Replacing the Kitchen

have you had your BCO inspection at first fix (given most of your work is now inaccessible for inspection).

I know that he would eventually have to get the electrics certified, but apart from that, is there any need for Building Control to be notified - apart from the electrics, this is just a kitchen refurb?

Sponsored Links
I know that he would eventually have to get the electrics certified, but apart from that, is there any need for Building Control to be notified - apart from the electrics, this is just a kitchen refurb?
Yes, MDB is a DIYer, doing electrical work in the kitchen, as well as other work including replacing the consumer unit and rewiring several circuits, if not the entire house. This is notifiable to his LABC under part P of the building regs.

But would it not be easier for him to get an electrician (after he has completed the work) to certify the electrics, rather than involve the council?

I doubt any reputable electrician would sign off this project as much of the installation is now out of sight and cannot be inspected.

Sponsored Links
But would it not be easier for him to get an electrician (after he has completed the work) to certify the electrics, rather than involve the council?
Aside from dicing with the law re. the building regs, note Bernard's comments.

I doubt any reputable electrician would sign off this project as much of the installation is now out of sight and cannot be inspected.

So then what could be done after he has finished the project, with respect to the electics? Surely, the council would not have him rip the whole installation to pieces and start again, just so they can inspect the electrics?

I'm interested to know how councils would handle this problem.

The feed to the cooker hood, the horizontal run will require the socket to be visible otherwise there is no safe zone between the "T" junction and the socket.

The socket for the cooker hood, will be beheid the metal chimney of the hood

MDB,

Did you change the yellow crimps and have you had your BCO inspection at first fix (given most of your work is now inaccessible for inspection).

Yes the yellow crimps have been changed for red ones, & the BCO inspection has been done for the first fix.

So then what could be done after he has finished the project, with respect to the electics? Surely, the council would not have him rip the whole installation to pieces and start again, just so they can inspect the electrics?

I'm interested to know how councils would handle this problem.
They inspect TWICE! You heard of first fix and second fix?

Some of the Rubbish from the Old Kitchen

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

New earth bonding cable for kitchen/bathroom pipes

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

Cables for 3 Gang Light Switch by the back door

DSC00259.jpg

Bathroom Light Switch

DSC00272.jpg

TV cables & 2nd & 3rd Under cupboard lights cables

DSC00271.jpg

Cooker Cables

DSC00268.jpg

Cable for 1st Under Cupboard light

DSC00270.jpg

Conduits Feeding the outside JBs (Shed, Shed Freezer,Front outside socket, Loft Sockets & Immersion Heater/CH power)

DSC00260.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

The Electric Supply

DSC00265.jpg

Temp. Lighting JB (Upstairs & Downstairs Lights, fed by 1mm flex with a plug on the end)

DSC00266.jpg

Hob & Shed power temp. JB

DSC00263.jpg

My 110v SDS Dill with chasing bit in

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

They inspect TWICE! You heard of first fix and second fix?

They don't inspect twice in my area. Just once after the work has been finished - they just get their inspector or an electrician to essentially do a PIR!

With regards to sunama's comment, you can apply for your work to be 'regularised' as the council call it, allowing you to have your work signed off if it's been done in the past. In my area it works out the same price to apply for permission to do the work as it does to get retrospective permission on the work you've done.

Here are some more pictures

15A Round Pin FCU wiring

DSC00273.jpg

Under cabinet socket FCU wires

DSC00293.jpg

Under cabinet socket FCU wiring

DSC00295.jpg

DSO & 2 FCUs

DSC00297.jpg

15A Round Pin Socket wiring

DSC00299.jpg

The Finished 15A Round Pin Socket

DSC00304.jpg

cables

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

3 undercupboard lights 5A Round Pin Sockets wiring

DSC00288.jpg

5A Round Pin Socket wiring

DSC00289.jpg

the 3 finshed 5A Round Pin Sockets

DSC00290.jpg

The wiring in one of the 5A Round Pin Plugs

DSC00291.jpg

3 Undercupboard lights sockets

DSC00292.jpg

Cooker Hood FCU & Cooker Isolator wires

DSC00274.jpg

Cooker Outlet Plate wires

DSC00275.jpg

The Cooker Cable is 10mm T+E & the Cooker will be on a 45Amp Type B MCB

Cooker Hood FCU wiring

DSC00276.jpg

Cooker Isolator wiring

DSC00277.jpg

The finished Cooker Hood FCU & Cooker Isolator

DSC00278.jpg

Cooker Outlet Plate wiring

DSC00282.jpg

Cooker Outlet Plate

DSC00283.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

The Temp. electrics

Temp. Electric supply

DSC00306.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

(the piece of wood under the CCU, is all that is holding it up as the render on the wall behied it came off)

Temp. Cooker JB

DSC00305.jpg

Temp. Shed JB

DSC00280.jpg

Temp. Shed power & Shed freezer JB

DSC00281.jpg

Temp. Kitchen Power

Temp. Kitchen Power, Extension Leads

DSC00313.jpg

Temp. Kitchen Power, Extension Lead 1, & Temp. Double Socket Outlet

DSC00314.jpg

From left socket, of extension lead 1: 1st plug is Tumble Dryer & Wine Cooler, 2nd Plug is Washing Machine & Kettle, 3rd Plug is a Radio & White Spotlight, & 4th Plug is the power to the Temp. Double Socket Outlet.

In the Temp. DSO is: 1st Plug is the 2 temp. Kitchen Lights, & the 2nd Plug is the Back Garden Floodlight.

Temp. Kitchen Power, Extension Lead 2

DSC00315.jpg

From left socket, of extension lead 2: 1st plug is the air fresher, 2nd plug is the Black spotlight, 3rd plug is the door bell, & the 4th plug is the power to the temp. upstairs & downstairs lights JB.

The black extension lead, which comes from the dinning room is the power to the fridge.

The temp. cooker

DSC00318.jpg

Fridge & toster supply

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

Temp. kitchen supply & microwave power

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

(it is the 2nd plug in the socket)

Temp. power cables into the kitchen

DSC00325.jpg

Temp. fridge supply

DSC00326.jpg

Temp. power cables

DSC00328.jpg

Kettle & Washing Machine supply

DSC00330.jpg

Bathroom Light, Tumble dryer & Wine cooler supply

DSC00329.jpg

Temp. bathroom light supply

DSC00331.jpg

Temp. outside socket for Tumble dryer & Wine cooler

DSC00335.jpg

Tumble dryer & Wine Cooler

DSC00334.jpg

The New Kitchen units being fitted

Some of the new wall units up in the corner

DSC00308.jpg

All of the new wall units up in the corner

DSC00309.jpg

Some of the new kitchen floor, layed down

DSC00310.jpg

Corner floor unit in place

DSC00317.jpg

I'm expecting this to be a very nice kitchen.

Ive also noticed that you seem to know your way around electrics. Were you an electrician in your former life?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back