Plumber fraud - seeking help

Everything is verbal. Pls see above response from me. Only thing I have is he roughly put dates & amount on plain paper (No signature) that we used for discussion + bank transfer details + his phone number + sms + email replies.
You've not quite answered my question, which is a very important detail. I'll ask again. Was the work agreed while he was in your home, or did he write down the details and leave your property for you to call him back later to agree the work? Please answer this question fully and accurately so that correct advice can be given to you

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You've not quite answered my question, which is a very important detail. I'll ask again. Was the work agreed while he was in your home, or did he write down the details and leave your property for you to call him back later to agree the work? Please answer this question fully and accurately so that correct advice can be given to you

Sorry If I cudnt explain properly.
No paper work.

1) 12/07: He came my home for 30 min & I told scope of work and we agreed verbally at £5900 without heating/boiler cost

2) 13/07 : We agreed the scope of work with “rough” sketch on plain paper + payment schedule on same paper + dateline for work as attached. We agreed to finish entire project in 6 days.

Then he let his guys work impressively 1/2 days. He asked 50% of £5900, I transferred £1500 (with promise to transfer rest next day). He promised to email invoice but he didn’t.

3) 14/07: He called & said he can’t continue without boiler & needs to pay remaining amount of 50% + for boiler. I transferred £1,450 + £2700 for boiler & fitting. He said he will come with boiler next day

4) 15/07: He didn’t turn up & when I called he said boiler order was late and so not ready & so can’t come

5) 16/07: He & his 2 guys came without boiler & did some piping work for boiler for 1/2 days.

Since that day everyday excuses, not seen anymore. Replied email twice and saying COVID as excuse. He blamed me for hounding him because I demand invoice + complete work as agreed. No invoice provided, no more call/sms response, phone blocked.

Attachments

• 8308D0D8-50BF-4157-9F27-388B3C9B4F39.jpeg
    8308D0D8-50BF-4157-9F27-388B3C9B4F39.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
What happened to your remaining £2950 you would have had to pay him on completion of the work? Can't you use some of that to pay court fees?

I can do that. What I meant to say that I’m running with borrowed money from friends, not my own money. This plumber also knows that I struggled & arranged money from friends and I hv no job. He knows my conversation with friends to help me.

That is at odds somewhat to your other thread on here about wanting to convert an outbuilding.

As explained in my other response, I’m running with help from my friends with who I worked before together for long time. I have to return the money though he is not pressing me hard with dateline to return. Then I had multiple operations and he is quite supportive.

As I have to return the money sometime in future and already I have debt, I want to be cautious now.

That is at odds somewhat to your other thread on here about wanting to convert an outbuilding.
This toilet/shower is related to that outbuilding only + some other renovation work in main building. I discussed and decided not to put kitchen as it needs permission. I was already using it for physio therapy, light gym without toilet/shower. I learnt that putting toilet shower (without kitchen) doesn’t need planning permission.

I’m collecting medical documents & discussing with other local leaders to get permission in future, when I get permission then I will make it habitual annexe. As of now I am told that I will get permission as I already have blue badge for parking + my council band is disabled band.

Guys, I’m bit sad. I’m not troll, not liar, my brought up is very simple & straightforward, ethics to treat other humans in the same way I’m treated and so I never thought anyone will cheat me.

Perhaps I do not have the skill to frame my words in perfect way and expressed whatever I feel.

I gave the plumber whatever I had borrowed from friend. Pls see attached

Last edited by a moderator:
If some of you guys doubt my honesty and think I’m troll, I’m sharing my payment proof here, attached. Pls match the dates I mentioned earlier

Sorry If I cudnt explain properly.
No paper work.

1) 12/07: He came my home for 30 min & I told scope of work and we agreed verbally at £5900 without heating/boiler cost

2) 13/07 : We agreed the scope of work with “rough” sketch on plain paper + payment schedule on same paper + dateline for work as attached. We agreed to finish entire project in 6 days.

Then he let his guys work impressively 1/2 days. He asked 50% of £5900, I transferred £1500 (with promise to transfer rest next day). He promised to email invoice but he didn’t.

3) 14/07: He called & said he can’t continue without boiler & needs to pay remaining amount of 50% + for boiler. I transferred £1,450 + £2700 for boiler & fitting. He said he will come with boiler next day

4) 15/07: He didn’t turn up & when I called he said boiler order was late and so not ready & so can’t come

5) 16/07: He & his 2 guys came without boiler & did some piping work for boiler for 1/2 days.

Since that day everyday excuses, not seen anymore. Replied email twice and saying COVID as excuse. He blamed me for hounding him because I demand invoice + complete work as agreed. No invoice provided, no more call/sms response, phone blocked.

OK, I'll try one more time.

When you agreed that he should do the work for you, was he in your house, or not in your house?

Well hurrah, finally we get there...I hope I'm not going to have to ask every question 3 times before you answer, or I might lose interest.

As he was in your house when you agreed to the work, the contract formed between you is known as an "off-premises contract". In other words, the contract was made away from the trader's premises. This means you have a legal right to a 14 day cooling-off period, during which time you can cancel all the work and demand a full refund. The 14 day period is extended up to a full 12 months if he does not inform you of your right to the cooling-off period in writing, and only reverts to 14 days once he provides you with this written advice of your rights, starting on the day he provides you with such advice. You are not required to give any reason for cancellation. They will be entitled to recover any materials supplied to you so far, if they so wish.

As it's a Ltd company you're dealing with, your contract is with the company, not the individual who visited your home. As such, you can start proceedings against the company, beginning with sending them a formal letter requesting cancellation of your contract under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and a full refund. State that you are happy to arrange for them to collect all materials supplied to you once they have confirmed the cancellation of the contract. Also give them 14 days to respond, and advise that if you have not heard from them within 14 days you will commence court proceedings against them. You should send this by Recorded Delivery, so that you can prove they have received it. Also photocopy the piece of paper he sketched the plan and payment schedule out on and send a copy of that with the letter. Until such time as it's proved otherwise, I would suggest you assume that the company whose details Denso linked to earlier are the company you are dealing with, even though they are in Lutterworth and you are not. It's not unusual for traders from other areas to travel to London for work.

Once you've done this, wait to see what their response is. What they say to you will guide your next move.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back