How can someone tell how old a boiler is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does a boiler have a checkable serial number or other such reference to say how old it is?

If the same boiler has been manufactured for several years with no model changes, then how easy is it determine age?

Does the manufacturer supply date information to third parties?

Sponsored Links
can often be taken from serial no. not always. Sometimes you will find stickers on components or on the chasis indicating it was bench tested on a certain date. you can ask sometimes give the serial no. to the manf who can indicate when it left their factory. Done this a few times with AGAs.

Some do some don`t
Often little changes can give you a guesstimate of a couple of year period.
Also if controls are fitted at same time there is date stamps on these.

Also serial numbers that give age dont forget this is a build date not a fit date. Plumbfix currently selling boilers up to 2 years old

Your best bet is to give the boiler manufacturer the GC No which is always found on the boiler data badge.

Won't tell you the exact date of manufacturer but they will be able to give you and idea of age.

Starts with GC-41-@@-@@

WB boilers have a 17 to 20 digit serial number which Bletchlely Park would have found almost imossible to find & decipher :LOL: but apparantly the date the boiler was built is in there somewhere.

Sponsored Links
how does the GC number tell the age Tony??

the two prefix numbers denote the type of appliance (41 Ffor conventionals 47 for combis etc) think someone posted a list on the forum some time ago.

and the other numbers denote the maker and model

no age indications that I know of

would be handy though :)

Any particular reason you want to know the age?
Age does not mean a lot.
I know boilers of 20 years and more that are still working fine albeit wasting loads of energy.
I have also ripped out boiler of under 5 years because it was not economical to repair them.

Almost all gas valves have the manufacture date in an easily readable form!

Tony

Hypothetically, if a boiler under a certain age would be covered by insurance, but over a certain age would not be, then how would the age be determined ;)

Hypothetically, if a boiler under a certain age would be covered by insurance, but over a certain age would not be, then how would the age be determined ;)
Usually insurance companies rely on the honesty of the consumer if they know the age of the appliance. Secondly they will use their own records of other models of the same type to gain an approximate age.
Generally they won't worry too much unless its going to cost them money to fix it ;) Then they might do some investigating

ideal and vaillant both have datable serial numbers

grundfos pumps have dates

as said a lot of gas valves are date marked and many fans are also (but they are unreliable as often replacements)

if you can't find a GC no. trust me its prehistoric!! oldest unit i know of is a dru warm air unit still working perfectly ( circa 1950 so i'm led to believe)

how does the GC number tell the age Tony??

the two prefix numbers denote the type of appliance (41 Ffor conventionals 47 for combis etc) think someone posted a list on the forum some time ago.

and the other numbers denote the maker and model

no age indications that I know of

would be handy though :)

Doesn't tell the age exactly I think but the manufactuer can narrow the age down by model which the GC number refers to.

EG,Ideal Mexico 40 rs will have a specific GC number and a Mexico super 2 40rs will have it's own gc number so manufacturers know when a certain model was produced and when is was superseded by the next model in the range

That make sense? :LOL:

Well, insurance cover is not determined by age, so it really is completely irrelevant.
There is only one thing that is determined by age, and that is warrantee.
So why do you want to know the age?

Loads of companies out there will not take them on if a certain age some as low as 7 years old.

Woody, you wouldn't be working for the council by any chance would you?
Your line of asking completely pointless questions about the possible results of something that will never happen is exactly their kind of thing.

And if you don't mind me asking, how on earth can you work as a building surveyor if you don't understand the very basics about the relation between 1-dimensional, 2-dimensional, and 3-dimensional proportions?
What do you survey about buildings, the colour?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back