Knocking down outdoor toilet

L

Lyndaa

Hi guys, I really want to knock down my outdoor toilet. It basically falling apart anyway. The toilet has been taken out and capped off. I own the house. Forgive me for being silly but can I just start knocking it down carefully with a sledgehammer?

Sponsored Links
Demolition is as skilled a trade as any other trade in the building trades - dont just start swinging a hammer.
Before anything else why not post a photo of the WC compartment from the outside?
What do you propose to do with the space after demolition?

Tbh, I just wanted more space in the yard to have it done nicely. Also I think it might be creating damp on the adjoining wall inside the house.

Attachments

• 20160902_175123[256609].jpg
    20160902_175123[256609].jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 808
  • 20160902_175108[256610].jpg
    20160902_175108[256610].jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 802
Sponsored Links
As far as I know its a boundary wall, the lad next door has built an extension on his side so I don't think he would care if I asked him

Thanks for the photos.
Remove the door .
Using steps, next you would best remove the roof - it will possibly lift off. Afterwards bag the corrugated material for disposal at a council recyling place.
Presuming the "tree" is not growing through the kitchen wall then pull & saw it down.
Now gently knock off the top bricks working round and down - course by course.
Tap and loosen any bricks that half go into any of the surrounding brickwork - then pull them out. You can make good later.
The boundary wall abutment to the kitchen might be causing penetrating damp - can you post photos of the interior damp?
You might want to consider going halves with your neighbour to rebuild a new party/boundary wall?
All the brickwork needs cleaning and pointing.
Any sealed off WC drain requires close inspection for soundness - where the drain joins the main drain at a manhole the outlet should also be firmly blocked off.

What is happening on the upper left where roofing felt(?) can be seen?

I really appreciate your instructions! Thank you so much where the roof is on the upper left is the outside of the dining room. Later I wanted to convert it to French door when I have a little bit more money! I really appreciate your instructions! Thank you so much

If the bricks match the house, stack them in the garden as they may be useful later for any changes

Protect the soil pipe and don't let rubble fall down it and block the drain.

When you have removed the WC (lift, don't smash) measure the socket and get a plastic cap from a builder's shed.

You may find the drain very useful in future, e.g. if you want to extend the kitchen or have a laundry room or a downstairs WC.

JohnD,
1. The OP has already said that the drain inlet has been: "capped off".
2. You recommend saving what could become a possible rat's nest?

BCO's in my experience always insisted on filling the abandoned outside WC drain with a semi-dry mix or digging the drain out to the man-hole.
One inspector claimed that mandatory digging-out was somewhere in the Regs.

The roofing material may well be bonded asbestos. I would advise you take suitable precautions when removing it, and certainly do not break it unless completely unavoidable! Check with the local Council for disposal, some may offer a free service for small amounts, otherwise please ensure you dispose of it via a licenced contractor, to avoid it being flytipped!

The roof is corrugated cement containing asbestos !!! I would be careful before taking a sledge hammer to it.

I wouldn't take a sledgehammer to it, end of! Breaking that risks releasing fibres into the air, and you certainly don't want those going down into your lungs! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back