How to avoid a bad plumber

I'd suggest this as a pinned thread

1. The plumber asks you what you think the problem is. WARNING SIGN. I have several examples from personal experience, so I will give just one. Boiler not working, plumber turns up, has a rummage round and then asks you what you think the problem is. Maybe you did some research on your boiler and found the fan failed often on your boiler type, so you suggest 'maybe its the fan'. The plumber will suggest changing the fan. Your contract is now (in his eyes) for him to change the fan. He changes the fan, boiler still doesn't work. Big arguments ensue. You just asked him to fix the boiler. This is absolutely typical of plumbers no matter what the task.

2. They turn up and don't do a full site survey. Make sure they put in writing what you are paying for in as much detail as necessary. Don't rely on verbal communication. Most plumbers will reject the job if you insist on anything written. So you are stuck. I haven't found any answer to this apart from doing it yourself.

Sounds like you just need to do a bit more research before employing someone, and maybe consider getting a boiler engineer in to fix your boiler rather than a plumber

I've never heard of plumbers rejecting a job on the basis that a client wants things to be written down. Where are you finding these people? Clearly not local recommendations or good-quality trusted trader rating sites

Sponsored Links
I said:
would have been no load to pop any fuse
Well why did you suggest a 5 amp fuse as a means of testing then?!
No load and no short, fuse does not blow
No Load and a short , fuses does blow

I sugested using a 12 volt lamp in place of the fuse. Lamp lights bright if there is a short but they did not have a suitable means of putting leads from a lamp into the fuse holder.

No load and no short, fuse does not blow
No Load and a short , fuses does blow

I sugested using a 12 volt lamp in place of the fuse. Lamp lights bright if there is a short but they did not have a suitable means of putting leads from a lamp into the fuse holder.

Why would a car be remotely like a boiler??!! Complete drivel as always.

Sponsored Links
Why would a car be remotely like a boiler??!! Complete drivel as always.

Well in fairness, they both have burning stuff inside them and electrical stuff connected to them, they are rarely serviced in accordance with manufacturers guidance, everybody thinks they know what's wrong with them and most faults can be cured by hitting them with a big hammer. :)

Your post #26 suggests using a 5 amp fuse
( a 5 amp would have caused less harm to the cable loom ).
Maybe it is necessary to be explicit in posts.

In the absence of suitable test equipment and therefor having to use fuses to indicate that current was flowing through a very low resistance fault the fuse used shpould have been a 5 amp or lower.

Well, if you're criticising other people, I'd suggest that you stop making vague suggestions and changing/rationalising them in subsequent posts. Nobody in their right mind tests, or suggests, using a fuse as a possible method of testing for a defective circuit.

Well in fairness, they both have burning stuff inside them and electrical stuff connected to them, they are rarely serviced in accordance with manufacturers guidance, everybody thinks they know what's wrong with them and most faults can be cured by hitting them with a big hammer. :)

Well 'newboy' you clearly know feck all about boilers, or cars!!

Sounds like you just need to do a bit more research before employing someone, and maybe consider getting a boiler engineer in to fix your boiler rather than a plumber

I've never heard of plumbers rejecting a job on the basis that a client wants things to be written down. Where are you finding these people? Clearly not local recommendations or good-quality trusted trader rating sites

Is there any good-quality trader rating sites?? The irony is they're polluted by cowboys & chancers!!
It's been the same for 100s of years; if you want a good tradesman you need to wait. They're busy for a reason & unless you're a regular customer, you are well down the pecking order!!

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Well 'newboy' you clearly know feck all about boilers, or cars!!

The list of things that I know feck all about isn't limited to boilers and cars. You can also add wife (well women in general to be fair), teenagers, Facebook and other social media to name but a few.

FFS @bernardgreen, I'm so sorry but when I see a post from you now, I have to ignore it... it's like listening to my nan fart - and they've both been dead for 8 years!!!

IMG_6625.JPG
Customers like you are why i've got this sign on my van

The last time I was in Hertford I got a FGA & his stash panties from the glove box!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back