Prices Rise 80%

to prove that claim do you got link?
It was on TV last night, Channel 4 News I think.
Sorry, I didn't make a note of it at the time.

Edit:
Just picking up on snippets of information, Sorry, I don't have time now for more in-depth research:

"Gas was almost 40% of total primary energy supply" (in UK, 2010)

"42% in 2016
Since 2015 UK has been a net importer of energy.

• "Gas represents 21.5% of EU’s primary energy consumption. It is the dominant source of energy for households (32.1%).(in EU) ... Industry consumption has declined by 20% since 2000, whereas in the same period gas use for power generation has risen by 15%. These trends are due to the EU’s economic transition from industry to energy services and structural changes in the energy-intensive industry."

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Get jobs, get better jobs.

Use less energy

Stop buying new tops from Asos every week

Stop going on expensive holidays

Stop having a new car every 2 years

Stop getting Uber's to and from Asda

Stop having kids they can't afford to bring up

There may be more options.

Our main car we've had for 10 years and was 7 years when we bought it. My car to get to work is he same age but has faired better over the years and is cheaper and easier to maintain so we will keep it for the foreseeable.

The main car is getting a bit tired now and was planned for replacement for the past couple of years but one thing or another has happened and we've postponed it.

Now with the latest price increase looks like we be hanging on for a few more years, that coupled with the mortgage monthly payment increasing at least 50% when the deal ends suggests we won't be purchasing a newer car for likely at least another 5 years.

We don't have fancy holidays (Yarmouth for past 5 years) or extravagant house 3 bed semi) only 1 child and things are already getting tight.

Life is just becoming 1 big pile of poop at the moment and will continue for a number of years. In the meantime at least the energy companies are making big profits, apparently windfarm owners have never made so much money.

Mine and my wife's combined yearly incomings would usually be considered as good.

Will sit down in the next few weeks and go through costs and what we can cut back on. Might have to revert to giving ourselves a monthly cash allowance for "fun family things" and when it's gone its gone

Last edited:
In addition, UK householders and industry are heavier users of gas than their European counterparts, who are more reliant on electricity.
I heard that but there could be odd factors involved. France and Sweden for instance went extremely nuclear for electricity. Neither have gas, same applies to others. We did have gas. ;) Cheap once. However usage of that did depend on cost of getting it. It's under the sea. That means gas prices have to be at some level to justify getting at it. Oil prices figure too and where there is oil there may well be gas. Oil prices also needed to reach a certain level.

Then this aspect
Most of the UK's electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels, mainly natural gas (42% in 2016) and coal (9% in 2016). A very small amount is produced from other fuels (3.1% in 2016).

Out of date but still a factor. I have wondered how much gas has been used to generate electricity as gas is the usual way of heating our homes. Sufficient power can be got to where it's needed with gas - it can't in the case of electricity. You should see a Swedish consumer unit to see the difference needed and they do have well insulated homes. If rather than using gas for electricity we had used something else we would probably still have loads available.

Looking for more gas has cropped up now and again. The usual comment was not enough money in it to justify doing it, I would have though there is enough now but a business will wonder how long this will last. Going green sets a time limit but gov might think due to other factors gas may still be needed to top up the supply. All a business will think about is the return. They don't like losses.

Well done Tory voters, Brexiteers and War with Russia war mongors.
Never lose sight of the fact that the rising prices we are currently seeing are due to the government printing £400 billions of funny money. Calls for government help, and proposals by the government to help, only involve printing more funny money. The only way to get out of this mess is to produce things ourselves. In the case of energy, that would involve creating new or increasing existing oil, gas, nuclear, fracking, hydro and tidal production and taking all energy industries out of foreign hands.
We should do about what the French have done. Sort the costs from the top.
"We" already have, see my above comment.
The alternative is civil unrest.
That will never happen. The covid restrictions proved that the British people will take anything the government throws at them lying down. BUT, it is one answer to the problem.

Crucially, it depends on the sort of civil unrest. The so-called riots we have seen recently have mainly been shoplifting sprees by mobs of blacks taking advantage of the absence of policing. What we need is government officials, local and national, to viscerally experience the anger of the people. Target government homes and buildings, not shops.

Sponsored Links
What we need is government officials, local and national, to viscerally experience the anger of the people. Target government homes and buildings, not shops.
So now, along with shooting refugees on sight, you're proposing widescale looting and riots?

So now, along with shooting refugees on sight, you're proposing widescale looting and riots?
How else do you propose to get rid of our parasite politicians?

Democracy isn't working. The next PM is likely to be the man who inflated us into this mess in the first place.

Do wish HMG would remove the link between Gas and Electric pricing; apparently the electric price is tied to gas because of the gas used for generation.
The link was described on R4 Any Answers today (or was it Any Questions? - not sure as I was driving at the time, anyway it was in the foirst few minutes of the program).

