Plumber fraud - seeking help

I'd always question why a tradesman is regularly traveling long distances for work; especially since I had a (Gas Safe) gas plumber do work for me, (recommended by an Estate Agent) similar to the originator of the thread, when ever I rang him on his mobile he was driving to London, coming back from London, never seemed to be on a job; maybe he was on the 'nest'! When he did eventually arrive to service my gas installation he was in a rush, broke parts and left me with a gas leak.
He lived in Market Harborough.

I now have a gas safe man who refuses to work more than 15 miles from Rugby and he's extremely busy. regular work he books up 12 months/3 months in advance. Other work he fits in as and when.

Sponsored Links
I've edited it for you, see my italics above. The bit in [square brackets] is based on the assumption that you still have his calculations to hand, as you've not said whether you've still got it or not when I've mentioned it previously.

I have that calculations/sketch on hand as attached(also attached earlier). It doesn’t include new boiler + fitting/heating system costs.

Few small things I have not cleared. Sorry I wanted to make things short.

1) 12/07: At my house, We talked about ONLY £5900 and he said he will tell me cost for boiler & fitting(heating system/piping) later. There was understanding that he will do boiler work also. We agreed at £5900 but didn’t discuss payment plan.

2) 13/07: At my house, Sketch was made on this day, showing payment plan for £5900, demanded 50%. I transferred £1500 and promised rest of 50% next day.

Same day, at house, at the end of the day he told £3000 for boiler. I told him, “I will inform tomorrow” if my friend can help me.

14) On phone, we agreed at £2700 for boiler/heating system and I transferred remaining 50% of £5900 & £2700 in two separate transactions.

with this info, do we need to edit the draft you have edited or keep as it is?

I hv attached sketch.

Attachments

• 54F2A04B-D796-4D42-8B92-B5B3847A061C.jpeg
    54F2A04B-D796-4D42-8B92-B5B3847A061C.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 175
I'd always question why a tradesman is regularly traveling long distances for work

And if the company is the correct one it was only formed a few months ago and he isn't a director.

And if the company is the correct one it was only formed a few months ago and he isn't a director.

It’s correct one as I strongly feel.

1) RatedPeople shows “[removed]” which is matched with company registration as shown in earlier link

2) Name of the Guy I dealt is [removed]. Perhaps they r husband/wife

3) See all ratings, all between march & July. Just added a 1* rating

[removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
It’s correct one as I strongly feel.

Yes, it all seems to hang together. Maybe he is not a director, because he has been barred from being a director for misconduct? Which is where a partner or wife comes in, to be a director.

Is this them ? [removed]

There are rather a lot of '[removed].' companies about.

1) Should write sender in Envelope? I’m afraid he may not receive when he sees my name

2) shud I write receiver as [removed]? I think [removed] may be better so that they may not doubt that it’s case related letter?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I dont think you will see a penny of this money no matter what you do

Proof of posting is now legally accepted as proof of delivery, so no need for a signature at all, but wise to have it signed for. The postie usually signs as proof of delivery anyway. The signature is a signature on an electronic PDA, so will be unrecognisable anyway. When you post it, post it at a Post Office counter and they should give you a receipt which will have the letter's address, time and date of posting on - keep the receipt as evidence.

Yes, I would address the letter to [removed].

I have that calculations/sketch on hand as attached(also attached earlier). It doesn’t include new boiler + fitting/heating system costs.

Few small things I have not cleared. Sorry I wanted to make things short.

1) 12/07: At my house, We talked about ONLY £5900 and he said he will tell me cost for boiler & fitting(heating system/piping) later. There was understanding that he will do boiler work also. We agreed at £5900 but didn’t discuss payment plan.

2) 13/07: At my house, Sketch was made on this day, showing payment plan for £5900, demanded 50%. I transferred £1500 and promised rest of 50% next day.

Same day, at house, at the end of the day he told £3000 for boiler. I told him, “I will inform tomorrow” if my friend can help me.

