Couldn't get EICR due to no RCD Protection

I have just read the report and it states that the electrical installation covered was '25% sample test of fixed wiring only'

Is this okay?

I just assumed that the entire electrical installation would be covered.. However, looking online, apparently some electricians only cover 10%

Sponsored Links
You should have been asked beforehand about that and agreed but it is 'usual'.

I'm not sure what is meant by 25% of fixed wiring.
Perhaps tested at 25% of the points on the fixed wiring, e.g. test at 25% of the sockets.

I'm not sure what is meant by 25% of fixed wiring.
Perhaps tested at 25% of the points on the fixed wiring, e.g. test at 25% of the sockets.
https://imgur.com/a/9OERsDo

Part of the report

You should have been asked beforehand about that and agreed but it is 'usual'.

He probably did ask but in my haste to get the job done, it probably went through one ear and out the other:)

Thanks for your help (and all the other posters), you've been brilliant!

"Main fuse not labelled" does not make sense.

I don't think he's checked 25% of the fixed wiring, just opened 25% of the accessories and run tests.

Sponsored Links
Called an electrician to give me an EICR

However when he took a look at the fuse box he said that as it doesn't have RCD protection consequently there is no point in going ahead..

Is this correct?
It might be.

If you are a landlord, and you are having this done so you can let the property, then most, if not all, responsible landlords would say that be it a C2 or a C3, to let a property without RCD protection is not the done thing. Or indeed to risk any possible hassles by letting it with any codes present. If the electrician knows the situation then the best advice could easily have been that there's no point. Although you would have thought he'd have explained himself.

Other than that, it is not correct to say that, generically, there is no point to having an EICR done if there's no RCD, nor is it true to say that you have to have the CU updated. My advice is that you should, but that's for safety reasons, not regulatory compliance.

Be it C2 or C3, it will get coded, as it is a non-compliance with the current Wiring Regulations

upload_2019-6-5_16-47-46.png

No way should it be a C1, and quite honestly I'd argue against C2. Yes, it is potentially dangerous, but it is wrong to say that urgent remedial action is required.

"Advisable", yes, even "strongly advisable". But not "required".

Glad to see that my thread still has legs :D:D

"Main fuse not labelled" does not make sense.

I don't think he's checked 25% of the fixed wiring, just opened 25% of the accessories and run tests.
I am not a professional.. However if i'm honest, that was the impression that I got on the day..

No way should it be a C1, and quite honestly I'd argue against C2. Yes, it is potentially dangerous, but it is wrong to say that urgent remedial action is required.

"Advisable", yes, even "strongly advisable". But not "required".
Thanks for the comment.. It was very insightful

"Main fuse not labelled" does not make sense
That's down as a limitation rather than a code, so presumably he wrote that as he couldn't confirm that the fuse is suitable for the tails. I think that would be the case for a lot of properties, in ours even when the DNO guy came to replace the head, he had no idea what rating the old fuse was. The new fuse carrier was stickered on the outside of the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back