boiler for the last four years? Surely if they were carring out a proper service....they should have condemned the boiler when the first saw it four years agp. I have now paid approx £800 for a service that should not have existed. Surely this is taking money under false pretences and would I be able to claim compensation from either the service company or the company I have the insurance policy with.

Jock.

GAS APPLIANCE INSPECTION REPORT.

Faults identified...

No 600mm straight to first bend on flue.
No combustion vent
Compartment not sealed from adjacent bedroom.

Classification....at risk.

Remedial work required...
Flue brought up to correct standard as well as ventilation. compartment to be sealed from adjacent bedroom

Appliance has been.....turned off.

....................................................................................

This appliance was fitted by a corgy approved company 15 years ago(no longer trading) so we naturally assumed the is was fitted to current regulations at that time.
There is not enough room to add the 600 mm straight where it is situated.
The Compartment does not in fact back on to an adjacent bedroom but to a walk in cupboard in an adjacent bedroom.

no suprise jock i recently attended a boiler breakdown on back boiler the fire was installed against wood chimney was breached and the tennant sleeping next to it after shutting it down landlord said your company has been coming here for 5 years enough said

I'd say sort the ventilation and you'll get away with the flue. That can be done as a bit of diy.

The ventilation would be easy to fix.
It would only need me to cut a vent in the hallway and tidy up the back wall in the cupboard...its only a plasterboard wall which had been cut down the middle for access during the installation. I would just have to fit a central strap from floor to roof to seal the gap up.
Its the flue thats the problem....has the legislation always been that you must have 600mm. I only have about 400mm from the top of the boiler to the roof of the cupboard and in that space I need an elbow to connect the boiler to the existing flue. Taking things to extremes I suppose The boiler could be lowered to give enough roof space but a lot of work cutting and refitting pipes and lowering and refitting the boiler. The flue would also have to have a 600mm straight flue fitted as well. This sounds like a very expensive excersise and after doing all this...I would still have the original fault to get sorted out.
Jock.

Hi again folks,

I had the heating on today (bad boy) to have a decent look at the boiler. It went through the usual chattering and multiple ignitions before it kept going. I noticed after a while that it seemed to working again....the radiators werent very warm. Normally they are quite hot and I coildnt keep my hand on them. What I did notice that the pump is so hot you can barely put your hand on it. Is the pump suppose to be as hot as this. I read in the manual that you can check the pump is running by removing the large plated screw and turning the shaft with a flat bladed screwdriver. Would I have to turn the system off to do this?
Jock.

the ventilation will be at risk so thats why you've got a safety notice.
the flue will probably be ncs so not so serious, and no reason to refuse repair.
sort the vent and get back onto worcester would be my advice. Alternatively keep phoning homeserve. they'll sort it if you keep calling them and tell em its not working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back