replacing a dimmer with a 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im trying to replace a dimmer switch with a 2 way switch, without success.

currently, there's a single red wire going into one hole at the top of the dimmer (1 way) and another single red wire going into another hole at the bottom (COM). There are also two black wires going into a connector and nothing coming out the other side.

is this correct, cos my wall lights not working, ive tried using another switch and another light unit without success

Sponsored Links
your description implies that you are trying to do away with a dimmer. Is this correct? Is the light controlled from another location? And just one switch on this plate?

yes, sorry should have explained. im just using the switch as a 1 way switch (not controlling it from anywhere else), and im doing away with the dimmer for a normal switch.

if the switch has a COM or C terminal, connect to this and L1 with the two reds.

If there is no COM or C, use L1 and L2 (there will also be an L3, this is unused).

Sponsored Links
this is how i have it connected it at the moment and the lights dont work.

ive got one of those current reading pens and theres a current going all the way through to the lights, but theyre still not coming on. theres current going through both the red wires also.
any ideas?

Have you checked the connections at the light? Are the neutrals (back of switch box) connected ok?

Is the bulb ok?

yeah change the bulb.. it's blown...

check the blacks haven come loose..

to be certain it's not the switch, put both red wires in one terminal and tighten ( doesn't matter which terminal ).. this bypasses the switch entirely.. the light should be on permanently when you turn the power back on..

not a problem with the bulbs or light itself as ive tried both the switch and the light unit elsewhere and they work fine.

i tried connecting the two red wires into one hole in the switch and it still doesnt come on (still getting current into the light unit). both black wires into the connector are fine.

any other ides?

then the light itself is knackered.. or a bad connection..

you need to get a multimeter and check for proper voltage at the light, not a non-contact volt stick as these don't tell you if the neutrals are ok, just that there's a live wire in there..

not a problem with the bulbs or light itself
Thats not what I asked you to check. The connections in the light. Did you alter the wiring to the light? (You obviously have as you state you have tried it elsewhere, did you connect it up correctly?)

Any chance of photos of the switch back, wired up, and the light fitting wiring? If its close up, use "macro" focus, symbol of a tulip on most cameras / cam-phones.

sorry, yes i did connect up the two red wires into the same hole in the switch.
checked that the two black wires into the connector are fine also. tested bulbs also

ill take some photos and post them later on today

pics below. let me know if any other pics would be useful

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

Are they low energy bulbs?

Have you tried to DIM them?

They may be broken. Have you tried normal bulbs?

I am also curious as to why there are two lives (red) at the light fitting - is there another fitting powered by this switch?

yes, theyre low energy light bulbs.

by trying to DIM them i assume you mean replace the switch with a dimmer? if so, i tried that but it didnt work. If not, i dont know what DIM stands for.

definitely not a problem with the bulbs, ive tried them in another (exactly the same) light unit and they work fine.

ive tried replacing them with normal (non low energy) bulbs and that doesnt work.

there is another switch right next to the switch that doesnt work. thats got 3 red wires connecting to the switch (see photo below). this switch works fine.

switch.jpg

the switch that isnt working controls 3 wall light units, none of which are working. one of them has a current reading using my pen and the other 2 dont get a current. they used to work fine up until approx 2 weeks ago when they just stopped working. i havent done anything wiring related in the house during this time.

i have a digital multimeter to see exactly how much current is coming through the light unit that doesnt work. unfortunately the battery is flat, so ill replace it and check tomorrow.

the wiring in the righthand switch looks incorrect.
it looks like it should have been wired for one way switching.
is this switch supposed to two wayed with another switch?
wouldn't have thought so.
if it is supposed to be one switch only you could try putting the red to the light in L1 and the other two reds in COM.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back