How Much Do You Drink A Week ..???

Nutter! :LOL:

We did have an old wooden clinker-built gig that was virtually uncapsizable on the benign waters of the Thames, but I never tried it.

Do you have sliding seats on those boats? And is my counting correct in that there are six rowers in each?

Not sure my boat would have been so suitable in those waters...

boats1.jpg

(not mine, got it from the Janousek Racing website)

Sponsored Links
Richard where in Cornwall are you? I used to watch the gig racing out of Newquay some years ago.

AdamW said:
Nutter! :LOL:

We did have an old wooden clinker-built gig that was virtually uncapsizable on the benign waters of the Thames, but I never tried it.

Do you have sliding seats on those boats? And is my counting correct in that there are six rowers in each?

Not sure my boat would have been so suitable in those waters...

boats1.jpg

(not mine, got it from the Janousek Racing website)

Its a cornish racing pilot Gig, six oars and a cox, 32ft long these boats are built on the same lines as they where 200 yrs ago and would be rowed to france and back regularly once used thoughout cornwall and the scilly Isles for everything from general carrying to piloting the old tall ships into the channel approach's, wrecking and smuggling but now just used for racing, the world gig racing championships are held every year on the Scilly isles with over 100 boats competeing, this is serous hardcore sport with much damage inflicted on the rowers as petewood will tell you, no sliding seats your bum bleeds after a race and getting out of bed in the morning can be painful as your wounds stick to the bedsheets.

gigs2.jpg
:D

Sponsored Links
I'll take the risk of derailing my sliding seat over the certainty of a bleeding bottom anyday!

Although getting fingers trapped does pinch somewhat (and it does happen: before and after races in the boat one tends to fidget and slide back and forth on the seat with hands in the wrong places!)

We had injuries too! Racing boats such as these have very little tolerance for mistakes or choppy water. Catching a crab can capsize a single scull in a second (caught me out once!), however in bigger crew boats the effect is somewhat more catastrophic, often resulting in a broken nose for the guy at that oar. I was rowing up at Nottingham and a guy in one of the other teams was actually ejected from his eight, by his oar! :eek:

Also there are the inevitable bruised egos that occur when men in tight lycra are in the presence of freezing-cold water... :LOL:

Wow - from 100 units in a week to 100 boats in the Scilly Isles...

I believe it was ban-all-sheds who said a while ago, keeping people "on-topic" here is like trying to herd cats! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ninebob said:
Wow - from 100 units in a week to 100 boats in the Scilly Isles...

And not a sailor to be found :p

I believe it was ban-all-sheds who said a while ago, keeping people "on-topic" here is like trying to herd cats! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Actually, I think you will find that it is like clowdering cats (the collective noun for cats is "clowder") ;)

AdamW said:
Actually, I think you will find that it is like clowdering cats (the collective noun for cats is "clowder") ;)
Just googled that out of interest because I didn't know it before, and the first three answers are all different.......

ScreenHunter_021.jpg

So which is it? (and now we're really off-topic!) :p

Well, according to the OED, you can have a clowder, a clutter, a cluster or a glaring of cats. I like the last, very descriptive. You can also have a "destruction" of wild cats. :LOL:

And of course, as Home Simpson once pointed out, you can have a murder of crows! :eek:

While out walking last week we saw 4 or 5 hares. My wife wondered what the collective noun would be; the word 'headful' came immediately to mind.

Well for the Pious an holier-than-thou brigade
I aint Dead just yet ..lol

I have had my usual 6 pints before at dinner in my local ...(then 7/8 tonight,at the club,...cabaret,tote,snooker, )
an then strolled home to my good lady wife an consumed a lovely slice of Home baked Steak an ale pie , carrots ,broccali ,garden peas an gravy ,lovey ......washed down with two cans of Stella(wife beater !)*GGG* an a choc ice sat in my back garden ..as "her indoors" weeds the beds ..

For the upset few.. I dont drive the day after, I got an apprentice an like they say "Why keep a dog an bark yourself " the youth picks me up at 7.30 every week day morn in the work van ... he isnt a bad lad , an is a tidy lad on jobs ,without needing to be told ,which if anyone knows is a "welcome break",lol

Im not out tonight an will be online with 12 cans of stella (£10!)

As for my Diabetes.. My consultant said Im allowed four cans a day ,so the days I dont drink they are transferred to another session ,lol

Regarding the replies most were NOT in the style I asked ...
it was how much do YOU DRINK..

I enjoyed the reply about BMI/weight an unit amounts ,Ive seen some guys built like a brick crap house throwing down whiskies an vodkas all day an look like they have just walked in the boozer , an the worst is women (sorry ladies ...... :( )
who hammer a few pints then get all Horrible ..WHY?!?!?lol

petewood said:
While out walking last week we saw 4 or 5 hares. My wife wondered what the collective noun would be; the word 'headful' came immediately to mind.

Looking in fishmongers .. Could I have spotted a dose of crabs?
:D :D

Moz said:
Well for the Pious an holier-than-thou brigade
I aint Dead just yet ..lol

..WHY?!?!?lol

The damage builds up ... sneaks up on you, big or small ... longer or shorter period ... The old reaper is watching and waiting. Who will be 'LOL' then ?

:cry:

Sponsored Links
Back