Pies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is it with these pies that come in a ceramic dish with a puff-pastry top on? That isn't a pie.

Pie pastry should be thick and heavy and made from suet, be claggy and go well with proper gravy. AND SHOULD BE ALL THE WAY ROUND THE FILLING.

Sponsored Links
you should be able to eat a pie and hold it, so yes the covering should go all the way around, but not suet, thats what you make a steak and kidny pud from, shouldnt it be short crust pastry?

did you know a well known burger chains m pies are actually FRIED

Sponsored Links
breezer said:

they make pies now????? :eek: i once heard they deep fry their salads, though how much truth there is in that i dont know . . .

I love a Morrisons pie, from their "pie shop", freshly baked in store yummy . . . even when microwaved to reheat.

One thing that bugs me though . . . how can they store their meat pies at room temp. in store? They are wrapped in paper bags, nothing more! Why doesn't the meat and other fillings go off?

They make nice pies in Australia they serve them in a bowl of gravy and call them "floaters" the pastry has to be good or they'll sink. :LOL:

breezer said:

the apple ones? i thought they heated them up in it packet?

The best pies i every had were Pukka Pies, which had soft pastry and jammed full of meat, not just gravy and mince but big chunks of steak and kidney ( well i hope it was )

In those days mid 1970's you used to go the pub for your dinner which was a pie and a pint for some reason it was always mild.

I havent seen Pukka Pies for donkeys years or in fact mild beer, does anybody remember Pukka pies?? ( nothing to do with that Jamie Oliver bloke )

You can still get Pukka Pies in chip shops, plus they sponser the Championship.

Thermo said:
you should be able to eat a pie and hold it, so yes the covering should go all the way around, but not suet, thats what you make a steak and kidny pud from, shouldnt it be short crust pastry?

You can definitely make pastry from suet (and flour and water and salt). It's just another fat.

Durgo said:
breezer said:

the apple ones? i thought they heated them up in it packet?

nope, they deep fry them first then put them in the packet, why do you think the pies are "sealed" and have "blisters" its because they are fried.

next time you are in their ask

When my Dad went to live and work in Glasgow in the 70s (nice place), he asked for a pie and chips in a chippy, and asked if he wanted the pie warmed.

He said yes, thinking that he didn't want a cold pie, but it came back deep fried in batter.

Richardp said:
They make nice pies in Australia they serve them in a bowl of gravy and call them "floaters" the pastry has to be good or they'll sink. :LOL:

Yes, I read about that, but I read it was floating in baked beans though. The intention was that it was a cheap nutritious meal during a depression.

I love those Fray Bentos pies!

crafty1289 said:
One thing that bugs me though . . . how can they store their meat pies at room temp. in store? They are wrapped in paper bags, nothing more! Why doesn't the meat and other fillings go off?
You really don't want to know...

Sponsored Links
Back