1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Condensate pipe straight into the ground outside

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by A90, 14 Nov 2020.

1. A90

A90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone,

I wonder if you can help.

I had a leak recently and this was because the person who installed the combi boiler forgot to connect the waste pipe to the condensate pipe. The company came round and a different guy connected the waste pipe. However, he didn't connect this to the sink waste, but he drilled a hole in the wall so it could go outside. He then added some pipe so that the water leads directly into the ground. I don't think he has connected it to a drain. See photo attached.

Won't this make the ground soggy with time? What other effects would it have?

I'd be really grateful for any comments.

Thank you,

A90 IMG-20201113-WA0010.jpeg IMG-20201111-WA0023.jpeg IMG-20201111-WA0021.jpeg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. picasso

picasso

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's as rough as **** ! , get the original installer back to do it properly.

• Like Like x 3
  4. A90

A90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Picasso... I have actually just seen a similar thread and it's mentioned that the slightly acidic water from the pipe could damage the brickwork over time...

• Like Like x 1
  5. gas112

gas112

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    if he he is putting it outside like that then it needs a soakaway fitted and limestone chippings to neutralise the condense and

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The ideal would be to run it to the sink.But do not be getting too excited about a pint of water a day..Especially in our country.Some like nothing better than be super outraged at a photo of a few plumbing joints .

7. picasso

picasso

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You would think if your paying for a boiler installation it would be done to the standards/regs/installation instructions but no its easier to bullsh1t the punters with nah dont get excited its only a pint of water.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Life is not perfect..Not worth having a heart attack over for the OP and making out it is major

9. picasso

picasso

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Very true....

I did not say it major just said it was rough.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    It is not "only a pint of water"

Boiler condensate is acidic and eats through concrete, mortar and limestone, all if which can be quite important to a house.

I had a neighbour with a persistent drip onto his paving, it ate a crater through the concrete with just loose small stones and sand remaining.

If the boiler is in a kitchen with a sink nearby, running it to a waste or drain is a trivial job.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Give over John

• Like Like x 1
  13. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    are you telling me you've never seen it?

14. download (1).jpeg
    Condensate causing a crater ...No.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  15. oilhead

oilhead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm never a fan of soakaway where the end of the pipe is buried in the ground, even with the limestone chippings. Not sure offhand about the specified distance from buildings but there is one.
    I've had two instances where the soakaway has clogged up with dust and soil, and backfilled into the boiler.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Spot the errors..Non Baxi fill loop..Unsleeved cables.Exploded bricks caused by hammer drill instead of core drill..Untidy PRV terminal..could of used much tidier terminal..missing mortar..compression.joint..solder preferred..etc etc..

17. Indeed..could clog up under a sink too..or all the crap in ideal Ali sumps blocks them..Alsorts blocks them..or they freeze.