Old Conservatives don't understand

And how would it actually gain 200k a paper gain is worthless if you can never release it
Because if a council own outright a house worth £300k, the cost to rent it out is far less than if the council have to pay a private landlord rent via housing benefit which is linked to current market rates which are tied to house values.

The council have to pay maintenance whether they own the house or not

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
And how would it actually gain 200k a paper gain is worthless if you can never release it
If it is sold its value counts.

I've got nothing wrong with them being sold IF they are replaced.

Market value then means a lot. Again, it's basic stuff

let him answer it himself its clear the 3 stooges in here have no clue of were council house repairs are funded from
It's clear that you and your mates have boxed yourselves in with false arguments

Now, back to the real subject.

Why should councils (our money)be forced to sell off houses, cheap. But private landlords shouldn't have to ?

False argument

I pay lots over money to be in business. I earn more than it costs me. It works for me.

Renting a house out is the same, but if it's costing you more than you are charging then give it up, you've got it wrong. At the same time your asset value is increasing at no extra cost to yourself.

Nobody claimed the council is paying more rent on 1 than the other.

But they are paying somebody else to house people in a house they used to own but had to sell off cheaply. This SHOULD bother you, as a taxpayer.

It is cheaper to own, rent and maintain a house than to pay somebody else to do the same isn't it. If not you wouldn't rent out a property, there wouldn't be any money in it, would there.

I don't mind anybody making money out of any business model. Just don't try and tell me you do it at a cost to yourself or out of the goodness of your heart.

Now explain why a council should be forced to sell a house but not replace it, but you as a private landlord don't have to.
All may or may not be valid statements. Howver none of them are relevant to what I posted. Are you a politician ?
If the council instead paid out housing benefit to a tenant in a housing association property, the cost of that rent would be linked to market rent, and that market rent is linked directly to house values.
Factually wrong on two counts.

Firstly, market rents are not linked, other than indirectly, to property values. Market rents are linked to the local market for rental properties - basic supply and demand, if supply goes up relative to demand then rents fall, and vice versa. What's been driving rents up is that generally demand has been rising while supply has been falling - but I read just recently that rents are falling in London as supply has suddenly gone up.

Secondly, if you knew anything about how benefits and rent work then you'd know that housing benefit, while normally set at 30th percentile of local market, are frozen and have been for several years. That's actual rate, not relative - so for several years housing benefit has fallen in real terms.
And in general, it is paid to the claimant who then uses it towards their rent - with an element of their circumstances (e.g. if they have reasonable earnings) deciding how much they can top up to get a "better" (whatever they measure that by) home.
Getting direct payment can be difficult and has a number of risks.

All may or may not be valid statements. Howver none of them are relevant to what I posted. Are you a politician ?

Factually wrong on two counts.

Firstly, market rents are not linked, other than indirectly, to property values. Market rents are linked to the local market for rental properties - basic supply and demand, if supply goes up relative to demand then rents fall, and vice versa. What's been driving rents up is that generally demand has been rising while supply has been falling - but I read just recently that rents are falling in London as supply has suddenly gone up.

Secondly, if you knew anything about how benefits and rent work then you'd know that housing benefit, while normally set at 30th percentile of local market, are frozen and have been for several years. That's actual rate, not relative - so for several years housing benefit has fallen in real terms.
And in general, it is paid to the claimant who then uses it towards their rent - with an element of their circumstances (e.g. if they have reasonable earnings) deciding how much they can top up to get a "better" (whatever they measure that by) home.
Getting direct payment can be difficult and has a number of risks.
None of what I put was wrong, and was totally relevant

But back to the real points.

Are you renting out property for less than it is costing you?

Is your asset increasing in value ?

I notice you avoided answering them, so let's try now

oh deary deary me you certainly don have a scooby on what money can be spent and what on . And its certainly not a single pot.
And you have only put two sources of revenue now lets think which one you have missed off
Is that a serious post.

Ever understood council finance?

Sponsored Links
Back