Energy Saving in an Open Plan world

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve an open plan kitchen/diner/social space, that, as you can see, has a lot of glass.

5A5D52E3-EE9B-48CC-BD2C-E2D05D2AB67E.jpeg

F6D1912F-9108-444D-B3AA-0F7D6AE439C5.jpeg
0FA60514-0A6F-4099-8E0F-ADB89383D548.jpeg

It carries the same thermal delights as a conservatory. Scorchio in summer, freezing in winter. It measures about 8x8m.

The area has WarmUp UFH covering it, but I’d have to sell a body part to fund its operation these days… and there’s 4x large Rads with unknown BTU output, which does sufficiently heat the space.

The problem we have is at this time of year, and the speed in which the heat we’re pumping in…. Pumps out again!

I’m looking for ideas/suggestions as to what options might be available to ‘do something to the glassy areas to keep heat in’…

Would wooden blinds inside/outside help?
Internally fitted blinds?

If the room didn’t have the annoyingly tricky to do anything with shaped glass above, I’d have ran a long corner rail and had some theatre esque curtains installed… but really that isn’t going to fly…

369C7E89-846D-4AFF-9D44-A28F835C048F.png

thoughts?
Options?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you know how much insulation is in the walls floor and roof?

Do you know how much insulation is in the walls floor and roof?

Not a scooby, was all done by past owners.

However, I wouldn’t say they scrimped/cut corners.

There’s definitely cavity wall insulation (sprayed balls) on the solid wall bits… unsure what’s in the roof, and the glass is thick… presume triple glazed. Looks to be about 1” thick.

Triple glazing ftw.

Edit: you think you already have it.

You need to do a heat loss study.
Catalogue what the area has and doesn't have, check for unwanted draughts, leaks etc and then make a plan.

This may be realising that the heat loss (or gain) is unacceptable and removing some of the glazing, or you need active shuttering for the summer, and bigger heaters for the winter.

Don't rush into anything. See what you actually have/haven't 1st.

Sponsored Links
I’ve pretty much done that. We don’t have a door from this space to the rest of the house, which would help. But she won’t let me create a solution to that.

Ive blocked always open vents (that are solely for air purity).

All I really have left, is to explore some kind of blinds/way of covering the windows doors to keep the heat in/out depending on the season.

no expert but suspect the best you can hope for in heat loss terms with blinds is at worst perhaps 5% or less at best around 10% but suspect the actual savings will be wilth all windows shuttered and closed be nearer 5%-or less

If that extension was built properly it should be nice and warm. I wonder if your goal post beam system is bridging the insulation. An infrared thermometer will tell you the cold spots inside and warm spots outside. Survey every foot or so and record the hot and cold areas.

That vertical rad shown in the pictures is about 2 kW design heat output.

But I never find they benefit the room by 2 kW and probably because they are so good at heating the upper half or the room!

You seem to have two good sized skylights and there may be scope for fitting removable insulation within them to be removed during the summer months.

• Thanks
Reactions: snb
Thanks all for the ideas, the camera is a good idea. Ill see if I can get hold of one.

Open to many more suggestions :)

I'm not sure a camera will tell you much more than you can already see - the biggest heat loss by far will be from the glazing and frames. That is a *lot* of glass you've got there and I am surprised it managed to meet regulations given the presumably limited amount of heat loss improvements that could be made elsewhere in the building to offset what would be classed as 'excess glazing' (assuming your house is of similar age to that seen in the background).

Last edited:
House is 15 years, extension is 4-5 years.

Could you perhaps have some insulated panels made up, to fit into some of those windows, for use during winter? Likewise any roof lights. It will not help in summer though unless you were to leave the roof light panels in place.

Could you perhaps have some insulated panels made up, to fit into some of those windows, for use during winter? Likewise any roof lights. It will not help in summer though unless you were to leave the roof light panels in place.

It's probably something to consider. Each window might have to form a Tetris style playing field though, as 4 lots of one piece panels would take up a vast space.... in fact so would Tetris pieces but would be easier to handle :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back