Dangers of the wrong tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't post much here any more, but I came across this and it reminded me of this place....

The subject below is an ex-member here (notb665), who died in an accident - It was very tragic, and it was made more so because he was one of those posters who had 'lived a lot of his life' on here, updating us on his relationships and children, amongst other things.

Anyway, even though his does seem to be an extreme example, I just wanted to post this as a reminder to not misuse power tools and to always wear protection.

Sorry for the serious post....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-died-improvised-power-tool-sliced-neck.html

Sponsored Links
I have not forgotten notb665, it was a very sad day.

I have stopped using my engine power chainsaw, I like to see some of these power tools with licence to buy after training programme such as chainsaw, grinder etc. It's wrong that I bought an engine chainsaw without training but do I know what I'm doing? I'm confident but is it enough to prevent an accident?

Edit: missing word

We use power tools so often and become blase about them. It's so easy to forget the awesome power they have - even a cheap jigsaw can do in seconds what it would take minutes to do with a hand saw.

How many of us have adapted a tool or used it beyond or outside its design limits, and all for the sake of saving a couple of minutes or a few quid hiring or buying something more appropriate?

I know I have.

This post is a highly poignant reminder for us all.
RIP notb665

There but for the grace of god go I.
I did almost the exact same thing. I tried to slice a stump off with cutting disk. Lots of smoke some kickback and a lot of swearing. After the first one I decided to hire a stump grinder to do the other 20 odd.
RIP notb665

Sponsored Links
It's very sad to hear and goes to show how vunerable we are when the correct tools and PPE are not in place.
Should be a poignant mesage to us all.
May he rest in piece.

A good post.

Something like this can happen to any diyers out there and this should make everyone think twice about safety.

Hope his family are feeling a little better now. :(

Mr Green's partner, Joanne Green, returned home from her daughter's nursery on December 19, 2007, to find him collapsed and covered in blood.

I seem to recall she was in the house, the kitchen? and he staggered in, clutching his neck? Not that it matters. :(

its not just power tools that need respect
hand tools are just as bad if misused
so far in my life it has been misuse of hand tools that have drawn blood!
stanley knife - chopped end of finger whilst model making
hammer - smacked thumb twice in 6 months, bruise under nail, ouch!
screwdriver - stabbed finger when it slipped
screwdriver - sliced open top of thumb with a tin plate boat chimney when screwdriver slipped while is was prising of the tar from the inside!! hospital visit and 6 stitches :oops:

A sad loss as I used to learn guitar off 'not' on utube. After looking at posts he made on here, he had explained what he was going to do, but critically... never explained how he had planned to do it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and no one could have anticipated an awful accident like that.

A great bloke by all accounts and sadly missed. He seemed to be greatly involved with this site before his accident and I for one wish I had 'chatted' to him.

His guitar tuition though, is (was) wonderfull and Im sad to hear of his death as without this site I would never have known about it.

Paul

Very sad indeed.
Working on your own is a risk in itself. Even if the other person just says "that looks dangerous" and just might make you stop and think.

weve all taken them for granted or taken short cuts and but for the grace of god.

One thing is forsure, it makes you realise thatlife is too short, there are more important things in life than squabbling or working all the hours god sends. You really should never miss time with your family because you never know what may happen.

I used to look out for his posts. I miss him.

Nice to be reminded of good people that are np longer with us

Thanks

:)

god rest him and my he walk with his family

reading this is just awful,poor bloke and his family that he left behind.
but it does prove that we as the whole should not adapt tools that might do,we should insist the tools can do.as as previously said hind sight is wonderful.

rest in peace geezer :(

Didn't know him myself but such a tragedy that we must all learn from.
Each tool is deigned for a specific purpose and should only be used for that purpose.
Having said that I don't know anyone who hasn't 'cut corners' to get omething done or used something because they thought it would save going to the shed or tool box to get the right tool.

Rest in Peace fella.
Sad thought but you have probably saved someone else by your actions.

Sponsored Links
Back