British Gas - New System - Are they really the devil?!

Sponsored Links
Outmyway,

I have given you good advice and you do not have to take it. It seems to me that you are going with BG anyway.

So it begs the question! why come on here in the first place?

It appears there are many BG/SG on here so this thread is going to be a losing battle.

BG operatives only realise how much they DON'T know until leaving the company. It then dawns on them they are not the elite they thought they were.

I wonder if any BG on here are REAL honest individuals and let the forum know of the underhand techniques they use on the unsuspecting public everyday. Also the poor overpriced boilers that they put in.

Sponsored Links
It appears there are many BG/SG on here so this thread is going to be a losing battle.

BG operatives only realise how much they DON'T know until leaving the company. It then dawns on them they are not the elite they thought they were.

I wonder if any BG on here are REAL honest individuals and let the forum know of the underhand techniques they use on the unsuspecting public everyday. Also the poor overpriced boilers that they put in.
the pro's and con's have been discussed many times on here before. The threads are all there if you were to search them.

I'm BG and don't hide this fact. I don't often post in the plumbing forum anymore as the constant BG bashing and petty arguments annoy me.

only 2 of the people that have replied to this post work for BG. I think what your finding is that whilst BG work is over priced and not always top quality, they do do an ok job and give alot of people what they want ie peace of mind, payment plans etc.....
I, like I assume you, am an independant and I pride myself on doing a quality job, offering long guarantees, going the extra mile etc etc...
However we are a rare bread and a large majority of independants out there are lash up cowboys. Given a comparison between BG engineers and independants, BG would on average be far better.
In an ideal world all consumers would use a quality independant, but its a sad thing that they are a rare breed. For every one of us sad cases sitting on the internet researching our products, promoting our industry and helping out our fellow man, there is probably 3 or 4 lashups sitting in a pub boasting how he installed 7 boilers this week(unflushed WB juniors) and made a killing.
I don't blame people for going to BG, I get enough custom from people who can see a good deal when they're getting one.

Outmyway,

I have given you good advice and you do not have to take it. It seems to me that you are going with BG anyway.

So it begs the question! why come on here in the first place?

1CANHELP - No not at all ... To be honest I almost cancelled their appointment after a few local chaps quoted, but was very surprised by their quote. Plus almost nothing to pay until its installed. So if I am not happy I dont pay until its sorted!

I am 50/50 between BG and a local chap, but cant get away from the 'big company backup' I would get with BG (might need it!), although local chap has been very good I always get the feeling he has too much work on.

Another local chap who I have used over many years and feel very compfortable with his approach and work quoted me £4K more than BG.
Living in the SE so many local chaps look at the house/area and price according to 'he can afford £xyz' ....

I dont like the way the BG quote is from a man in a suit who sells the system, then you pay deposite before they send a 'surveyor' who specs it all out and might say 'no cant do it like that' etc ...

It strikes me any good local plumber is always over worked and hard to pin down ... any who are touting for work I suspect are no good and not running on reputation (call me a scynic!!).

I do find it frustrating on here that one poster slags say Gloworm and the other slags WB etc ... so hard to make out wood from the trees at times.
Although this does rate the Flexicom as not very good also ..
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews207593.html

I do find it frustrating on here that one poster slags say Gloworm and the other slags WB etc ... so hard to make out wood from the trees at times.
Although this does rate the Flexicom as not very good also ..
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews207593.html

Problem with review sites is that most people only feel compelled to review something when its bad!
However, it is true that in its early day the Flexicom wasn't the greatest, especially the combi/system versions due to leaks.
However, every problem has been dealt with and I can safely say that its a pretty decent product now(granted I would not have wanted an early one!). I wouldn't say its one of the best boilers, in fact its brother the Ultracom is far superior imo, but its worthy of its cost against other similarly priced boilers and one of the few boilers with a rear flue option.
I'm one of "those people" who doesn't like WB, however thats not to say I think they are unreliable, its just for someone who primarily repairs boiler it seems their last thought was how easy it was going to be to work on. I also don't like their marketing strategy and I think for alot less money you could get just as good if not better boilers.
If someone tells you a boiler is good or bad, ask them why. To many people say stuff because someone they knows brother told them something

I'm one of "those people" who doesn't like WB, however thats not to say I think they are unreliable, its just for someone who primarily repairs boiler it seems their last thought was how easy it was going to be to work on. g

I can vouch for that, BG have fitted thousands of WB boilers and in a few years time they are going to be a nightmare in terms of time spent repairing them

it's not just the make of boiler it's the back if something goes wrong! especially when in warranty.

I think every major manufacturer has had one of their boilers thats a beast in the past however, I now believe WB to be overpriced for what they are now...effectively tupperware boxes.

I at present fit Baxis and Alphas, however have fitted many makes and models in the past.

I particularly try to support the british brand and hence have stuvk with baxis for the last couple of years. Easy to fit, back up superb in warrenty and all in all fairly priced.

Some manufacturers are giving 10 years now parts and labour namely Sime...never fitted one yet, but am about to and I'll see how it goes.

No point in long guarantees if you can't get them out quick! we'll see?

Again, I don't believe all BG/SG to be bad so I think we'll leave the BG/independant bashing for now and allow the op to make an informed choice of their own.

British brand's ???? are baxi actually made in the U,K ???

only use people reg with CIPHE or SNIPEF ??? what do they actually do ?? probably nothing of any use except fleece some tradesman of some money you cannot (i think) do scrappage scheme work in Scotland unless you belong to snipef , who are probably busy setting up there own service & maintenance company ??

Isn't it a good sign that the plumber you know is busy? Normally that is a sign that the man knows what he is doing and might be worth waiting for.

I am not a BG man, never have been. but I have been to quite a few installs where they have messed up big time, but to be fair to them the client only calls someone else when there is a problem. I have never got a call from a client asking me to come and look at an install that was well done just to admire it.

I would use the local chap but get the extended warranty from the boiler manufacturer, which ever one you choose.

baxi due-techs are made in Preston. my boss had a vip tour :rolleyes: git....

aka glow-worm flexicom.
Whats wrong with Glowworms?

The flexicom had some issues on early models with explosive ignition. I cant recall that ive ever been to a breakdown on a 330+ since it was introduced 18-24 months ago

Won't be long then ;) , get yourself a couple of electrodes on the van your first time fix will soon be soaring!.

I'm curious as to who now does offer the best training and apprenticeships as bg are so dire?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back