Opinions on switching from gas boiler to electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I rent a 2 bed flat, it has a combi boiler Baxi 24HE, it's the second boiler in the last 15 years, I have been paying around £250 annual fee for the last 10 years for boiler cover.

The flat has 4 rads in 4 rooms, 1 x living room, 2 x bedrooms and 1 x bathroom. It also has 3 taps, 1 x kitchen , 1 x bathroom basin , 1 x bathroom shower

I am thinking of switching to electric. Is it a good idea?

The plan is to have 3 electric rads, 3KW, 3KW & 2KW in 3 rooms plugged to wall sockets. And one bathroom fan heater 1KW/2KW.

How do I heat water to the 3 taps? There is no space for cylinder.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's easy to say no without explanation. Considering almost all new builds in UK specially flats have no gas supply.

Sponsored Links
The plan is to have 3 electric rads, 3KW, 3KW & 2KW in 3 rooms plugged to wall sockets. And one bathroom fan heater 1KW/2KW.
10kW of space heating for a 2 bed flat seems grossly oversized.
What is the heat loss of the property?

How do I heat water to the 3 taps?
For small quantities of hot water, undersink heater(s) would be an option, such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/ariston-undersink-water-heater-2kw-15ltr/9720g
various sizes available, size depends on how much hot water is required and how often.
Those are not suitable for a shower.

There is no space for cylinder.
Almost certainly is. If gas is going away, so is the gas boiler, so there is a fair amount of extra space already.
Hot water cylinders are available in many sizes, they are not all 200 litre floor standing affairs.
Doesn't even have to be a cylinder containing water, other options such as https://sunamp.com/en-gb/products/thermino-e/ are available.

It's easy to say no without explanation
[EDIT: Electricity is 3 or 4 times the cost. You knew what I meant]

Gas is 3 or 4 times the cost per kW.
A new gas boiler is 90% efficient. Even if it was 50%, you'd still get twice as much heat per £ spent.
Also convenience. Combi boiler produces lots of hot water quickly.

Last edited:
All the electric heaters you suggest in sockets will overload your landlords electrics.

A new gas boiler is 90% efficient. Even if it was 50%, you'd still get twice as much heat per £ spent.
Gas is 3 or 4 times the cost of what exactly ??
I understood the OP owned the flat and rented it out , if that's so it's the tenant who would be paying the energy bills anyway.

You might want to correct that

The price of energy from electricty is about four times as much as gas per kWh.

I'm confused, if you rent a flat, why do you need to pay for boiler cover? Surely the Landlord is responsible for repairs and servicing?

Watched HUTH the other day and someone was talking about an electric combi boiler???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back