Cooker Hood Help

I'm sorry if you feel that Winston has not added any value to this thread. I have found his input very entertaining, especially after his assertion a few days ago that is not wrong.
He quite clearly posted
only to be faced with that beautiful photograph.
pxl_20211201_201616478-jpg.252822

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
One has to ask why the hood was not internally protected. After all FCUs are not available or compliant in most other countries.

Sponsored Links
One has to ask why the hood was not internally protected. After all FCUs are not available or compliant in most other countries.
Have you not worked this out yet whinny?
It's obvious...

1. As so many posters on here state, including you; The OCD it 0nly there to protect the cable. So in order to comply with the UK regs, (that is where I live and why I spend time in this forum called ELECTRICS UK) the flex requires protection with an OCD somewhat smaller than 16A. In the UK we are fortunate enough to have some better requirements and facilities than in those other countries you keep bleating on about.

2. Why should manufacturers fit this pointless additional fuse when the fuse in the FCU or plugtop (required to comply with UK regs and regularly recommended in their instructions) is perfectly adequate for the purpose?
upload_2021-12-3_12-56-28.png

The manufacturers are rubbing their hands with glee everytime someone like you disregards their instructions and installs without the required external fuse as they know premature failure is likely and likely to result in another purchase of their product.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The OCD it only there to protect the cable. So in order to comply with the UK regs the flex requires protection with an OCD somewhat smaller than 16A.

Not if the correct flex is fitted, I believe 1.5mm is OK for 16amp.

Why should manufacturers fit this pointless additional fuse when the fuse in the FCU or plugtop (required to comply with UK regs and regularly recommended in their instructions) is perfectly adequate for the purpose?
View attachment 252986
Rubbish. Plugtops don't have fuses anywhere. Some plugs do. There is no UK reg saying a fused plug has to be used for anything. BS 546 plugs are still compliant for use in the UK and you know it.
The manufacturers should fit internal protection as it is not known what type of plug may be used, and certainly when sold outside the UK (and a very few other places) it won't be a fused type.

Pre-wired boilers do not have anything as big as 1.5mm2 flex.

I suppose there is no need to fit an internal fuse if the manufacturer has deemed the external fuse will do the job.

Obviously in the UK if a switched FCU is to be used, the installer may also wish to a plug and socket instead, subject to suitability, manufacturers instructions etc.

In a boiler instruction manual, in the English section it will request a 3 amp fuse to be fitted, what does it ask for the foreign countries?

I suppose there is no need to fit an internal fuse if the manufacturer has deemed the external fuse will do the job.

Obviously in the UK if a switched FCU is to be used, the installer may also wish to a plug and socket instead, subject to suitability, manufacturers instructions etc.

On a boiler manual, in the English section it will request a 3 amp fuse to be fitted, what does it ask for the foreign countries?

Boilers usually have an internal fuse around 2 amps.

The different languages in a boiler manual are direct translations of each other.

The different languages in a boiler manual are direct translations of each other.

Can't be - otherwise you would have a foreign country being told to fit a 3 amp fuse in their FCU or plug - something you have have already pointed out doesn't exist in other countries.

Therefore, their electrical information would be slightly different, surely?

Neither do cookers. What does that tell you?

Wrong way round.
The manufacturer cannot deem such a thing therefore will and do fit internal fuse(s) if required.

Surely they do not state an FCU must be used; merely a 3A fuse because they, like many electricians, think that is a requirement.

In a boiler instruction manual, in the English section it will request a 3 amp fuse to be fitted, what does it ask for the foreign countries?
They show the same diagram without the 3A fuse and, obviously without the text.

You will, as has been said before, find your flex on a 3kW kettle is technically, in our thinking, too small for 3kW and 13A fuse and 16A European crcuit.

Mine is 0.75mm²

As so many posters on here state, including you; The OCD it 0nly there to protect the cable. So in order to comply with the UK regs, (that is where I live and why I spend time in this forum called ELECTRICS UK) the flex requires protection with an OCD somewhat smaller than 16A. In the UK we are fortunate enough to have some better requirements and facilities than in those other countries you keep bleating on about...
Not if the correct flex is fitted, I believe 1.5mm is OK for 16amp.
So proof yet again winston has no idea what he is trying to say.
I don't understand why Winston has such an aversion to lighting circuits on what I believe the most popular size cable to use on lighting circuits. Especially as, generally speaking, the cost of 1.5mm² T&E is frequently negotiated down below the cost of 1.0mm² T&E.
...it is unnecessary and a waste of the planets valuable resources of copper...

...1.5mm is better for longer runs?
Yes it would pass electrical regs, but absolutely no point and a waste of copper and money.
1.5 mm is oversized, harder to use, costs more, and is a waste of the planets valuable supplies of copper.
This is only a tiny sample of similar comments.

But the question was "What do the instructions ask for in foreign countries?" - not in foreign languages in Britain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back