Dormer loft conversion-Down lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently having my loft converted and I plan to have some downlights in the flat roof dormer. Just wondering is the a way to have downlighs without cutting away the celotex? I have seen these 'low profile integrated led' ones which are quite slim. Has any one come across these? I ask as I don't want to cut large holes in the insulation!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, by service void do you mean adding a false ceiling? The head room is fairly limited as it is. The joists going into the rsj for the dormer are 120mm, filled with 100mm celotex.

Is the a way to avoid cutting away at the celotex? Do low profile down lights exist

Although the actual led light bit is less than 20mm in some cases, there still needs to be space to accommodate the driver that runs them and that is somewhat bigger and needs a bit of airflow

Sponsored Links
Locksonline_82363981P1-228x228.jpg
The lamp holder shown is called a GX53, I have never used one, but clearly a flush mount, it would seem both CFL and LED lamps fit the holder, in other words lamps which do not produce much heat.

This is one of many options, there are many LED lamps which do not have replaceable bulbs which are more flush than example shown, not sure about the idea of not having a replaceable bulb, but they do seem popular.

Because a bigger diameter to the 2 inch lamp which sinks into the ceiling likely they would better, 2 inch is really to small.

If you chop holes in your insulation your local friendly building inspector will tell you to bloomin well take them out and re-instate the insulation. Or you won't get your building notice signed off.
The Aurora lights (above) may be a solution but even they need a 40mm free depth.
Note that the Aurora lights are 4", 5", 6" in diameter.

I've known builders to construct a special frame within the ceiling joists house spots whilst maintaining some integrity of the celotex.

How compliant this actually was I couldn't say though.

It's compliant as long as the overall u value is good enough, and the worst u value is still better than the limiting u value. Also the vcl has to be sufficient.
I'd expect the bco to want to see evidence that it's been worked out correctly, but they may or may not.

The bottom line is he will never know, in all my days and probably 40 plus loft conversions, I've never seen a BCO pull out down lighters or question if the insulation has been moved.
I understand your concern though, find some slim LEDs and set the driver/s somewhere remote maybe behind a panel in the wall, or under the eaves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back