Government asks firms to employ more young British people.

Sponsored Links
Quite frankly I am appalled at the iliteracy, attitude and appearance of 99% of people who think I should waste my time interviewing them.

This is the problem with an over generous welfare system. It allows many people to adopt a lifestyle and appearence that makes them unemployable. Many undoubtably do it deliberately.

Unfortunately, the British education system isn't fit for purpose either. My father grew up in a really poor area of Bristol, but he benefitted from a standard of education that you would only get from a private school these days. Kids were encouraged to perform, not worried about being competetive or wallowing in the human rights of yak farmers in Boilvia or similar drivel.

to add even more petrol to the fire.... ;)

...just how bad do you have to be at teaching, in order to fail to teach a child to read???????

I accept (just) that writing is slightly more taxing......

and Maths was a subject that completely flumoxed me, but even I can add up etc

something has got to change in this country, and quick! - I will be in a nursing home in about 20 years and the thought of what sort of care I will get, well.......... :eek:

Sponsored Links
to add even more petrol to the fire.... ;)

...just how bad do you have to be at teaching, in order to fail to teach a child to read???????

I accept (just) that writing is slightly more taxing......

and Maths was a subject that completely flumoxed me, but even I can add up etc

something has got to change in this country, and quick! - I will be in a nursing home in about 20 years and the thought of what sort of care I will get, well.......... :eek:

48 in my class aged 8...We could all read and write and add up...some better than others.
But 'The cat sat on the mat' worked for us without all the clever clever rubbish they teach now.
Same with the times tables...regarded nowadays as teaching 'parrot fashion' But from an early age I knew what 8x9 was immediately without having to look at a calculator.

The main reason for any employer taking on foreign labour is their cheapness. The CBI said as much today. How many people here could pay a mortgage, run a vehicle & send their kids to higher education on minimum wage?
British industry doesn't give a s**t about British workers, but when did it?

Two TV programmes come to mind.

One was last week where four long term unemployed women were the participants. Four were required to turn up for some voluntary work. One failed to turn up. Then one woman dropped out saying she could not take it as looking for a job was stressful. One was applying to drive a truck when she did not have licence to do so. Remaining three were put through their paces to dress up properly, on what to do at an interview etc. Of three two got the job at which point I started station surfing.

Another program highlighted the laziness of long term on the dole type that have no interest in getting a job. One had to work on a farm to harvest asparagus. He hacked away without interest resulting in damaged spears. Another had to work on a farm to pick potatoes. He was more interested in picking a fight. The farmers that gave these lads a chance were well pi55ed off.

The difference is, the foreign workers are working for a low pay. That may well be true. BUT will the british worker get out of bed at 6.00AM to labour on a farm when he gets money in pocket for staying in bed till noon?

A friend of mine stayed at a hotel up north for a week. For 6 days he got impecabble service. On the 7th day when the polish staff was off duty, the service was in the gutter.

If you guys were employing people, I wonder who you would favour well knowing the service has to be good and bad service will hit your pocket hard.

There was a programme on channel four where an American economist visited the UK to examine the situation with unemployment. He went to Liverpool and a few other cities with the highest unemployment to hold workshops with people who were struggling to find work.

He was absolutely gobsmacked at their attitude to jobs and money. He said they kept bringing up objections to working and they found it hard to imagine actually going to a job each day. He pointed out that this country had created a system where people have a choice to accept a 'minimum wage' for sitting at home, so any job that involves hard work has to offer much more money or look undesirable in comparison.

Joiner, I'm not in any way disagreeing with you that the system now seems to favour European workers.
It is also true that there are a lot of British job applicants who should not be allowed out without their parents.
The problem with this influx is that whilst it certainly helps the profit margins of the employers, the country is hit by a double whammy. In that we now have people unemployed who cannot survive on low wages & subsequently have to pay for their upkeep & also reap nationally questionable benefit from the immigrant community whilst also supporting them through the welfare system.
I cannot believe that there is a clear right and wrong here, ie Polish bad-British good or visa versa. But the one certainty is that the only clear winners are the employers. Whichever way you look at it (& this may take a bit of thinking) the taxpayer is now funding Farming & other industries to pay lower wages & therefore increase their profits.

In answer to DP, I saw the telly prog based in Wisbech, is that the one you're refering to?
I saw a young Polish guy cutting asparagus for the cameras, very impressive! How long do you really think he could do that for? When the locals turned up for work, they were blanked by the Poles & given little help or encouragement, even the foreperson ( a Pole) seemed to damn their every effort. Most of the Brits involved in the programme were career losers, we have them, every country has them. Poland has a far higher rate of alcoholism than us, you could just as easily transport a load of worthy Brits there and do a similar programme.
I'm not against the Poles in fact--my wife is of Polish parents who came over here after the war. They were fine upstanding people as are many who come here now. The idle tend not to cross borders looking for work. I went to Germany in the 70's & 80's with thousands of others, the Germans aren't fools, they took us on because we worked -far harder than the locals.

I watched the British V Polish workers program on Ch 4 earlier on in the year. They had a Polish Chippie V a British chippie. The foreman asked them both to make a stud wall partition. The Brit did it the way all us joiners would on site. The polish chap made a frame the correct size, then proceeded to construct another stud partition , within this frame.
The foreman was actually impressed with the Polish chaps effort and gave him more marks than the Brit. All whilst completely ignoring the fact that the Polish chap had used more materials than was necessary to complete the job. The whole program seemed to be very biased against British workers, picking fault with everything they did, yet praising Polish workers who clearly didn't have a clue what they were doing.

. I went to Germany in the 70's & 80's with thousands of others, the Germans aren't fools, they took us on .
bit like those who went over in `44 - fooled them then :mrgreen: Auf Wiedersehen ,Pet

Nige F said:
so am I - there are 2 L`s in illiteracy same as in B* llocks

I saw that too but let it pass. After all, a slip of the keyboard can happen to anyone. Just like this --

lymmranger said:
-- the dam teachers will be on strike for the next 3 years

So will there be a shortage of dam builders in three years time? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I watched the British V Polish workers program on Ch 4 earlier on in the year. They had a Polish Chippie V a British chippie. The foreman asked them both to make a stud wall partition. The Bit did it the way all us joiners would on site. The polish chap made a frame the correct size, then proceeded to construct another stud partition , within this frame.
The foreman was actually impressed with the Polish chaps effort and gave him more marks than the Brit. All whilst completely ignoring the fact that the Polish chap had used more materials than was necessary to complete the job. The whole program seemed to be very biased against British workers, picking fault with everything they did, yet praising Polish workers who clearly didn't have a clue what they were doing.

i remember that also, did you catch the part where the gaffa actually said he paid the polish bloke the same daily rate a british tradesmen would of got if doing the job.#

still waiting to bump into that fat ****

Nige F said:
so am I - there are 2 L`s in illiteracy same as in B* llocks

I saw that too but let it pass. After all, a slip of the keyboard can happen to anyone. Just like this --

lymmranger said:
-- the dam teachers will be on strike for the next 3 years

So will there be a shortage of dam builders in three years time? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
:D Well, it could be an American spelling ;) As to the builders , they got jobs @ Hoover ;)

Sponsored Links
Back