Installing wireless roomstat

Sponsored Links
-----------------------------------THREAD CLOSED-------------------------------

Ive installed a wireless roomstat before... should I go and flagellate myself?

Sponsored Links
-----------------------------------THREAD CLOSED-------------------------------

You finally given up arguing with a dozen or so professionals that obviously know their trade better than you do then?

Nighty night darling :LOL:

Since has Electrical Installations been their (gas installers) trade?

Night Night to you hope you learn something soon.

hhhmmm what shall I learn this evening...

Not much...

But did make a couple of nice Stencils for Visio - A nice Honeywell Cylinder Stat and a T360B (Google it :p ).

Done a nice diagram that even my underling will be able to follow ;).

When part p came most sparks laughed at it . As a gas man i found it incredible that after 4 days on a part p course i could legally rewire and test a house. I laughed at it too . Cheers easy .

Illegal or not Part P is a massive money spinner .

No there cant they have what is called "limited scope"

to rewire an test a house requires at the very least 2391 testing and inspection cert, and 17th edition and this is called fullscope and must have at least 2 jobs an inspector can assess before the awarding body will issue any paperwork or certificates for the candidate should he be successful.

your wrong . i have and i can . under limited scope too .

Which schem are you with? Nic, elecsa, etc?

heated debate i know . but if i fit and electric shower and discover the consumer unit is dangerous or the existing wiring then i need to make good prior to my works . this means i can rewire change cu . fit bonding etc etc . what i can't do is go and complete a rewire where i have no plumbing works involved .

When part p came most sparks laughed at it . As a gas man i found it incredible that after 4 days on a part p course i could legally rewire and test a house. I laughed at it too . Cheers easy .

Illegal or not Part P is a massive money spinner .

No there cant they have what is called "limited scope"

to rewire an test a house requires at the very least 2391 testing and inspection cert, and 17th edition and this is called fullscope and must have at least 2 jobs an inspector can assess before the awarding body will issue any paperwork or certificates for the candidate should he be successful.

your wrong . i have and i can . under limited scope too .

Which schem are you with? Nic, elecsa, etc?

heated debate i know . but if i fit and electric shower and discover the consumer unit is dangerous or the existing wiring then i need to make good prior to my works . this means i can rewire change cu . fit bonding etc etc . what i can't do is go and complete a rewire where i have no plumbing works involved .

Yes, and a CU change and a rewire will be covered bt a EIC.

Bonding etc, always has to be checked prior to any electrical work commencing.

to rewire an test a house requires at the very least 2391 testing and inspection cert, and 17th edition

above all you firstly need experience, aptitude and a knowlege of current standards
A polite question Vic,
are you a time served electrician or have you just sat your 17th and testing and inspection courses?

Matt

As stated by others, I have lost count of the number of 'fully qualified' electricians who have an attack of the vapours when faced with anything more complicated than a two way light switch. Central heating wiring is not rocket science but seems to be beyond the comrehension of your average sparks which is why us lowly gasmen have to do it. :rolleyes: I also did the Part P money spinner and it was a complete waste of time, didn't teach me anything I did not already know.

Went to a 'faulty' boiler yesterday. 3 Amp fuses all over the floor - looked like a clay pigeon shoot.

Are you the installer?

No I'm the electrician, nothing wrong with the control wiring, must be the pcb!

Got my multimeter out and disconected all wiring except L N & E to boiler. Restored power - and guess what - the MCB and RCD held!

At this point the sparks, says "it's definitely the boiler, there's f all wrong with my wiring, been doing these for years, blah blah, blah :rolleyes:

Testing the disconnected control wiring found 70 V AC on his earth from wiring centre ?????? Took cover off the same, spaghetti does not fully cover it!

Normally I'd rewire it, (breaking the law apparently) but decided to leave the experienced expert to sort it.

:D :D :D

The big Atag install in my Albums went south due to the sparks.

Customer moaning the basement flat was freezing and the top floor was hitting the high 20's.

Sparks had wired the wrong stats to the wrong valves - despite me leaving a diagram.

And despite the valves having bright yellow stickers.

Nice chap though he was - I wasn't going to let him loose on a 16K install again.

dan Its very brave of you to let an electrician near any install let alone a mildly complicated one. When I was doing warranty calls I used to get at least 2 or 3 a week to wiring faults by electricians. Had to trace one fault back to the consumer unit for the poor lamb. It was on site as well, so he was very popular after that.
Its a fact, 99% of electricians can't wire anything more than live, neutral and earth. Even that has to be colour coded, bless em. Start throwing different coloured wires in they go all dizzy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back