Five bins

Sponsored Links
the heading off the article is incorrect if read down the weekly collection is optional

"The separate recycling bins will no longer all be collected once a week, because councils find it cheaper and more efficient to collect some bins in one week and the others the next."

What's the problem with it? It's been that way round these parts for years now, it's no particular hassle.

Grey bin - general waste for landfill
Green bin - cardboard, garden cuttings etc., uncooked food waste
3 tubs:
a. Paper
b. Cans + plastic containers
c. Glass

The 3 tubs are emptied weekly along with one or other of the bins alternately.

I tend to find that the vast majority of stuff ends up in the recycling tubs and the bins get nowhere near full even on a two week cycle. Families can request double sized wheelie bins.

I dont mind alternate collections - that works OK for me & my large family.

However 5 bins! Oh come on, where the heck are people going to put them?

And when they empty them - they will all go into the same wagon!

Sponsored Links
We already have four bins. Now we can look forward to yet another one.

The black one - general waste - is always full to the brim and is collected fortnightly. The green one - garden waste - is usually empty (unless I've been mowing the lawn), is twice as big as the black one and collected weekly.

I'm not really sure what the point is anyway, as they are all mixed up at the depot and go to landfill. Ticking EU boxes, I suppose.

There's only one way out of this ridiculous situation, and many other dictatorial EU ideas: vote UKIP.

People won't get off their lazy ar$es, though, so I can only assume they are happy with the present situation. :rolleyes:

They all go to landfill anyway? Not around here, they have a different wagon for collecting the recyclables with different compartments for the contents of each of the 3 recycling tubs.

Having them all as wheelie bins does seem completely insane. 2 bins 3 boxes is OK. 5 bins per house is going to be completely ridiculous on your typical Victorian terraced street.

I've only one bin for tins.
Rest is burned. :rolleyes:

no one will ever have to use 5 full sized wheelie bins it will only ever be 2 or maybe 3
that picture off the rows off bins has been stage managed as the only way you would have that many bins is at flats and most have huge bins rather than single bins
they are also in perfect alinement so not a natural situation unless someone has bad ocd
round here is a box for paper and cardboard
a small food container
full sized other recycle stuff and
full size bin
the rubbish bin would last 6 to 12 weeks before its full
recycle bin 3 or 4 weeks
paper 3 or 4 weeks
and the food container 6 or 8 weeks
food and paper collected every week
big bins every fortnight

They all go to landfill anyway? Not around here, they have a different wagon for collecting the recyclables

Oh yes. We have four different wagons. They don't mix them up and send them away to landfill until they reach the depot.

no one will ever have to use 5 full sized wheelie bins it will only ever be 2 or maybe 3.

That's good news then. We currently have four, so they will reduce that to three now?

We have a black bin for refuse, green (lidded) bin for recyclate, and an optional (£50 per year) brown bin for garden waste. Quite a few councils operate the 'co-mingled' collection for recycling, paper, cans, cardboard, plastics and sometimes glass go in the one bin and are part hand/part mechanically sorted.

However, there is a group called 'Campaign For Real Recycling' that has tried to get material collected seperately to improve quality of recycled materials. Should they get their way then this can only mean umpteen containers for every home and all the councils operating the 'co-mingled' method being forced to abandon current methods, and supply a load more containers and completely rethink their collection methods. (All at taxpayers expense of course....) :eek:

no one will ever have to use 5 full sized wheelie bins it will only ever be 2 or maybe 3.

That's good news then. We currently have four, so they will reduce that to three now?

what exactly is the setup for your recycling
have you included your garden waste and is it normally collected every week??

So when every household has fifteen bins, where are we supposed to keep them? Will the council let me use the street?

No, I thought not.

Sponsored Links
Back