Heating question - major flood after service, what’s gone wrong here?

Are you telling me that you don't cover the basic safety checks on an open vented system
since when was pipe work configuration a basic safety check ? so you are asked to service a BBU and the pump is below the floor, you get the floor up and get down there do you ? in your dreams maybe

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Sorry, I must have missed that. Not sure about the overflow but I imagine that would have been checked as the bloke fitted a new F&E tank and although I’m not sure about the boiler pipework, it’s in the same place where the old boiler was and only has a flow and return to it so I imagine not. Oh, and a mag filter but I don’t know if that was there on the old boiler but looks pretty new.
Apologies if it's been covered and I've missed it, but has this now been sorted? If so, can you briefly describe what was done.

Are you telling me that you don't cover the basic safety checks on an open vented system

Where in the boiler manual does it say that is a service requirement. With FGA poke and hope mob running riot, lucky if boiler case is removed let alone having a rummage in the loft.

Where in the boiler manual does it say that is a service requirement. With FGA poke and hope mob running riot, lucky if boiler case is removed let alone having a rummage in the loft.
Some boilers you dont even have to dust :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Apologies if it's been covered and I've missed it, but has this now been sorted? If so, can you briefly describe what was done.
Boiler setting has been turned down from Max, back to where it’s always been, about 2/3rds and all okay now.

Sorry not all Ok the problem still has to be addressed Im afraid
Yes, of course. I meant all okay in the sense that it’s back to how it has been since the boiler was installed a few years ago. It’ll have to be checked out thoroughly as I mentioned in post #64.

In my opinion, best option , get two people, one in the loft , the other at the boiler, crank it to max and the one in the loft watch what is happening, again my money is on the overflow (if actually fitted )

Sorry, I must have missed that. Not sure about the overflow but I imagine that would have been checked as the bloke fitted a new F&E tank and although I’m not sure about the boiler pipework, it’s in the same place where the old boiler was and only has a flow and return to it so I imagine not. Oh, and a mag filter but I don’t know if that was there on the old boiler but looks pretty new.

Why did he change the f&e?

Son said he took it outside and was doing something to it but whatever he was doing, it broke so he had to go away and get another one?

It is possible the cistern had mud like sediment in it due to pumping over at ANY boiler serving and either the cistern was old one and corroded and cleaning broke the rust blister or plastic that would be balloon like due to consistent heating whenever the pump ran. Possibly easier to wash out the sediment outside hence cistern removal

Can you confirm the pump keeps running for a while after the demand is over?

when is the system going to be looked at and who is going to pay for this inspection or is the lower boiler setting deemed to be acceptable despite pumpover at that temperature will still be killing the radiators

Last edited:
Son said he took it outside and was doing something to it but whatever he was doing, it broke so he had to go away and get another one?

It is possible that he discovered it was split and took it outside to fake breaking it whilst cleaning. I suppose we'll never know how the flood occurred.

Either way, the system should have been checked for ANY issues during the install and pump over should not have been possible.

If I were in the service guy's shoes, I would have been reluctant to continue servicing for a regular customer who had gone elsewhere for an install and, had I chosen to continue with servicing the new boiler, I would have gone over the whole system, charged for a thorough inspection and made damn sure to point out any issues to the landlord.

It is possible that he discovered it was split and took it outside to fake breaking it whilst cleaning. I suppose we'll never know how the flood occurred.

Either way, the system should have been checked for ANY issues during the install and pump over should not have been possible.

If I were in the service guy's shoes, I would have been reluctant to continue servicing for a regular customer who had gone elsewhere for an install and, had I chosen to continue with servicing the new boiler, I would have gone over the whole system, charged for a thorough inspection and made damn sure to point out any issues to the landlord.

One does not need to go to those lengths to access slippage of professionalism. Carrying out manual prescribed service often is sufficient eg inlet gas pressure, eyeballing pipe runs and condensate installation, controls fitted, flue etc all will indicate if instal is hamfisted. Spending excessive time means you as the service guy will have difficulty getting paid for extra checks

One does not need to go to those lengths to access slippage of professionalism. Carrying out manual prescribed service often is sufficient eg inlet gas pressure, eyeballing pipe runs and condensate installation, controls fitted, flue etc all will indicate if instal is hamfisted. Spending excessive time means you as the service guy will have difficulty getting paid for extra checks

I'm referring to this particular situation.
My customers don't just use me as service guy. If one of them went elsewhere for a boiler install, and it was down to cost, they'd no longer be one of my customers... Especially landlords.

I'm referring to this particular situation.
My customers don't just use me as service guy. If one of them went elsewhere for a boiler install, and it was down to cost, they'd no longer be one of my customers... Especially landlords.
Same here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back