Cat S cars - too dodgy? SKODA Octavia 2011 £4k

Spend a couple of hundred quid on getting an independent vehicle engineer to look at it - and know that when you come to sell or part-ex then it's not worth as much. Once you've factored in these costs, THEN decide if it's good value.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't touch anything that was category whatever, no matter how honest the seller, there's plenty of hassle free cars alternatives to buy.

I would be very wary of any s categories, but there are other reasons for them to be categorised. Sometimes they can be categorised as an N simply on the insurance cost of repair, versus the value of the vehicle. It could be as simple as a broken windscreen, which is very expensive to source for a particular model, or a bit of scratched paint.

Cars used to depreciation considerably when you drive them of the forecourt something around 30% straight away I think it used to be, ..

Since it's only applicable on new cars, people used to say the car lost the "value" of the VAT on leaving the show-room, so that would be 20% (for a lot of years )

Since it's only applicable on new cars, people used to say the car lost the "value" of the VAT on leaving the show-room, so that would be 20% (for a lot of years )

Yeah I was referring to new cars, now I read it again I understand it wasn't the clearest of English I used

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't touch anything that was category whatever, no matter how honest the seller, there's plenty of hassle free cars alternatives to buy.

I've bought cat c and D's in the past but always bought them pre repair. And repaired my self then got visa for inspection.

Reminds me class c now class s have to ha e a vosa inspection before being allowed back on the road, I believe this is to make sure the car isn't wonky and dangerous.

Hi all,
Just to say (having been motor trade for over 40+yrs and 30 running my own body shop). My advise to buying a Cat N or S (structural repair necessary.. non structural repair necessary). If the vehicle you are looking at seems to be to good to be true, then it probably is. Always take a professional bodyshop technician with you or have the vehicle fully assessed before you part with your money. Don't believe any advert that states "vehicle Was Cat **" because it still is however well its been repaired. Please do understand that there are some very good repairers who do a great job and a thorough job by using second hand parts and by using proper / skilled repair techniques and these vehicles can be great for years.
My own Shogun is a Cat C (now Cat N) but drives and looks great even though I repaired it some 15yrs ago.
The salvage repaired vehicles I see thesedays are poorly repaired and refinished and most are within 3yrs old so they don't require an mot test. These have been rushed repaired purely for maximum profit. Don't buy these, however good a bargain they may seem. Always check who repaired the vehicle and see if a parts list or original estimate & photos are still available. Most vehicles I buy and sell these days are not salvage because I can buy them at the same price and still get a reasonable profit without the hard work.
So, Don't not buy a salvage repaired vehicle... But if you really do want one get it fully checked, do your research and remember that some insurers add a premium for the these.
Good luck.

Tough old buses those original Carltons. I used the car for another 18 months until the rust took over and got a newer version for £175 - immaculate and low mileage, 2 previous owners with history, but no one wanted a 16 year old petrol Carlton so the bloke was virtually giving it away. Still got it, but I keep it in the garage as it's been garaged all it's life. Cheap motoring. :cool:

Likewise a Ventura I had long ago. I was stopped in a queue, just over the brow of a hill and a Transit came up behind at speed, not having seen the queue. He ran into my tow bar, bent his bumper back, pushed the grill through his rad, jammed it against the mechanical fan. His was undrivable. Mine didn't have a mark on it. I even took it and had it inspected - it was fine.

Reminds me class c now class s have to ha e a vosa inspection before being allowed back on the road, I believe this is to make sure the car isn't wonky and dangerous.
I think that was called a 'VIC' check. Vehicle Identity Check. Just checking that's it's the car it is supposed to be and not just a ringer with the plates of the previously written off vehicle. As far as I know, they don't check the standard of repair, just the identity of the vehicle presented. They can still make you take an MOT test even if the vehicle is less than three years old.

Do VOSA still ask for Vic testing?
They closed down our local testing unit so maybe they're only carried out at main depots?

I am amazed how much things have gone up in price and used cars especially seem to be like bars of gold they appear to hardly lose money these days.

Cars used to depreciation considerably when you drive them of the forecourt something around 30% straight away I think it used to be, now it's worth the same amount as you paid for it a couple of months down the line.

Saying that I remember when £50 got you a car with tax and test on it... Good old days..

Aye, tell me about it! Youngest will be 17 in September and the daughter's car needs replacing too. The semiconductor shortage (and a few other things) have cause such a huge problem with the supply of new vehicles, that second hand car prices are through the roof. We could sell Mrs. Avocet's car today for about £2500 more than we paid for it in October 2020! Sadly, most manufacturers I talk to, seem to think this is going to continue at least for the rest of this year.

Hi all,
Just to say (having been motor trade for over 40+yrs and 30 running my own body shop). My advise to buying a Cat N or S (structural repair necessary.. non structural repair necessary). If the vehicle you are looking at seems to be to good to be true, then it probably is. Always take a professional bodyshop technician with you or have the vehicle fully assessed before you part with your money. Don't believe any advert that states "vehicle Was Cat **" because it still is however well its been repaired. Please do understand that there are some very good repairers who do a great job and a thorough job by using second hand parts and by using proper / skilled repair techniques and these vehicles can be great for years.
My own Shogun is a Cat C (now Cat N) but drives and looks great even though I repaired it some 15yrs ago.
The salvage repaired vehicles I see thesedays are poorly repaired and refinished and most are within 3yrs old so they don't require an mot test. These have been rushed repaired purely for maximum profit. Don't buy these, however good a bargain they may seem. Always check who repaired the vehicle and see if a parts list or original estimate & photos are still available. Most vehicles I buy and sell these days are not salvage because I can buy them at the same price and still get a reasonable profit without the hard work.
So, Don't not buy a salvage repaired vehicle... But if you really do want one get it fully checked, do your research and remember that some insurers add a premium for the these.
Good luck.
I agree. And it's not just that some insurance companies will load your premium if it has been a write-off. Some won't touch write-offs at all! (Take a bow, Hastings Direct...).:mad:

Personally I wouldn’t touch one, you don’t know how badly damaged it was before the repair and the quality of the workmanship.

There are an awful lot of high end cars ending up on Main Dealers forecourts having been badly damaged, repaired and sold as “approved” vehicles with a clean bill of health.

They are “unrecorded” so not on any register as cat s or the new equivalent.

There is a Facebook group called “dodgy cars” well worth a look, it’s a real eye opener.

Sponsored Links
Back