New Party?

Sponsored Links
Very interesting.

First past the post has meant UK politics has been restricted to 2 main parties and nobody else gets a look in, on the basis that a vote for anybody else is a wasted vote.

This country has seen many decades of 2 to 3 terms of 1 party then 2 or 3 terms of the other party. Its time there were some real alternatives.

Well as long as they have not got an anti-UK, IRA and Russian supporting leader, a racist incompetent mathematically-challenged mouthpiece, and poxy spending plans then they may get a look in.

Well as long as they have not got an anti-UK, IRA and Russian supporting leader, a racist incompetent mathematically-challenged mouthpiece, and poxy spending plans then they may get a look in.

So much hate.

Sponsored Links
For a start all British parties should be publically funded to prevent private interests corrupting the democratic process.
British politicians should be accountable only to the British tax payer who pays their wages and not shadowy foreign interests.
Off course that is probably to much to expect.
A new party with new ideas could go some way to achieving these ideals.

What sort of moron could possibly want that?

Maybe.

It can work well, although I know Italy is often cited as a reason against.

The problem is that a government in power has no incentive for changing 1st past the post.

Maybe.

It can work well, although I know Italy is often cited as a reason against.

The problem is that a government in power has no incentive for changing 1st past the post.
Germany does quite well though.

And funnily enough the 'undemocratic' (according to leavers) EU requires its elections to conform to PR principles!

But I agree with "a government in power has no incentive for changing 1st past the post"

Which is why there needs to be an alternative in order to achieve it.

Which will sadly never happen in the UK because a large proportion of our electorate still think that we live in a democracy - because they are told to believe that!

Wasn't there recently a 'referendum' when change was rejected.
It was an establishment fudge - an 'Alternative PR' option 'piggy backed' onto local elections!

What is interesting is that many of the areas who voted remain in the Brexit referendum also voted for that (admittedly flawed) PR...

Last edited:
I am vehemently against Proportional Representation. It can interfere with the democratic process. However, I would accept Preferential Representation, where you mark a number against one or more candidates names, 1 for your first choice, 2 for your second, etc. If no candidate has a clear majority (i.e. over 50% of the first-preference votes) at the end of the first count, then the candidate with the fewest first-preference votes drops out, and his ballot papers are redistributed on their second preferences and so on until one candidate has a clear majority.

Sponsored Links
Back