NICEIC & SELECT

There is ministerial guidance to back up the regulation (which is an amendment to the existing housing act), so the guidance can be changed - and it already has been changed to expand the organisations that can carry out the EICRs - NAPIT has been added.
Are you perhaps saying that this 'Ministerial Guidance' is the equivalent of what would be called a "Statutory Instrument" in E&W, and hence effectively does have Statutory status (even though it does not require approval by Parliament)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It's very rare indeed to find someone who is a master of more than one trade....

Sponsored Links
I have two trades :D
Electrical and Instrument Technician (not musical instruments)

Thanks for replies all. I think on balance, I'm probably best to opt for someone who's registered, even though I agree it doesn't necessarily guarantee they're the best of the best. I've found out in terms of EICR's Scottish Government guidance suggests it is best practice to get a NICEIC/SELECT member to complete these. I appreciate this is outwith a re-wire itself, however as I say on balance probably makes sense to stick with a company registered to one of these schemes.

I've found out in terms of EICR's Scottish Government guidance suggests it is best practice to get a NICEIC/SELECT member to complete these.
That's not guidance nor best practice; it's just their rule.[/QUOTE]

The same as down here Councils demand a NICEIC registered contractor; ignoring all the other schemes.

You may very well think of a reason for this but I couldn't possibly comment.

You may very well think of a reason for this but I couldn't possibly comment.
If they are talking about an NICEIC Approved Contractor then it might be because what they are being assessed against is completely different to the scope of a "Domestic Installer" as you have in other schemes there. That's why NICEIC Approved Contractors and ECA (SELECT in Scotland) members (and IET members) are stipulated.

If.

That could be the case but it does not ensure the most qualified nor competent person - therefore ...

Ah - it's guidance on the statutory;

not mandatory guidance unless that is guidance on the mandatory.

I didn't look, but could some of the hits be talking about a statutory requirement for certain organisations to offer guidance on certain things?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back