How to avoid a bad plumber

Bernard, that is why we have manufacturers technical helpdesk available to us, who themselves fail to understand their own appliance sometimes.
It is the same in the electronics industry, far too often the front line technical help desk agents are no more trained up than the average field engineer. They certainly have less hands on experience unless they have come in from the field. Those that have had extensive hands on experience tends to be place in the second line.

Just because an expert is available on the makers help desk number, does not mean he/ she knows what is going on or have understating of appliance function or sequence if operation
Are these experts really experts or are they just buffers with a scripted screen to read out to the caller. It may be they only have a copy of the fault finding flow chart on their screen. The real experts, the designers and others who fully understand the equipment are not those who answer the help desk phones.

the ones i've ever spoken to want your gas safe number before they'll speak to you
That is probably part of the script on the agent's screen when (s)he answers the call. With calls being recorded the agent has to follow the script if thery want to keep their job. Knowing the name of a real expert one level above the help desk can be useful.

Sponsored Links
I think that you misunderstand the function of the GasSafe register
It is to ensure that people who trade as a gas fitter have the necessary skills to carry out gas work safely.
It has little to do with the card holders ability to actual diagnose and repair equipment. It does mean the card holder is aware of the dangers when working on gas equipment so no matter how incompetent they may be at repairing the equipment they will at least leave it in a safe ( but maybe non working ) state

And if the card holders here do not like that then take it up with the insurance companies and other organisations who pick up the pieces and costs and those who have to cope with the hardships these few cowboys with a card create for their customers. .

Will you give it a rest BG with your constant digging at the Gas Safe amongst us! You are referring to a minority who would not bother coming to a forum such as this and do not give a damn what you think of them... your comments will not change a thing but will continue to irritate the decent RGI's who come here to help and advise where they can and are allowed to!

There are Rogues in every gallery :sick:

Sponsored Links
A minority of the RGIs on this forum are not here to help.
so your saying " the minority " has never helped anyone ????? and maybe your mate who has liked you c128 ;) thinks the same :rolleyes: ,
care to answer that C128 ???, come on don't hide :) , you didn't seem to have a problem when you needed help;) .

bernardgreen maybe your not satisfied with the answers you get , if not , then train to be one . your commenting on gas engineers is wearing thin but have you ever considered why these gas engineers don't give the answers your ( or c128 ) after ( i expect you do thou;) ). a little information is bl@@dy dangerous on this forum sometimes;)

a little information is bl@@dy dangerous on this forum sometimes;)

If the "experts" took the time to explain in detail why DIY activity can create dangerous conditions then possibly fewer people would attempt DIY gas work.

As an example. Taking the case off a boiler and putting it back on again. ""You must not do that"" or ""If you disturb the air tight seal in the case then you may leave a gap through which toxic gases could escape into the room"".

To those in the know it is obvious that a case with a seal fitted around the cover needs special attention to the seal when being replaced so pass on that obvious knowedge to those for whom it is not obvious.

The way some first time posters are treated here will send then away without having been made aware of the risks and dangers they are likely to create if they attempt the work they are planning to do.

bernardgreen maybe your not satisfied with the answers you get
Some of them are very informative about the person(s) who write them. It is likely that first time posters will dismiss any advice given here when they read the personality driven and often abusive posts that some people post.

To those in the know it is obvious that a case with a seal fitted around the cover needs special attention to the seal when being replaced so pass on that obvious knowedge to those for whom it is not obvious.
your missing the point , opening the boiler several tests needs to be performed and as you well know , its forum rules because its gas works ;) .
Taking the case off a boiler and putting it back on again. ""You must not do that"
you shouldn't plain and simple .:)

The way some first time posters are treated here will send then away without having been made aware of the risks and dangers they are likely to create if they attempt the work they are planning to do.

their on here for advice and they have been given that by gas engineers , if they want to be an idiot then they are to blame if they, their family or neighbours dies :rolleyes:(n) just think of the implications that causes just from a little bit of information , just think about it and stop your tunnel vision

your missing the point , opening the boiler several tests needs to be performed and as you well know , its forum rules because its gas works ;)

No you have missed the point. The average person does NOT realise that opening the case will require several tests to be made after the case is put back together. They cannot realise the dangers because they do not have the basic knowledge which relates to how those dangers are created.

My point is that instead of being curt ( and sometimes rude ) to people asking about gas DIY experts should explain how the hidden dangers are created.

A polite explanation of the dangers would deter most of them from attempting the work. Some are not idiots, but people who need repair work but do not have the money to pay for it.

Just my view of course - I often read here, seldom post, so it's not really a "home" I care much about. However, I read/participate in quite a few forums where I have an interest and, in comparison, this is by far one of the most hostile, and that doesn't benefit its usefulness in my view.
Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/diy-is-not-an-electrician-no-sir-not-at-all.293959/#ixzz4TIHvj9Gy

well your still here aren't you , so you must find the info that you like from the plumbers and gas engineers here to still be here ,so can't be that bad then;) , actions speak louder than words ;) I'm sorry if your the sensitive type:)

This is way more complex than people think.
skotl

skotl was referring to swapping out a two gang socket.:D
skotl was paying to much attention to bas and his followers.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back