Condensate pipe straight into the ground outside

A90

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I wonder if you can help.

I had a leak recently and this was because the person who installed the combi boiler forgot to connect the waste pipe to the condensate pipe. The company came round and a different guy connected the waste pipe. However, he didn't connect this to the sink waste, but he drilled a hole in the wall so it could go outside. He then added some pipe so that the water leads directly into the ground. I don't think he has connected it to a drain. See photo attached.

Won't this make the ground soggy with time? What other effects would it have?

I'd be really grateful for any comments.

Thank you,

A90
IMG-20201113-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20201111-WA0023.jpeg
IMG-20201111-WA0021.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That's as rough as **** ! , get the original installer back to do it properly.

Thanks Picasso... I have actually just seen a similar thread and it's mentioned that the slightly acidic water from the pipe could damage the brickwork over time...

if he he is putting it outside like that then it needs a soakaway fitted and limestone chippings to neutralise the condense and

Sponsored Links
The ideal would be to run it to the sink.But do not be getting too excited about a pint of water a day..Especially in our country.Some like nothing better than be super outraged at a photo of a few plumbing joints .

You would think if your paying for a boiler installation it would be done to the standards/regs/installation instructions but no its easier to bullsh1t the punters with nah dont get excited its only a pint of water.

You would think if your paying for a boiler installation it would be done to the standards/regs/installation instructions but no its easier to bullsh1t the punters with nah dont get excited its only a pint of water.
Life is not perfect..Not worth having a heart attack over for the OP and making out it is major

It is not "only a pint of water"

Boiler condensate is acidic and eats through concrete, mortar and limestone, all if which can be quite important to a house.

I had a neighbour with a persistent drip onto his paving, it ate a crater through the concrete with just loose small stones and sand remaining.

If the boiler is in a kitchen with a sink nearby, running it to a waste or drain is a trivial job.

• Thanks
Reactions: A90
I'm never a fan of soakaway where the end of the pipe is buried in the ground, even with the limestone chippings. Not sure offhand about the specified distance from buildings but there is one.
I've had two instances where the soakaway has clogged up with dust and soil, and backfilled into the boiler.

• Thanks
Reactions: A90
Hi everyone,

I wonder if you can help.

I had a leak recently and this was because the person who installed the combi boiler forgot to connect the waste pipe to the condensate pipe. The company came round and a different guy connected the waste pipe. However, he didn't connect this to the sink waste, but he drilled a hole in the wall so it could go outside. He then added some pipe so that the water leads directly into the ground. I don't think he has connected it to a drain. See photo attached.

Won't this make the ground soggy with time? What other effects would it have?

I'd be really grateful for any comments.

Thank you,

A90View attachment 211300 View attachment 211301 View attachment 211302
Spot the errors..Non Baxi fill loop..Unsleeved cables.Exploded bricks caused by hammer drill instead of core drill..Untidy PRV terminal..could of used much tidier terminal..missing mortar..compression.joint..solder preferred..etc etc..

I'm never a fan of soakaway where the end of the pipe is buried in the ground, even with the limestone chippings. Not sure offhand about the specified distance from buildings but there is one.
I've had two instances where the soakaway has clogged up with dust and soil, and backfilled into the boiler.
Indeed..could clog up under a sink too..or all the crap in ideal Ali sumps blocks them..Alsorts blocks them..or they freeze.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back