Race report. UK a model for other white countries

I believe they people of colour refer to other persons of colour whom disagree with their view of institutional racism as uncle Tom's, or coon's, apparently it's ok for them to say these things, like with the word nig ger, ok for them not ok for whites.

Im always amazed how people think it's ok in this day and age of inclusivity that we should be forced to consider an exception of exclusivity ie the use of this vulgar word by some and not others. It should be left with other racial slurs, in the bin not to be used. And ugly unpleasant word. Or those people too are part of the problem.

sxturbo and festive are obviously incapable of understanding how otherwise offensive words can be used between close friends, partners, etc as terms of endearment.
I might call my partner "a silly old whatsit". But I would lambast anyone else who dared to refer to them in an offensive or insulting manner.
Clearly they think that if Mrs Jones husband calls him a dirty old man during a period of intimacy or as a term of endearment, they should also have the right to refer to him as such, but in an insulting or abusive manner.

I really do wonder at the intellect of such people.

Sponsored Links
I believe they people of colour refer to other persons of colour whom disagree with their view of institutional racism as uncle Tom's, or coon's, apparently it's ok for them to say these things, like with the word nig ger, ok for them not ok for whites.

"Overt and outright racism persists in the UK", particularly online, the report found, adding that it remained a "real force" and should be taken "seriously".
So sxturbo thinks it's OK to add to it. :rolleyes:

Has anyone on here actually read the report or even the foreword?

In my brief read of the foreword, there is no denial of racism in the UK. It makes the point that racism does exist, but its key point is that there are greater factors in play that affect the outcomes of the younger generation than just racism, and that racism is a easy card to play as a reason for inequality when there are other significant factors that are being ignored. EG Why do children of Black African heritage outperform children of Afro Caribbean heritage despite being in the same classrooms.

Yet again, we find ourselves in the situation where anyone that says that there may be other factors in play other than racism is denounced as a racist or a victim blamer to shut down the discussion.

Can't really win with this one can you.

1) Don't commission a report = outrage at perceived or real institutional racism and questions of what must be done.

2) Comission a report that highlights institutional racism = outrage at institutional racism and questions of what must be done.

3) Comission a report that rejects institutional racism = outrage at biased and unrepresentative report and questions about what must be done.

A lose, lose, lose situation.

Sponsored Links
Precisely, but that is the opinion of Dr Sewell. Black boys need more teaching than their white, Asian, Chinese, etc counterparts.

If that is not racist, then I suggest we redefine the definition of racism.

Ate you saying Dr Sewell is racist?

The problems really come from pundits who push points of view without any consideration of the whole picture. They are campaigners really so when anything crops up that differs from their point of view they will argue against it. So in this case one lot will believe the reports the other lot will say biased. At least this one does mention factors that do not fit in with discrimination based or race. People who campaign against discrimination are unlikely to agree with it because it argues against their belief that the entire problem is discrimination so weakens their argument.

It's politics really and crops up in all sorts of areas and exaggeration is a good way of making a point. Discrimination does exist though. There is no doubt about that. It's just not as extreme as some think. Kids can be cruel as well. They will use all sorts of words to describe people who are different in some way. It's pretty clear that this can remain with some coloured people in some cases for much of their life. Some times colour might not come into it. I'm reminded of some one white, with big ears that was called wing nut. It needn't be just kids either.

Can't really win with this one can you.

1) Don't commission a report = outrage at perceived or real institutional racism and questions of what must be done.

2) Comission a report that highlights institutional racism = outrage at institutional racism and questions of what must be done.

3) Comission a report that rejects institutional racism = outrage at biased and unrepresentative report and questions about what must be done.

A lose, lose, lose situation.

Here's a thought, how about a report that is actually independent.

So:

1. Tories wont do an impact assessment on Brexit....cos it will be negative
2. Tories conveniently forget to investigate Russian collusion...so the report concludes it won't find any
3. Tories appoint wealthy mates to write a report on racism which conveniently says it doesn't find any.

We live in a political period of alternative facts

The Government will only release a report that paints it in a good light. Where is the report from 2017 into how poor the NHS PPE supplies were - it's been buried deep.

So:

1. Tories wont do an impact assessment on Brexit....cos it will be negative
2. Tories conveniently forget to investigate Russian collusion...so the report concludes it won't find any
3. Tories appoint wealthy mates to write a report on racism which conveniently says it doesn't find any.

We live in a political period of alternative facts

What ever made you vote Tory for most of your adult life.... when you get things wrong you really get things wrong..

we find ourselves in the situation where anyone that says that there may be other factors in play other than racism is denounced as a racist or a victim blamer to shut down the discussion.

that's an easy card to play, isnt it?

I cant say Ive seen calls of racist or victim blamer in this thread

Has anyone on here actually read the report or even the foreword?
yes -at least the foreword and some of the content

I would suggest the problem is less the report and more the media interpretation of it, is where the problem lies.

the report in itself is fairly non controversial, but that doesnt make for good headlines

Sponsored Links
Back