Plumber fraud - seeking help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
I put ad on RatedPeople to renovate my old en-suite + new toilet/shower in Outbuilding. This tradesman came on 12th July and gave quotation + 5* ratings + reviews + previous work photos. I was impressed and he pushed that he can start now only because he is booked till October fully. We agreed at £5900 + 2700 for separate for boiler & fitting. He promised to finish entire work in 6 days & gave payment/work schedule in plain paper, no signature but just rough calculation/date (not sure if it can be even evidence). I transferred £2950 (50% of £5900) on 13th + next day £2700 for boiler to his business account as he said he can’t continue without boiler. He promised to give invoice on first day, then he said both invoice next day. First payment day 13th July, his 2 guys worked impressively for around 1/2 day. Then he said he will come with boiler on 15 but he didn’t. He came on 16th & worked 1/2day but didn’t bring boiler.

I wanted to deal for labour cost only but he insisted material will be cheaper as he is tradesman.

since that day, he says due to corona, less staff and so and so excuse. Always saI’d he will come but he didn’t turn up & I kept waiting whole day.

He replied two times my email, with signature of a lady [removed] but I know it’s him who sent email, saying same corona excuse.

He ignored my calls, sms, emails. He blamed me for hounding & Now he has blocked my number.

RatedPeople guys say they will investigate but very slow response (Only email address their customer support number is not working due to COVID).

I have disabllity blue badge + disabled council band. I was using this outbuilding for gym + physiotherapy & relaxation purpose. Now he has removed light and complete mess as he started 10% work and can’t even use it.

He knows I’m jobless & I borrowed the money from friend. Now no invoice and only proof I hv is bank transfer proof.

Pls help me how can I recover the money or let him complete work? Will solicitor or citizen advice help? I’m thinking to call him night and day with new phone number by hiding caller ID.
Pls advice, I’m already almost bankrupted with £20,000 debt.
Thank you so much

PS:
1. RatedPeople shows his address/Id verified
2. His email is not official but gmail account
3. It seems he doesn’t even have website

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I am very sorry to hear your problems.

Problems with tradesmen from online sites is sadly all too common. These sites should be forced by law to take responsibility.

I am sorry to say your only recourse is to take him to the small claims court.

It is quite simple, it's done online.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

I am sorry to say your only recourse is to take him to the small claims court.

Thanks for quick info. Form needs address & postcode of this tradesman. How I can get this? What I have is his phone number + bank account number.

Again sorry to hear of your tale, it's unfortunately all too common when finding tradesmen on sites such as this. I've used RP twice and had bad experiences both times.

Do you have a company name for him or just a personal name? You say you transferred the money to his business account so presumably from there you can find his business name, and thence his address.

How was the work agreed? Did he send you a written estimate with a contract to consider, or did you agree it while he was still in your home? This bit is important as it significantly affects your rights.

Sponsored Links
This story sounds extremely familiar and similar to another story I heard from a friend, down to the woman called [removed] answering emails.
Are you in west London?
Is this tradesman a very large 6'7" body builder?

Sorry to hear this but why on earth did you pay £5650 up front?

If he was going to replace your gas boiler he would have to be gas safe registered, look on their website for him and you should get his address, sadly though I very much doubt that he is, and in future never use these website cowboys that give ratings and crap, they just want money, they have no interest in providing any kind of service

This story sounds extremely familiar and similar to another story I heard from a friend, down to the woman called [removed] answering emails.
Are you in west London?
Is this tradesman a very large 6'7" body builder?

yes I live in west London. I think “[removed]” is just a name used but this guy is the one replying email.
Yes he is big fat guy but not so tall may be 5’10” Max. I found out that this guy lives in Leicestershire & found post code but not house number, drive a black Range Rover. I became stupid when I saw ratings & review comment, perhaps all are fabricated.

Sadly there is no written documents, no invoice. Only proof I have is his business account and bank transfer proof. He made things so fast that I paid in just two days in three different transactions.

I think he is misleading people even with his business name -
1) His registered business name in RatedPeople is “[removed]”

2) His email ID is [removed]
See “services” in his email and this company “[removed] is registered in Scotland. This, he is using other company’s name in email account with gmail.

3) Bank statement shows only “[removed]”

4) His name is [removed] as he said & as seen in email name

So, I can’t search his company anywhere. It seems he is pre-planned, habitual liar and cheater.

Do you have a company name for him or just a personal name? You say you transferred the money to his business account so presumably from there you can find his business name, and thence his address.

How was the work agreed? Did he send you a written estimate with a contract to consider, or did you agree it while he was still in your home? This bit is important as it significantly affects your rights.

Everything is verbal. Pls see above response from me. Only thing I have is he roughly put dates & amount on plain paper (No signature) that we used for discussion + bank transfer details + his phone number + sms + email replies.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. No I can start claim. Problem is I don’t even have money to pay court fees.
What happened to your remaining £2950 you would have had to pay him on completion of the work? Can't you use some of that to pay court fees?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back