Fuse panel hot unit, smell in corridor below?

3ph do tend to follow your layout but bigger versions can vary, one 2KA I saw had 3 individual N terminals but only big enough for (say) a 10mm² wire. I haven't such a big meter for a long while though.
When you say "3 individual N terminals", do you actually mean 6 (3 'in' and 3 'out')?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
When you say "3 individual N terminals", do you actually mean 6 (3 'in' and 3 'out')?

Kind Regards, John
No, one Neutral terminal per phase, only used as a reference point. Bigger meters like that don't carry the neutral current too.

Has anyone come up with this thought?
upload_2021-6-18_14-31-4.png

Sponsored Links
Propah Charlie has probly nodded off by now!
I fear you're probably right!

@Propah Charlie : if you're still around, apologies for the diversion that has arisen, but it would be good if you could provide another photo of the area around the meter and fuseholder, taken 'straight on' so that we can see what is between the fuseholder and the meter, and what is to the left of the fuseholder. Thanks.

Kind Regards, John

No, one Neutral terminal per phase, only used as a reference point. Bigger meters like that don't carry the neutral current too.
Fair enough - but if it's "only used as a reference point", then what's the point in having three - are the all wired to the same place, with three conductors effectively in parallel?

Kind Regards, John

I don't think so, but I think that's pretty unlikley - although not impossible.

Kind Regards, John
Why unlikely? Much depends on what the guy has on the van at the time and all the old C/O's were double fused.

Why unlikely? Much depends on what the guy has on the van at the time and all the old C/O's were double fused.
Not 'unlikely' in terms of what might have been done but, rather, in my view, 'unlikely' in terms of what I can (and cannot) see in the photo. However, this is all just speculation.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough - but if it's "only used as a reference point", then what's the point in having three - are the all wired to the same place, with three conductors effectively in parallel?

Kind Regards, John
one 2KA I saw had 3 individual N terminals but only big enough for (say) a 10mm² wire.
Perhaps I could have used the word independant?

Are you saying that the three N terminals were not connected together? If so, what would one connect each of them to?

Kind Regards, John
Electrically (but not mechanically) there are effectively 3 single phase meters in the one enclosure.

Not 'unlikely' in terms of what might have been done but, rather, in my view, 'unlikely' in terms of what I can (and cannot) see in the photo. However, this is all just speculation.

Kind Regards, John
Agreed the view is difficult, my opinion is there seems to be something hiding behind the meter.

Happy to be wrong though.

Electrically (but not mechanically) there are effectively 3 single phase meters in the one enclosure.
Fair enough - but I still don't really understand "to what" one would connect each of these three 'independent neutral terminals'.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough - but I still don't really understand "to what" one would connect each of these three 'independent neutral terminals'.

Kind Regards, John
Well for starters it could depend on what's available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back