Double Pole 100a Henley Block for my hi-fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I wonder if this complies with all of the standards that it should to be sold for use as described?

The article answers that question with

The cable is supplied in single insulated form. For installation purposes the cable must be double insulated, which can be provided at additional cost.

and also says

• Number of conductors - 16 (eight Live & eight Neutral, colour coded brown & blue)
Total live or neutral conductor diameter – 4mm

Is that equivalent to 4mm diameter solid copper or is it a 4mm diameter of copper strands with air spaces between them.

The article answers that question with

The cable is supplied in single insulated form. For installation purposes the cable must be double insulated, which can be provided at additional cost.
There's more to making a cable which complies with the requisite BS standards than just adding a bit of sheathing and hoping it complies.

Does it comply?

Has it been properly tested?

Is it CE marked?

Is it BASEC approved?

and also says

• Number of conductors - 16 (eight Live & eight Neutral, colour coded brown & blue)
Total live or neutral conductor diameter – 4mm

Is that equivalent to 4mm diameter solid copper or is it a 4mm diameter of copper strands with air spaces between them.
4mm diameter means a csa of 12.6mm².

Which won't fit into the terminals of a BS 1363 socket outlet.

Another reason not to buy that charlatan's products (if any more were needed) - he is ignorant and incompetent.

Its strange how Hi-Fi buffs will spend thousands on snake oil products then happily plug in an MP3 ipod and claim its brilliant!!!!

Sponsored Links
It's all just such a load of bollerix. How the hell can they justify this sort of thing?

No one can justify the type of equipment sold on that (and other) websites.

However, once the price of the items reaches silly levels (such as 10k for a speaker cable), there are some people who will buy it just because it is that expensive. They will then start to claim all kinds of impossible benefits and improvements, both in an attempt to impress other people and to try to explain to themselves why they just wasted a huge wedge of money on something which does absolutely nothing.

I would suggest you guys lay off Russ Andrews - he is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this sort of thing.

I have worked in the high end hifi world for 16 years, some of the things I have heard would amaze you.

He isn't the only one.

Some of which I may agree with - a lot I wouldn't.

Here is another example, and nothing to do with Mr Andrews either:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1X6PM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Read the product description and check out some of the reviews. And the customer provided images.

Just to clarify - this product is an ethernet cable. 1.5m long. Just like the ones used to connect a computer to a switch or router. They can be purchased for less than £1.

Here is another example, and nothing to do with Mr Andrews either:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1X6PM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Read the product description and check out some of the reviews. And the customer provided images.

Just to clarify - this product is an ethernet cable. 1.5m long. Just like the ones used to connect a computer to a switch or router. They can be purchased for less than £1.

Some quality reviews there. Glad to see that not all the reviewers are taking it too seriously - I haven't laughed so much in ages!

One Hi Fi unit that cost over £600 in the 1970's had a single PCB that had burnt. A replacement PCB was obtained, price £25 after a bit of argument about rip off prices and false advertising claims

A posh case welded shut hid this one board with all the components including front panel controls mounted on it and a switch mode power supply. Two lumps of cast iron were included to give weight to the impression it had lots of important things inside.

A promise of confidentiality was a condition of getting the replacement PCB to repair a unit which had a lot of sentimental value for the owner.

But when people advertise items at rip off prices to gullible customers then I have no qualms about talking about them. If they are happy to make profits then they should tolerate justified criticism.

Of course some of them may actually believe the claims they are making for their product.

This cable does allow for incredible sound. However, I believe a possible side-effect from the use of this cable has not been noted by the manufacturers. Upon playing Prince's "Kiss" my speakers ... how should I put this? ... Well, I think they ... climaxed.

That's not the end of it. Oh, no. My stereo system is now sentient. And horny. Not one of my other appliances has warranty coverage for ... well ... the kind of 'damage' they are currently receiving.

I'd just unplug the darn thing, but it's developed an ability to arc pure energy when it feels threatened. It took two scorched electricians to figure that out. And, yes, I've already tried flipping the breaker switch. Doesn't work. The power won't go out. I don't understand how the hell it pulled that off.

Please, if anyone has any tips or advice, I'm getting desperate. My living room is some kind of sick, mechanical sex den and it's really freaking me out.

:LOL: :LOL:

I was under the impresison that it had a different pair arrangement than an ethernet cable from pictures i've seen. Dunno enough about the application to know if that matters or not.

Still I agree it's an insane rip off.

You can tell that the original poster is a nutter - no sane person would believe all this hype about special cabling arrangements for a HiFi setup!

All you need is a dedicated B16 circuit, wired in 2.5.sq.mm T+E, with RCD as required by 17th edition, feeding a few double sockets behind the HiFi, and it's all sorted. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back