Intergas Eco RF vs HRE

Am I right in the diagrams that the last leg is voltage and current chopped up?

That's what I call the protocol. If the bare instructions or protocol or series of bits were sent over rf then any transmitter would work with any receiver.

If the instructions are encoded then the contents are 'scrambled' so no use to a different brand receiver and not the actual protocol.

Eg Vaillant's use a different protocol but passed through a processor they become OpenTherm. An encoded signal would not be the protocol until translated.

Anyway you want a wireless ot end result there are several (I've forgotten your original question)

Sponsored Links
Your picture was using amplitude.
RF data transmission is manipulating radio waves.

AM waves (Amplitude Modulation):
Modulation is generally a radio wave having a specific constant frequency - the hop is constant. The amplitude of the signal rises or falls representing '0' or '1' - the bits. Low amplitude '0', high amplitude '1'. The sender raises and lowers the amplitude. The receiver reads the amplitude and says low '0', high '1'.

RF%20image%205.jpg

FM waves (Frequency Modulation):
Bits can also be transmitted via Frequency Modulation. FM. This is when the amplitude is constant, but the frequency (the hop) modulates. Below: the amplitude is the constant, but the frequency keeps moving in and out like a concertina. Again, the differences in the frequency can represent '0' or '1'.

RF%20image%206.jpg

It is just by manipulating a radio waves '0' or '1' can be represented. It is what the manufacturer wants to use. Both AM and FM have their advantages. Take your choice. Two makers may be using FM, but different frequency modulation, so their equipment will not talk to another maker. But they all transmit a representation of bits that can be taken at the receiver end as data. The more powerful the transmitter the longer the RF waves will travel.

All OpenTherm RF needs is about 30 foot range around a house and enough power to get through about three walls.

Last edited:
Vaillant had too much invested in their own protocol, so they either take the equiv data from their own protocol and directly transfer to an OpenThern protocol. Or they put an OpenTherm protocol into the data section of one of their own protocols. Then they strip out their own protocol leaving the data (the OpenTherm protocol) and just process its layers as per normal.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your picture was using amplitude.
RF data transmission is manipulating radio waves.

Yes, that's what I understood; manipulating radio is different to manipulating electricity and that's what the OT is designed to communicate through so after encoding the signal you have no current, no voltage but an encoded radio wave. It's my preference to call that not OpenTherm at that point.

To use your earlier analogy, the message, a letter, is written down in English, it is shouted across the room in Dutch by a orator, heard and translated and transcribed back to English at the receiver and read by the recipient. The sound waves crossing the room are in Dutch not English although the message is accurate.

Just my way of looking at it.

There's those that teach and those that do.

and a few who can't do either.

s written down in English, it is shouted across the room in Dutch by a orator,

Telegram from a hunting lodge in India to a house in Berkshire

Written on paper. carried on horse back to the railway telegraph operator. Morse code by railway telegraph to the railway station in a city, back onto paper for the short journey to the Post Office International Telegraphic Office in that city. Morse Code on Short Wave Radio to the UK. 5 bit Baudot code via Telex from the GPO receiving station to the Berkshire Telegraph office. Then by speech on the telephone to the village telephone operator. Written onto a Telegram Form and carried by a boy on a bike to the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back