Replacing the Kitchen

Cos it dries out and falls off, or can leave a horrible gluey mess. All connections should also be made in a suitable enclosure.
Why did you use yellow crimps?
There is usually more than one way of going about a job, I take it the wire goes up the wall inside the bathroom in a safe zone? Is there a void above the bathroom? Can you feed a new piece of cable via an alternative route?

Sponsored Links
There is usually more than one way of going about a job, I take it the wire goes up the wall inside the bathroom in a safe zone? Is there a void above the bathroom? Can you feed a new piece of cable via an alternative route?

The cable comes in the door frame, behied the tiles, & then runs stright up the wall, behied the tiles, & then runs above the ceiling to the light.

There is no void above the bathroom, as it has a flat roof.

There is no way to feed in a new piece of cable via an alternative route.

OK, can you put the joint in an accessable enclosure and do it properly. Yellow crimps are the wrong ones to use by the way, they should be red ones.

I was going to sugest to the OP that he put some velux roof windows in to that sloped roof if he's going to be enclosing the courtyard to make it a utility roof as this will greatly cut down on the amount of natural light coming in through that window.....
but it looks like I'm a little late since he's re formed the cieling and used it as a void to run cabling and such...

the alternative is to have a glass conservatory built and use that as the utility..

Sponsored Links
I am going to make the courtyard into conservatory of sorts. I was going to put in some windows down the open end of the courtyard, & replace the current roof on the courtyard, with a conservatory type roof.

This is a very big job, especially, if you are doing most of the work yourself.

I'm still in the process of painting/decorating my bedroom and because I work full time and am doing it myself, it is taking an absolute age. 'A lick of paint takes a few hours', but to get a perfect finish, takes ages. Your kitchen is much larger project and I imagine it will take you at least another month to complete. More reastically, it will probably take you another 2-3 months, to get it 100% finished. What is your estimate of its completion date?

Great pics, though - very detailed. Keep them coming.

Cables above the ceiling

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

5 downlights cables

DSC00197.jpg

3 downlights cables

DSC00202.jpg

Cables above the new ceiling

DSC00198.jpg

Fire hood above one of the downlights (all of the downlights have one)

DSC00194.jpg

Cable for Back Floodlight & Utility Room light

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

Cables for Utility Room Ring & Smoke alarm

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

Cables to the Fridge socket

DSC00230.jpg

Fridge double socket

DSC00223.jpg

Cooker hood cables

DSC00220.jpg

Cooker Hood socket

DSC00245.jpg

Cooker cables

DSC00242.jpg

Cooker Cables

DSC00244.jpg

the 1st under cupboard lights socket

DSC00229.jpg

Holes for DSO, 2 FCUs & a 15A Round pin socket (below worktop, fed from 1 of the FCUs)

DSC00213.jpg

TV & under cupboard lights cables

DSC00221.jpg

The 2nd, 3rd & 4th Under cupboard lights sockets

DSC00243.jpg

Hole in floor on sink side, filled, & new earth cable (It is the one coming out of the piece of conduit, by the back door. The other earth cable is the old one)

DSC00246.jpg

Here are some pictures of the temp. courtyard (Utility Room) light

The light

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

The switch

DSC00227.jpg

The supply cable

DSC00225.jpg

The light just plugs into a socket in the dining room

Looks like you are having fun, love the pictures of it all reminds me of the last kitchen i did about 3 years ago that was a 2 month strip the lot out job and start with empty shell we then moved out withing 6 months and let the house out and have a rubbish kitchen that needs replacement :rolleyes:

Last time I saw an old ceiling above a new suspended ceiling a lot of it was laying on top of the suspended ceiling having been weaked by condensation and damp.

MDB,

Did you change the yellow crimps and have you had your BCO inspection at first fix (given most of your work is now inaccessible for inspection).

The feed to the cooker hood, the horizontal run will require the socket to be visible otherwise there is no safe zone between the "T" junction and the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back