Daily Telegraph Expert says homeowners can fit own boilers

Bicycle inner tube is far better and if you leave the section with the inflation valve you can connect gauge to that....

Many a true word spoken in jest there.

Sponsored Links
Bicycle inner tube is far better and if you leave the section with the inflation valve you can connect gauge to that.....

Thought I'd be better connecting my hydraulic pressure tester to it - it will provide the added advantage of priming the gauge with water. Is 6 bar sufficient to ascertain gas tightness - although the last time it did this, water squirted out from hob control buttons.

Here goes then: Gas tightness/ soundness test.

Step 1. Ensure all hot water taps are switched off and boiler not calling for heat.

Will post Step 2. Tomorrow.

Assuming the house has a gas boiler of course........might be on economy 7 only and then you would look foolish......

Sponsored Links
below is a letter to me from Gassafe.

I also have a letter from Mr Thompson and the HSE saying that DIY gas in this country is not a problem.

And before anyone starts, I do not agree with DIY gas and never have, subject to a few exceptions.

Gas Safe Register Technical wrote:
> > For the attention of thescruff
> >
> > Dear Sir.
> >
> > Thank you for your e mail regarding the above subject. It is permissible
> > for some one to carry out gas DIY work in their own property as long
as
> > the person is competent to do so.
> >
> > The size of the boiler will depend on the heating/hot water load.
> >
> > I trust that this has answered your question?

It seemed to me that Scruff had not managed to elicit the correct response from Gas Safe. So I contacted GS and the HSE. I have received a reply from both, this is the one from the HSE-

"""I have contacted the Senior Communications Manager for the Gas Safe Register who has advised that they have been in contact with Jeff Howells of the Daily Telegraph regarding the article on the installation of multi fuel stoves.

Gas Safe Register have provided the Daily Telegraph with information in respect of the inaccuracies in the article and have requested that they print a correction to ensure that the public have the correct gas safety related information."""

We should now look for a ( low key ? ) correction to be printed!

Tony

What corrections might these be? Howell stated the law.

As long as the finished job is safe and does it does what it supposed to do.

Competence in a pro or DIYer is by what you do. Prior qualifications only allow you to peddle your skills for money, they do not mean you are competent, that is by what you do - the end result.

How is the diyer to know if it's safe? He has the required tools? he has registered the said work (if installed), and wrong....competence is by qualification in the case of gas

WRONG!!!! Competence is NOT by qualification. It is by what you do - the end result. Read what I wrote.

Outside of a court someones competence is demonstrated by a pass in an ACS or other relevant gas assessment.

Competence is not measured by a pieces of paper. It is measured by what you do - the end result.

what would happen if a diyer installed a new boiler,contacted gassaferegister,requested an inspection,

GasSafe are not interested in DIY gas work. Their field is registering those who peddle gas work for money.

Contact them about an unsafe DIY installation, and they will refer you to the HSE.
Contact them about an unsafe "professional" installation, and they will see to it.

again i ask where in the gas regs does it define competence dextrous?
Taken in conjuction with HSE definition of competence "A competent person is someone who has sufficient training and experience...", Part B of the regs (section 3) make it a pretty clear (although I admit, not exactly concise) definition.

That is related to professional work.

Not sure I agree with the wording "can't be prosecuted", since if one (a DIYer can be viewed as a self-employed person (indeed a gas installer as he is installing a gas appliance) working for profit (as in not paying someone else to improve his home, which will be reflected in the selling price as a job not needing doing))

He is not working for monetary profit. He gain no money. His bank account's figures never went up.

again i ask where in the gas regs does it define competence dextrous?
Taken in conjuction with HSE definition of competence "A competent person is someone who has sufficient training and experience...", Part B of the regs (section 3) make it a pretty clear (although I admit, not exactly concise) definition.
A competent person is someone who has sufficient training and experience
no mention of qualifications but I Definitely agree with the definition
PART B GAS FITTINGS - GENERAL PROVISIONS

Qualification and supervision

3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

still there is no definition of competence everything else below here relates to working on gas for reward note the words at the begining of paragraph 3 "Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2)"
"without prejudice" means in legal terms that what you say can't be used against you if the dispute turns into court proceedings.this statement protects the government from libel, its basically saying you have to be a RGI to work on gas for profit do not try to use the excuse that the law says that you have to be only competent ( the general term)

(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.
4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of
(a) the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or
(b) the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.
etc etc

But TBH its easy to forget that this is a DIY forum as there is a lot of trademen that get on here and there are two sides to this debate

Good post. There is not two sides to it at all. There is one side - the law. DIY is legal if the DIYer is competent.

A lack of competence would equally be demonstrated by holding an ACS and having made a mess of gas work like an explosion, CO poisoning or a gas leak.

I dont think that is the case.

It is the case

He is deemed competent just BECAUSE he has passed the assessment!

He is not. A piece of paper does not mean you are competent. Competence is what you do - the end result. The piece of paper means he can peddle gas work for money.

You are a very confused person. Many on this thread have told you how it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back