Gobby dog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice day, only needed milk so decided to take the dog for a ride on the bus to collect milk. I'm not too unhappy leaving her lashed to a bit of street furniture for a minute, whilst I nip in the local Coop for milk, but I wouldn't leave her longer. Waiting for the 'there' bus, an elderly woman joined me waiting, the dog did her usual goppy yap at her, with the tail wagging wildly, which didn't seem to bother the woman at all. She has always yapped like that, incurable (the dog that is). All three of us got on and the dog wanted to get close up to sit with the woman and pestering to be stroked by her, which she complied with. Another five minutes and the dog would have wanted to be sitting on her lap.

Waiting with several more, for the bus back home, not a single bark. Only three stops to go, us likely first to be off, so I tried to let everyone get on before us so we would be able to find somewhere near the front - except one woman who cowered back and absolutely refused to go ahead of us. On we got, found a place near the front, dog settled herself down, said woman, still maintaining large gap gets on, then rushes past us, to the back of the bus, obviously obviously absolutely terrified of the dog.

I have never understood this irrational fear of dogs, that some people have.

Sponsored Links
I have never understood this irrational fear of dogs, that some people have.
It's not rational to think that nobody need be scared of your dog. It's sensible to assume that everyone is scared of your dog, and train it not to bother others.

I would never, for example, leave a small child alone with a dog, cos I never want to be the, "But he wouldn't hurt a fly, so I don't know what could have happened.", owner who now has to arrange my five year-old's funeral.

Sponsored Links
I think Harrys dogs are border collies, Ive never heard of one attacking a human.

Correct, and nor have I. Her much older step brother once bit me accidentally, when we first got her and he snapped at her for eating some of his dinner. He caught my hand when I was trying to protect her.

My mother who had a bad experiance with a dog as a child would rather jump in a snake pit than go within 10ft of any dog large or small.

I judge animals and people, as individuals, each are different, with their own individual issues. Some bite some don't. Some people need muzzles.

You said irrational people Harry, I gave an example of why a grown woman had a fear of dogs, are you saying my mother was irrational.

They are one of the worst breeds for biting children.
is there actually evidence that can prove that?

the NHS doesn’t record breed of dog, so apart from insurance or police claims it’s pretty hard to substantiate.

tbh we're all different re things that do/don't freak us out. Could be one of a 100 things that have led to that woman being like that. Maybe she had a bad experience with a dog when younger for example.

I'd assert any breed of dog can bite, although owners of whatever breed is being discussed in that context often (strongly) disagree.

I'm a bit like that with cats, don't like them, don't trust them, don't like them anywhere near me.

Sponsored Links
Back