Fuse panel hot unit, smell in corridor below?

Well for starters it could depend on what's available.
Fair enough, but if one is going to use "three independent N terminals" that only seems to make sense if there are three (different) 'things available' to connect them to, and I'm not sure what they would be!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thank you, one and all, for your input... Neutral or otherwise. :ROFLMAO:

Didn't know about the doorbell transformer but learned something new. I'm hoping that's the only source of the warm-plastic-and-old-wood smell that's been puzzling me for a while until I felt around in the meter 'n' fuse unit for anything overheating. The transformer is the only warm thing in there; seems hotter than I'd expect (though I'm not sure how warm it should be under normal circs, knowing it's a transformer).

Here's hoping the home insurance emergency cover can replace it - or at least isolate it as a potential fire hazard.

Thanks for appreciating my late father's fuse wire collection. There's also a piece of candle in there, a cutter and a lighter. My father was ever-practical!

I'm also glad to have kicked off a thread within a thread concerning wiring layouts. :mrgreen:

I envisaged maybe the neutral could be a fuse linked out, but couldn't imagine the neutral would still be labelled 100A.
The 'labelling' to which you refer is surely the rating of the fuse holder, and therefore gives no indication of what size fuse (or link!) it contains, isn't it? In contrast, mine do have stickers which say "60A Fuse" (even though that is untrue, since I've watched 'the man' put 3 x 80A fuses into them :) ).

Edit: see pic in subsequent post (didn't appear here for some reason!)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes, I did momentarily, but thought better of complicating things further.

I envisaged maybe the neutral could be a fuse linked out, but couldn't imagine the neutral would still be labelled 100A.
It is just the carrier, not an indication of what's inside it.

My home C/O (a different design) has 2 matching carriers.

Fair enough, but if one is going to use "three independent N terminals" that only seems to make sense if there are three (different) 'things available' to connect them to, and I'm not sure what they would be!

Kind Regards, John
What about if there is no neutral?

Such as a 3 wire 3ph supply?

... and here the missing piccie ...

upload_2021-6-18_19-16-25.png

Kind Regards, John

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-18_19-15-55.png
    upload_2021-6-18_19-15-55.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
... The transformer is the only warm thing in there; seems hotter than I'd expect (though I'm not sure how warm it should be under normal circs, knowing it's a transformer). ... Here's hoping the home insurance emergency cover can replace it - or at least isolate it as a potential fire hazard.
Thanks for the update - that sounds fairkly promising.
I'm also glad to have kicked off a thread within a thread concerning wiring layouts. :mrgreen:
Sorry - these things do happen. However, the situation is fairly intriguing, and I therefore wonder whether it might be possible for you to provide the additional photo that I've mentioned, so that we could put a lot of the speculation to bed??

Kind Regards, John

Didn't know about the doorbell transformer but learned something new. I'm hoping that's the only source of the warm-plastic-and-old-wood smell that's been puzzling me for a while until I felt around in the meter 'n' fuse unit for anything overheating. The transformer is the only warm thing in there; seems hotter than I'd expect (though I'm not sure how warm it should be under normal circs, knowing it's a transformer).

Here's hoping the home insurance emergency cover can replace it - or at least isolate it as a potential fire hazard.

Thanks for appreciating my late father's fuse wire collection. There's also a piece of candle in there, a cutter and a lighter. My father was ever-practical!

Can you send a clearer photograph of the main supply cable, ie the thing on the left of your original picture
?

I worked in a property quite recently where all of that was nicely arranged adjacent to the consumer unit. several cards of fuse wire on individual hooks, candle mounted on a spike on a bracket, box of matches and a torch with the end completely rotted away. the fusebox was replaced in 1998 or before.

Thank you for giving us the chance to create such a tangent to your question.

Another phase:whistle:
You've lost me, even with the smilie :)

If there is no neutral available, there is surely nothing (let alone any of the phases already connected to the meter) that one can sensibly consider connecting to the neutral terminals of the meter, is there?

Kind Regards, John

You've lost me, even with the smilie :)

If there is no neutral available, there is surely nothing (let alone any of the phases already connected to the meter) that one can sensibly consider connecting to the neutral terminals of the meter, is there?

Kind Regards, John
With bigger systems there are often different arrangements. I know it's deviating from the sort of system we are considering - but consider metering on the 11KV part of the system where there are just 3 wires feeding a substation, the only way to record usage is to measure the current and voltage of each phase individually. Admittedly one will not be using a straightforward meter we are accustomed to but the format remains the same by using current transformers on each phase conductor and a voltage transformer across two phases. Commonly down to say 20A and 110V

At the end of the day power = VI and we have both available.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back