Plumber fraud - seeking help

I have segregated the two contracts and final wording is as follows:

Dear [removed],

On 12th July 2020 you visited my home at (Address xxx) to quote for the changes in existing bathroom/toilet, installation of new bathroom/toilet, new boiler fitting with related piping work.

On 13th July 2020, in your second visit to my home, you calculated the costs of £5900 for the bathroom/toilet (£900 for the changes + £5000 for the new, as per the enclosed photocopy of your calculations) and I immediately accepted the your price. On the same day, at my home we discussed the boiler & related work whilst you were there.

On 14th July 2020, you telephoned me and quoted the price of £2700 for the boiler installation and related work, which I accepted during that call.

The two contracts formed between us upon my acceptance of your quoted prices are off-premises contracts under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I paid you a deposit of £1500 on 13th July 2020, and a further two amounts of £1450 and £2700 on 14th July at your request.

I have now changed my mind and this letter is to inform you formally that I am cancelling both the contracts. I therefore request a full refund of £5650, as is my right within the cooling-off period provided for in the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

As some materials have now been delivered to site, I will be happy to arrange for you to collect all materials supplied once you have confirmed the cancellation of the contract.

I give you 14 days to respond, and advise that if I have not heard from you within 14 days, I will commence court proceedings against you.

Regards,
Md Shah

Corrected for grammar and slightly rearranged as you'd managed to jumble it up a bit in editing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
How can I do it?
Keep an eye on the Filing History tab of the Companies House information page for their company. If an "Application To Strike The Company Off The Register" appears, it will mean that they're trying to dissolve the company to avoid paying their debts. You will then need to wait for the "First Gazette notice of voluntary strike-off" to appear about a month later, at which point you will be able to object to them striking-off on the grounds that you are an unpaid creditor.

Sponsored Links
Yes, and if your email program has the option to request a Read Receipt, which shows that the recipient has read the email, that would help as you can prove it. Better still, use a different email account which doesn't obviously identify you from the email address, and send it from that with a generic subject title such as "Building Work" so they don't suspect it's you until they've opened it. Keep the Read Receipt as that is proof that they have received your email and opened it

Yes, and if your email program has the option to request a Read Receipt, which shows that the recipient has read the email, that would help as you can prove it. Better still, use a different email account which doesn't obviously identify you from the email address, and send it from that with a generic subject title such as "Building Work" so they don't suspect it's you until they've opened it. Keep the Read Receipt as that is proof that they have received your email and opened it

Tick both the delivery receipt and read receipt boxes. Delivery depends upon the server acknowledging, most don't. Read receipt is dependant on the person receiving the email ticking OK in a popup box to acknowledge the email. Both worth a try, but...

Yahoo mail doesn’t have this “read receipt” feature. Gmail has for paid users - but not for normal user. It says Upgrade from G Suite legacy free edition.

Is there any other email provider which has this feature?

thanks

Keep an eye on the Filing History tab of the Companies House information page for their company. If an "Application To Strike The Company Off The Register" appears, it will mean that they're trying to dissolve the company to avoid paying their debts. You will then need to wait for the "First Gazette notice of voluntary strike-off" to appear about a month later, at which point you will be able to object to them striking-off on the grounds that you are an unpaid creditor.
Only to find that the company holds no assets.
Unfortunately as said, this "proper company" scam is more or less watertight for the fraudster.
"Proper company" is what the fraudster tell the mark so to make them thinking that they have some sort of come back, when in fact dealing with a sole trader would offer much more guarantee.

Yahoo mail doesn’t have this “read receipt” feature. Gmail has for paid users - but not for normal user. It says Upgrade from G Suite legacy free edition.

Is there any other email provider which has this feature?

thanks
It's usually a feature built into proper email programs such as Outlook, Thunderbird, BlueMail etc

Just chiming in here, this bit:
"I have now changed my mind and this is to inform you formally that I am cancelling our contract and receive a full refund of £5650, as is my right within the cooling-off period provided for in the Consumer Rights Act 2015."

Doesnt make sense.
the "I am cancelling our contract and receive a full refund of £5650" bit.
Should that have an "I am expecting to receive a " in it?

Like:
"I am cancelling our contract and I am expecting to receive a full refund of £5650"

Just chiming in here, this bit:
"I have now changed my mind and this is to inform you formally that I am cancelling our contract and receive a full refund of £5650, as is my right within the cooling-off period provided for in the Consumer Rights Act 2015."

Doesnt make sense.
the "I am cancelling our contract and receive a full refund of £5650" bit.
Should that have an "I am expecting to receive a " in it?

Like:
"I am cancelling our contract and I am expecting to receive a full refund of £5650"
Read my edited version, which is the version being sent ;)

They hv received the letter, signed by [removed]. Not sure wife or husband:)

Excellent, now you wait to see what they say in response. Did you manage to find a way of sending an email with delivery and read receipts? No worries if not, it's not really needed as they've accepted the letter

Me thinks you have a fight on your hands...
The people in Lutterworth are registered as [removed] as director. There is a company [removed] in Aberdeen. [removed] is located in Bedfordshire. To make it worse there are many plumbing companies with similar names around the country.
Do you have anything that clearly states the company name; e.g. Letterhead, Business card, even a photo of their van (better if it includes the Reg Number)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back