That programme also stated the price of Gas per Therm has gone up 12 fold this year.

Last edited:
That tends to happen in Winter anyway, it shouldn't in a civilised society, but it does, regardless of which party is in power. The Govt are faced with a binary choice, they either help people or they don't, my guess is they will soften the blow with more govt borrowing as they did with covid.

The alternative is civil unrest.
They could regulate the energy suppliers a bit more. And try harder not to insult our suppliers.

People will freeze, some will starve, some will be made homeless.
Cheer up...

The latest incarnation of the 'virus' might get them, and that will take the heat out of the situation :cool:

Our main car we've had for 10 years and was 7 years when we bought it. My car to get to work is he same age but has faired better over the years and is cheaper and easier to maintain so we will keep it for the foreseeable.

The main car is getting a bit tired now and was planned for replacement for the past couple of years but one thing or another has happened and we've postponed it.

Now with the latest price increase looks like we be hanging on for a few more years, that coupled with the mortgage monthly payment increasing at least 50% when the deal ends suggests we won't be purchasing a newer car for likely at least another 5 years.

We don't have fancy holidays (Yarmouth for past 5 years) or extravagant house 3 bed semi) only 1 child and things are already getting tight.

Life is just becoming 1 big pile of poop at the moment and will continue for a number of years. In the meantime at least the energy companies are making big profits, apparently windfarm owners have never made so much money.

Mine and my wife's combined yearly incomings would usually be considered as good.

Will sit down in the next few weeks and go through costs and what we can cut back on. Might have to revert to giving ourselves a monthly cash allowance for "fun family things" and when it's gone its gone
This is the thing, it almost (never mind almost, it does) become insulting when we seem to be lectured at, often by folk who are quite/very/extremely wealthy, as to why things are this way, why they need to remain this way, and that we just need to tighten our belts and get on with it. Meanwhile the rich continue to get richer ...

Of course there's a side debate about folk who do live beyond their means, have more kids than they can financially support etc. I'm not referring to that here. I'm referring to the entire capitalist model, it ain't working. Correction, it is working ... for some. And many of those appear to be the ones metaphorically patting us on the head telling us it needs to be this way and will get better at some point.

I've said this before, and of course it's cloud cuckoo land (because of greed, corruption, the desire for control/power etc) but go with me. Let's imagine there was global agreement, strictly adhered to, that the pay ratio gap thingy between the average worker and CEO could never exceed 20. All industries, all companies private and public had to comply. So in an example where the average worker earns £20k, the CEO salary would be capped at £400k. As in the total remuneration package.

People that are driven to be leaders (i.e. have leadership traits) would still strive to become senior managers, leaders and CEOs, even though they couldn't earn any more than £400k. Just because that's the most they can earn doesn't mean they would think 'ah f**k it, I'll just work on the shop floor, what's the point!' The point is they could still be earning £400k as opposed to £20k, confident that other CEOs in that sector (or any sector) weren't earning more in respect of the 20 times ratio.

We get all this guff spouted at us as to why remuneration can never be capped, the need to attract the best talent etc, but if it was genuinely capped, the best talent would still want to be the best talent.

Say footballer salaries were capped at £250k a year. All clubs, all leagues, all countries. Boys and girls that have a desire to reach the top of that profession would still have that desire, even though they couldn't earn more than £250k a year.

Now before you start replying saying 'yeah but businesses would simply offer more £££ under the table' you're entirely missing the point of my post. My point is, if these strategies were introduced and strictly adhered to by all, the best would still want to be the best.

I've said this before, and of course it's cloud cuckoo land (because of greed, corruption, the desire for control/power etc) but go with me. Let's imagine there was global agreement, strictly adhered to, that the pay ratio gap thingy between the average worker and CEO could never exceed 20. All industries, all companies private and public had to comply. So in an example where the average worker earns £20k, the CEO salary would be capped at £400k. As in the total remuneration package.

People that are driven to be leaders (i.e. have leadership traits) would still strive to become senior managers, leaders and CEOs, even though they couldn't earn any more than £400k. Just because that's the most they can earn doesn't mean they would think 'ah f**k it, I'll just work on the shop floor, what's the point!' The point is they could still be earning £400k as opposed to £20k, confident that other CEOs in that sector (or any sector) weren't earning more in respect of the 20 times ratio.

We get all this guff spouted at us as to why remuneration can never be capped, the need to attract the best talent etc, but if it was genuinely capped, the best talent would still want to be the best talent.

Say footballer salaries were capped at £250k a year. All clubs, all leagues, all countries. Boys and girls that have a desire to reach the top of that profession would still have that desire, even though they couldn't earn more than £250k a year.

Now before you start replying saying 'yeah but businesses would simply offer more £££ under the table' you're entirely missing the point of my post. My point is, if these strategies were introduced and strictly adhered to by all, the best would still want to be the best.
this is 1 of your better posts.

Sponsored Links
Back