Physics Puzzle

except that the question has a defect in it and doesnt make sense so you are wasting your time trying to answer it.

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
A wing is shaped so that the airflow speeds up over its upper surface. This results in a lower static pressure above the wing than below it and so a lifting force is created.

I agree :) :) :) but ---

No air flow, plane go nowhere.

Although this is perfectly true, there WILL be airflow when the planes engines start pushing it forwards. Thats how planes work. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But the plane wont push forward, its on an rolling road, or conveyor

it could be pushed forward in real life, but not in the fantasy world of the impossible question.

Sponsored Links
if they had wheels on the flip side would they be able to take-off upside down?
mmmmm?

Back to the OP..... no it wouldn't take off. If the conveyor can match the thrust speed i.e. between 500 - 600 mph, and with all other things considered ( and the fact that it's a ludicrous poser :D ) then it won't go anywhere........ have a hell of a barbecue though........

it stands still and because it does not actually proceed in its static space neither does the air therefore no lift over the wings
this bloke due to the influence of G&T forgot one vital fact.

The plane should take off because the wheels are free rolling and the rearward force of the conveyor is counteracted by the bearings in the wheels. It doesnt matter how fast the conveyor goes because the plane itself is not in contact with it.

this guy is correct, the forward thrust will overcome the low co-efficient of friction carried through the wheel bearings, the wheels will rotate at the speed of the conveyor + the speed of forward thrust minus the frictional loss due to the bearings and wheels.

the plane will take off if it doesnt run out of conveyor belt :LOL:

The speed of the conveyor has nothing to do with planes ability to take off.
The speed of the wheels is dictated by the speed of the conveyor, the rearward force of the conveyor is disippated by planes wheels which are mounted on bearings

I can't believe that you lot have let old Softy boy lead you by the nose back on to this thread which has been done to death ... And a proven solution ...

SEARCH FOR IT GUYS :LOL:

I have no intention of going through it all again ... The aircraft will take off though ... Of course ;)

MW

The speed of the conveyor has nothing to do with planes ability to take off.
The speed of the wheels is dictated by the speed of the conveyor, the rearward force of the conveyor is disippated by planes wheels which are mounted on bearings

Of course it has.

If the plane is unable to gain any forward movement, e.g. 85 knots then it ain't going up :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back