Ham sandwiches...

Does the UK still have trade apprenticeships.
Why waste money training someone up when you can import a ready trained worker from abroad.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the national approach.

Country "A" thinks it is a benefit to the nation to have citizens who are trained, competent and qualified. So it is a public good and can be provided at public expense, including trade bodies and public colleges, with support from industry, unions, employers, workers and educators. Result: good.

Country "B" hates public services and doesn't like education. So has ignorant and incompetent citizens and imports foreigners. Result: bad.

Time for schools or service providers to start teaching vocational skills then. I think the government are coming round to that way of thinking now.

Sponsored Links
In country "A" it is normal to find company directors, and Heads of Department, who are "Dr. Ing." or "Dipl. Ing." and are respected for their qualification.

In country "B" the highest post can be held by a person with a second-class degree in Classics from a fashionable elitist university.

The results speak for themselves.

I can understand why the middle classes supported remain.
Being part of the EU meant cheap European labour, the arrival of the Polish plumbers meant no more being held to ransom by British plumbers and associated trades.

Which is really easy. Oh, wait...

This was a throwaway line really.

But we can't staff our surgeries and hospitals- for years, we waited and watched until the Phillipines' nurses crossed the experience line, and offered them a package to come here. A school governor of mine was employed by our local health board to do the recruiting. She hated it and moved on. It's a national shame imo. A possible silver lining of the B word would be the improvement in craft training we'd need to fill the skills gap. Maybe.

Im pretty sure you don’t. We have a Spanish account for the villa expenses and my mate has a local account for his Sardinian expenses too. Neither are residents. I think it’s only if you’re an ex pat with no U.K. address that you may have a problem.
Opened pre-Brexit by any chance.
The rules have changed due to Brexit. Did no-one explain that to you?

Opened years ago and still in operation.
Well there you go. You have an address. Visa/Residency permits etc were not required when you opened your account.
The bank will not be enquiring into your current residency/visa status.

Exactly the same applies for expats with UK accounts. if they have a UK address they can keep their UK account.

Tell you what Notch. I’ll screen shot a post I put on the cc which shows date & time, when I get home later. It involves underfloor heating (which is my speciality) installed by your east European chums. Would love you to come to work with me for a couple of days. It might just change your mind.

Expat: from the latin ex patria. Out of the country/fatherland/homeland. Are there many expats without an address overseas? Another Brexit find-a-problem, seems to me.

Expat: from the latin ex patria. Out of the country/fatherland/homeland. Are there many expats without an address overseas? Another Brexit find-a-problem, seems to me.
I was referring to expats not having a UK address.
Exactly the same applies for expats with UK accounts. if they have a UK address they can keep their UK account.

IMO Most Ex Pats and retirees have sold up here in UK to enjoy EU benefits on the Costas so would not have a UK Address .

Surely you mean: IMO Most Ex Pats and retirees have sold up here in UK to enjoy good weather on the Costas so would not have a UK Address .

Sponsored Links
Back