Help with small leak from boiler end cap hot water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have used this forum a lot recently but this is my first post as i don't want something small to turn into a bog problem.

Hoping someone can help me identify and rectify what needs doing, i have just moved into a new house and the boiler seems fairly new its a combi boiler and worcester bosch,

i noticed a small leak from a pipe i have attached the images and circled the pipe.

this pipe gets hot when the hot water runs and the end cap moved up and down the pipe, i tried to tighten but it just spun freely i can push it in and it just pops back out im guessing its not supposed to do that.

how would i tighten it or stop the small leak, if i have to fit a new cap do i have to drain the system, i'm happy to cover it in flux and heat it with it in situ if that's a solution, I'm just concerned its going to be a major problem at some point.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20190919_165414.jpg
    20190919_165414.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 342
  • 20190919_165403.jpg
    20190919_165403.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 20190919_165439.jpg
    20190919_165439.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 351
Sponsored Links
I have tried this and it just spins unless I'm doing some thing wrong.

I'm scared of it popping off and flooding.

Do I have to turn both?

I have tried this and it just spins unless I'm doing some thing wrong.

I'm scared of it popping off and flooding.

Do I have to turn both?

Its a standard compression cap.
Hold the front cap still, with a spanner and use another spanner/wrench, to turn the backnut anticlockwise WHILST LOOKING AT IT FROM THE FRONT.

Think of it as holding a bottle screw cap still, whilst turning the bottle to tighten.

It might be that there's no olive :eek: or the olive has been pinched too far towards the end of the pipe.

It could go pear shaped on you so maybe drain down and remake the fitting.

I'd have a go at tapping it backwards and tightening, but then I'd be prepared for "eventualities" ;)

Sponsored Links
Its a standard compression cap.
Hold the front cap still, with a spanner and use another spanner/wrench, to turn the backnut anticlockwise WHILST LOOKING AT IT FROM THE FRONT.

Think of it as holding a bottle screw cap still, whilst turning the bottle to tighten.

It might be that there's no olive :eek: or the olive has been pinched too far towards the end of the pipe.

It could go pear shaped on you so maybe drain down and remake the fitting.

I'd have a go at tapping it backwards and tightening, but then I'd be prepared for "eventualities" ;)

Thanks for that I will try this over the weekend, as you suspected I now have a nother question.

Can I isolate that pipe via the boiler green Star24i juniour mk iv or will I need to drain the whole system?

Thanks again.

Did this over the weekend and its all sorted thanks everyone for the help and advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back