ebay yet again

E

EddieM

OK, hands up I am the mug here. I bought a "bargain" item, only to find when it was delivered it was, yep, a counterfeit. Anyone else had this rather unfortunate experience?

Fortunately I paid by [shudder]Paypal[/shudder] so I'm protected, well I think anyway.

Sponsored Links
Happened to me a few years back - bought some software which was meant to be an original with license. When it turned up it was a copy in a badly printed case, the serial number being one which I think everyone else with a pirate copy in the country was using.
By the time the item arrived the sellers account had been terminated. He wouldn't respond to any emails, went to mediation but that was a waste of time as he just said he told me that I had to use my own serial number - not what was on the original page. Paypal didn't want to know either - they said as I recieved the product there was nothing they could do but record the transaction. Waste of time.
Ebay had a compensation scheme however the amount of hoops to jump through made it non-viable. <£100 made it impossible to claim from my credit card too.
He only had a "personal phone number" which is a premium rate, so phoning him would just put the icing on the cake.
In the end I just felt let down by ebay and paypal, since then I have used ebay occasionally but always buyer beware.
Hopefully they have got their act together now.

I always make the point of asking a few pertinent questions, that way you have the answers on record if things are not as they should be, useful in any disputes.
You should be wary of bargain items though, you are hardly likely to get a genuine Rolex, for Timex prices, buyer beware!

Wotan

Sponsored Links
OK, hands up I am the mug here. I bought a "bargain" item, only to find when it was delivered it was, yep, a counterfeit. Anyone else had this rather unfortunate experience?

Fortunately I paid by [shudder]Paypal[/shudder] so I'm protected, well I think anyway.

No, not been stung - yet. What was the item? Name and shame the seller.

Anyone else had this rather unfortunate experience?
Yes my very first item I've bought with ebay, since then I kept well away from ebay for about a year as I thought there's a lot of dodgy dealing but to be fair there's a lot of honest sellers out there, I will not buy anything unless the seller have at least 99% feedback but you have to read the feedback as some buyer put in poor feedback for stupid reason.
My first item was an engine chainsaw which I never got as the seller done a runner, the seller has 98% feedback but the next few days the feedback went right down so thinking about it anyone can get caught out but I would say this is rare, paypal fully refunded my money minus £3 for sorting it out.

The couple of times i've got my money back it was 100% no fee?

If that's the case it could be a nice little earner for them(ebay), scam a few users here and there once people have got their money back less fee would they complain or investigate further or just be happy with the outcome?

Name and shame the seller.

Well I won't name the seller as they have offered a refund :confused: but I'm my own worst enemy, I know that it is well documented that Global kitchenware (knives), don't ask, are frequently counterfeited.

So buying a Global knife normal price around £125 for £35, well as I say, who's the fool. Me.

Well I won't name the seller as they have offered a refund :confused: but I'm my own worst enemy, I know that it is well documented that Global kitchenware (knives), don't ask, are frequently counterfeited.

So buying a Global knife normal price around £125 for £35, well as I say, who's the fool. Me.

Might have been ok. Like you say, it was most likely to be a copy for that price. What's the quality like?

Well, a happy ending, got a full refund and a free fake Global knife. I feel a little bad about it, 'cos it still would have cost something, but I suppose you should get your knuckles rapped if you palm of counterfeit goods as genuine.

I'll let you know how my fake chopper performs. :D

Sponsored Links
Back