14) On phone, we agreed at £2700 for boiler/heating system and I transferred remaining 50% of £5900 & £2700 in two separate transactions.

with this info, do we need to edit the draft you have edited or keep as it is?

I hv attached sketch.

This potentially changes things. This is why it is vitally important that you supply all details of your case in full so that correct advice can be given. If you miss bits out or avoid answering questions, you're likely to receive incorrect advice.

It seems pretty clear that the bathrooms works were agreed while he was in your home, so that's an off-premises contract and you have cancellation rights.

For the boiler works, did you phone him to confirm, or did he phone you?

For the boiler works, did you phone him to confirm, or did he phone you?

We discussed at home about boiler on 13th and “he phoned me” on 14th & I confirmed & transferred money immediately.

Is it ok now? cant we just club together the contract for boler also on 13th as we already discussed?

Dear [removed],

On 12th July 2020 you visited my home (Address xxx) to quote for the changes in existing bathroom/toilet, installation of new bathroom/toilet, new boiler fitting with related piping work. On 13th July 2020, in your second visit at my home, you calculated the costs of £5900 for the bathroom/toilet (£900 for the changes + £5000 for the new) and £2700 for the boiler & related work whilst you were there. Please see attached photocopy of your calculations carried out on site, and I immediately accepted, thereby forming an off-premises contract between us under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I paid you a deposit of £1500 on 13th July 2020, and a further two amounts of £1450 and £2700 on 14th July at your request.

I have now changed my mind and this is to inform you formally that I am cancelling our contract and receive a full refund of £5650, as is my right within the cooling-off period provided for in the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

As some materials have now been delivered to site, I will be happy to arrange for you to collect all materials supplied once you have confirmed the cancellation of the contract.

I give you 14 days to respond, and advise that if I have not heard from you within 14 days, I will commence court proceedings against you.

Regards,
Md Shah

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I dont think you will see a penny of this money no matter what you do
Its a new company -most likely they will apply to get companys house to strike it off. Even if the OP objects company house will get fed up and itll get dissolved, bye bye debt.

action in the small claims court is a suitable reason to object -the OP needs to make sure they dont try to dissolve co whilst the case is being processed.

Is it ok now? cant we just club together the contract for boler also on 13th as we already discussed?

No, you can't just lob them in together. They are two separate contracts formed on separate days, so must be dealt with separately.

Fortunately, as he phoned you to confirm the second contract (for the boiler) that is also an off-premises contract and so you have the same cancellation rights as the contract for the bathroom works. If you had phoned him, it would be an on-premises contract and you would have no cancellation rights.

Do you see now how small details make big differences? This is why it's very important that all info provided is accurate

No, you can't just lob them in together. They are two separate contracts formed on separate days, so must be dealt with separately.

I have segregated the two contracts and final wording is as follows:

Dear [removed]

On 12th July 2020 you visited my home (Address xxx) to quote for the changes in existing bathroom/toilet, installation of new bathroom/toilet, new boiler fitting with related piping work.

On 13th July 2020, in your second visit at my home, you calculated the costs of £5900 for the bathroom/toilet (£900 for the changes + £5000 for the new) and I immediately accepted the contract(1st contract). On the same day, at my home we discussed the boiler & related work whilst you were there.

On 14th July, you called me on phone and we both agreed new boiler and related work at £2700 and I immediately accepted the contract (2nd contract).

Please see attached photocopy of your calculations carried out on site, and I immediately accepted, thereby forming an off-premises contract between us under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I paid you a deposit of £1500 on 13th July 2020, and a further two amounts of £1450 and £2700 on 14th July at your request.

I have now changed my mind and this is to inform you formally that I am cancelling both the contracts and receive a full refund of £5650, as is my right within the cooling-off period provided for in the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

As some materials have now been delivered to site, I will be happy to arrange for you to collect all materials supplied once you have confirmed the cancellation of the contract.

I give you 14 days to respond, and advise that if I have not heard from you within 14 days, I will commence court proceedings against you.

Regards,
Md Shah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back