Physics Puzzle

Doitall: An easier way to conduct the experiment would be to use a supermarket trolley next time you go shopping.

Just lift the trolley onto the belt at the checkout and see if you can hold it against the movement of the belt.

Don't worry about the queues building up behind you.

But don't expect the trolley to take off ...

Well said xerves the trolley won't take off, same answer as before the wheels will turn provided I hold the trolley steady, if I push the trolley the wheels will be turning faster than the belt.

Sponsored Links
Because the conveyor is moving in the opposite direction. The plane is travelling at 180 mph wind speed over its wings giving it lift-off velocity. At that point the conveyor is travelling in the opposite direction at 180 mph - thus at lift off - the wheels spin at 360 mph.

The OP doesn't say the conveyor speed matches the speed of the aircraft, it says it matches the speed of the wheels.

Jesus doitall you're a stubborn old mule, answer the question I asked much earlier. If you were stood at the side of a conveyor belt with a toy plane with freely rotating wheels, and if the conveyor could magically match the speed of rotation of the planes wheels. Do you think that you would be able to hold the plane against the conveyor and move it in an opposite direction to that of the conveyor?

If the speed of the wheels match the speed of the conveyor the plane will not move, if you push the plane along the belt then the wheels are going faster than the belt.

Think about it, even take a toy plane into Tesco if you like.

Wrong, because the conveyor speeds up to match the wheels. The plane will still be moved along the belt though.

Let's use an analogy:

You know those travelator things that they have at airports? Those moving walkways? OK, you are wearing roller skates and standing on one.

Both the floor and the handrail are moving at 10mph in a forward direction so your roller skate wheels aren't moving. Now something goes wrong with the handrail and it stops (though the floor keeps moving). So now you are stationary (hanging on to the handrail) and the conveyor (floor) is moving at 10 mph. Your wheels are now moving at 10 mph. Someone now switches the handrail back on but gets it running in the wrong direction. You are now hanging onto the handrail and travelling backwards at 10 mph. The conveyor (floor) is travelling forward at 10 mph. Your wheels are now travelling at 20 mph.

Now substitute the floor for the conveyor and the thrust from the engines for the handrail. You will now reach take off speed with your wheels turning at twice the speed. Gedditt yet? (he won't). :cry:

Try it with the trolley, You're standing on the end of the travelator and the trolley is on the belt, the wheels are turning at the speed of the belt coming towards you, to get the trolley to move forward you have to push it so the wheels are turning faster than the belt.

However many times you argue the point the wheels have to turn faster or there is not forward travel. Geddit yet (he won't) :cry:

Sponsored Links
Of course the trolley won't take off(!)

But the fact that you can hold it stationary against the movement of the belt is all the proof you need that the answer to the original question is that the plane will take off.

You will need to pick a trolley without stuck wheels.

Because the conveyor is moving in the opposite direction. The plane is travelling at 180 mph wind speed over its wings giving it lift-off velocity. At that point the conveyor is travelling in the opposite direction at 180 mph - thus at lift off - the wheels spin at 360 mph.

The OP doesn't say the conveyor speed matches the speed of the aircraft, it says it matches the speed of the wheels.

Bingo blondini :cool: :cool:

Doitall wrote

Call it a conveyor if you like, the wheels were traveling faster then the conveyor.

How much faster ?.

And in any case the weight of the plane was on the ground and not the conveyor which would add drag/friction to the belt,

Any conveyor system has drag/friction to overcome.
The fact is you don't know how much this is in either case. :rolleyes:

Try it with the trolley, You're standing on the end of the travelator and the trolley is on the belt, the wheels are turning at the speed of the belt coming towards you, to get the trolley to move forward you have to push it so the wheels are turning faster than the belt.

However many times you argue the point the wheels have to turn faster or there is not forward travel. Geddit yet (he won't)

Wrong again, you would simply have to hold the trolley while walking in the opposite direction at the side of the belt. The trolley would be moved forward along the belt.

Jesus doitall you're a stubborn old mule, answer the question I asked much earlier. If you were stood at the side of a conveyor belt with a toy plane with freely rotating wheels, and if the conveyor could magically match the speed of rotation of the planes wheels. Do you think that you would be able to hold the plane against the conveyor and move it in an opposite direction to that of the conveyor?

If the speed of the wheels match the speed of the conveyor the plane will not move, if you push the plane along the belt then the wheels are going faster than the belt.

Think about it, even take a toy plane into Tesco if you like.

Wrong, because the conveyor speeds up to match the wheels. The plane will still be moved along the belt though.

All the time the speed of the wheels and the convetor are equal how can the plane move alone the belt. it doesn't matter how fast the wheels are turning, if the belt is going at the same speed.

Diyitall wrote

And this is what has you so confused.
The rpm of the wheels can NEVER match the rpm of the true conveyor.
Two different circumferences. :rolleyes:

Doitall wrote

Call it a conveyor if you like, the wheels were traveling faster then the conveyor.

How much faster ?.

And in any case the weight of the plane was on the ground and not the conveyor which would add drag/friction to the belt,

How much faster is irrelevant, the OP says they will be the same

Diyitall wrote

All the time the speed of the wheels and the convetor are equal

They can never be equal.

how can the plane move alone the belt.

Rocket propelled thrust is one way.
If it was a person standing on the belt then a good boot up the ar@se would be another way. ;)

it doesn't matter how fast the wheels are turning

Correct. The wheel rpm is totally irrelevant.

if the belt is going at the same speed
Incorrect. The belt cannot travel at the same speed as the wheels.

Doitall wrote

How much faster ?.

How much faster is irrelevant, the OP says they will be the same

Its totally relevant.
You have lost sight of what the OP said. :rolleyes:

All the time the speed of the wheels and the convetor are equal how can the plane move alone the belt. it doesn't matter how fast the wheels are turning, if the belt is going at the same speed.

I've got to admit I've no answer to that one. I think I'm beginning to agree with you. :oops: So the only effect the thrust would have would be to increase the speed of the conveyor in the opposite direction? My head is starting to hurt now.

I've got to admit I've no answer to that one. I think I'm beginning to agree with you. :oops: So the only effect the thrust would have would be to increase the speed of the conveyor in the opposite direction? My head is starting to hurt now.

Its easy.
For starters the rpm of the wheels can never match the rpm of the conveyor.
If you consider this to be incorrect then define speed and how it is measured in relation to the movement of the conveyor and the movement of the wheels.

Sponsored Links
Back