Extracting the Urine

Sponsored Links
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25287108
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm does not bode well for us lot.

what do we actually want from our mps?????

we want transparency and honesty nothing hidden
much better to remove most "expenses" and add them to the salary

This pay rise was awarded by an independent body and, when first proposed, was rejected by all three major party leaders.

Call me a cynic, but could the people in charge of this 'independent' body possibly be good friends, or friends of friends, of MPs?

Are there any MPs in the job not for the money?

Sponsored Links
Given that this country will be in austerity mode permanently then its a pay cut they should be receiving.

BA, the government have forced 1% and sometimes 0% pay rises on public sector workers for the last few years. Apparently , if they had to vote on this proposed pay rise, 3/4 of all MP's would vote YES.
Perhaps if all expenses were removed, then an 11% rise might be acceptable. Did you know there are MP's claiming the full energy costs for heating and lighting their own homes? Bloody ridiculous.. I wonder what my employer would say if I presented him with my gas and electricity bills each year?

BA, the government have forced 1% and sometimes 0% pay rises on public sector workers for the last few years. Apparently , if they had to vote on this proposed pay rise, 3/4 of all MP's would vote YES.
Perhaps if all expenses were removed, then an 11% rise might be acceptable. Did you know there are MP's claiming the full energy costs for heating and lighting their own homes? Bloody ridiculous.. I wonder what my employer would say if I presented him with my gas and electricity bills each year?

You're right, Jock.

This country is becoming more and more like a tin-pot third world country in which the government takes everything whilst their people starve.

No, we're not quite there yet, but it looks like we're heading that way.

yes i do know they now get power bills paid under the present system after the 11% rise it will be the new system
my suggestion that would be universally popular would be to halve the wage then only people the ones who wanted to do the job would be there
but then the ones that couldnt afford the traveling costs or extra accomodation costs if they live far away so preclude people without a second income something i think no standing mp should have as we should have there full undivided attention not just a bit off it

We have far too many MPs and Peers, we don't need 650 MP's, sack 50% of them to make up the money, USA is a bigger county with 435 elected members

my suggestion that would be universally popular would be to halve the wage then only people the ones who wanted to do the job would be there
but then the ones that couldnt afford the traveling costs or extra accomodation costs if they live far away so preclude people without a second income something i think no standing mp should have as we should have there full undivided attention not just a bit off it

I agree with this idea. The only expenses paid should be travelling costs (and associated costs such as overnight stays if necessary) and these should be calculated according to where the MPs constituency is: the further from Westminster, the higher the allowance. And as Masona says, we don't need as many MPs as we presently have, so we could do without those who are only there to make money for themselves.

We have far too many MPs and Peers, we don't need 650 MP's, sack 50% of them to make up the money, USA is a bigger county with 435 elected members

That's perfectly true, although if we had fewer MPs they would claim to be responsible for more constituents than they have time to see. Personally, I think this argument would not hold water. Volunteers from the MP's party could deal with most enquiries, bringing those they cannot deal with to the personal attention of the MP. I think the number of MPs in the Commons could easily be halved, and neighbouring constituencies merged.

Whilst we're at it, the Lords should be pared down too. As things stand, it is pretty much an 'old boys' club', and membership should be by merit and not by how much potential members contribute to party funds. How these members would be elected is open to debate, but perhaps a workable method might be to invite anyone who wishes to to suggest candidates via the internet. Those with the highest number of suggestions would be invited to join, perhaps for a limited length of time.

I suppose we might have to limit the number of pop singers and footballers, though! :rolleyes:

Belgium managed ok without any government for over a year!!

When was that? And who decided how to run the country?

Not saying it's not possible, of course. In fact, what a good idea!

Incidentally, having occasionally watched Prime Minister's Question Time (accidentally, I might add!), I couldn't help but feel that all the shouting and jeering reminded me of a school playground.

You'd think that people considered suitable for running the country might be able to behave in a more adult fashion and at least let the speaker (not The Speaker - that midget's not worth listening to) say his/her piece without interruption.

Belgium managed ok without any government for over a year!!

When was that? And who decided how to run the country?

Not saying it's not possible, of course. In fact, what a good idea!

Incidentally, having occasionally watched Prime Minister's Question Time (accidentally, I might add!), I couldn't help but feel that all the shouting and jeering reminded me of a school playground.

You'd think that people considered suitable for running the country might be able to behave in a more adult fashion and at least let the speaker (not The Speaker - that midget's not worth listening to) say his/her piece without interruption.

civil service run any country. yes i too am appalled by the stupid braying and point scoring, its embarrassing.

no government actually run the country they dictate what has to change and the civil servants inform them if its possible and how it will happen
with no government input very little would change

Sponsored Links
Back