Russian looters

Sponsored Links
What a stupid way of thinking. They show you photo's of 600 tanks & yet you give no consideration that it might be 100 MBT's snapped from 6 different angles.

If they were really getting the 'kicking' that you are being told they're getting, then the conflict would be moving in a much different direction.
I haven't gone through each and every photo but I think you're out on a limb there. As others have pointed out, they're verified (and Include coordinates so you can probably find them on satellite photos).

I read that there are geeks out there analysing photos and did come up with an extremely big number, but they have an enormous number, stored. Something over 12,000.
Added to the tank losses, is the knowledge that they have a nasty habit of losing their turrets when ammo inside is set off, as learned in the Iraq war. That kills the crew, and it takes a long time to train a new unenthusiastic crew.
They've changed tactics to lose fewer, and they are inching forwards down Donbas way.

Sponsored Links
That link I put up says the Ukranians are using guerilla style tactics, nibbling away, then the Ru's launch masses of missiles on some Ukranian trenches and obliterate them

Ukrainian forces are playing the best strategy: they are choosing to give up ground rather than hold and suffer huge casualties, but UA are picking off Russian targets as and when they can….and causing significant losses.

Ukrainian positions are not being obliterated, in fact UA are taking back significant areas around Kharkiv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1eENwQOp_c
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-30

I read that there are geeks out there analysing photos and did come up with an extremely big number, but they have an enormous number, stored. Something over 12,000.
Added to the tank losses, is the knowledge that they have a nasty habit of losing their turrets when ammo inside is set off, as learned in the Iraq war. That kills the crew, and it takes a long time to train a new unenthusiastic crew.
They've changed tactics to lose fewer, and they are inching forwards down Donbas way.
There's a good RUSI summary of the issues experienced with the Russian 72 and successors. They've got excellent frontal armour but poorer side armour (all tanks do but most Western tanks are proportionally tougher). This means they're more vulnerable to man portable weapons from the sides, especially if they're unsupported by infantry as happened their botched invasion attempt.

The tendency of the tanks to cook off when hit is spectacular but it doesn't really matter much, anything that penetrates the armour of a tank typically kills the crew and wrecks the vehicle.

The bonus of the autoloader is reduced manning requirements, a smaller lighter cheaper vehicle and a lower profile.

Now they're using them as intended by doctrine, supported by artillery and infantry their losses will be slower.

Battle of the Donbas seems to be already have turned into a battle of attrition that holds out almost no possibility of a major Russian victory and more likely will peter out in the next week or so because of unsustainable losses

And now some worrying signs are creeping in for the Russians. 1st, there are indications that the Ukrainians are starting to deploy the loitering munition UAVs (Switchblade type) that were sent just a little while ago. This could be a major Russian problem

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1520101727684513792

Ukrainian forces are playing the best strategy: they are choosing to give up ground rather than hold and suffer huge casualties, but UA are picking off Russian targets as and when they can….and causing significant losses.

Ukrainian positions are not being obliterated, in fact UA are taking back significant areas around Kharkiv.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-30
The "obliterated" quote came from the Ukranian side. Where the russkies bring up some of their GRAD multiple launchers or another whose name I forget, they're pretty devastating. They only have enough for very selected use, clearly.
If you look at that site I linked a couple of times, you can see the daily movements of the fronts, all over. Most of them aren't moving much at all. Bits each way here and there. It's the Russians bombarding cities in the SE, not ukes.
The Ru s said they were going to withdraw from some areas like Kharkiv, which I daresay the other side would report as a successful counter attack. While they were there they knocked out the gas supply and god knows what else.
"Russia hopes to rectify issues that have previously constrained its invasion by geographically concentrating combat power, shortening supply lines and simplifying command and control." !!
You couldn't get supply lines much shorter than into Kharkiv, it's almost on the border.

Plenty of scope for it to evolve either way

There's a good RUSI summary of the issues experienced with the Russian 72 and successors. They've got excellent frontal armour but poorer side armour (all tanks do but most Western tanks are proportionally tougher). This means they're more vulnerable to man portable weapons from the sides, especially if they're unsupported by infantry as happened their botched invasion attempt.

The tendency of the tanks to cook off when hit is spectacular but it doesn't really matter much, anything that penetrates the armour of a tank typically kills the crew and wrecks the vehicle.

The bonus of the autoloader is reduced manning requirements, a smaller lighter cheaper vehicle and a lower profile.

Now they're using them as intended by doctrine, supported by artillery and infantry their losses will be slower.

At least some of the western tanks apparently don't kill all their contents on a single strike, the hull content is protected. If you google "jack in the box" tanks you get comparisons. A shock wave can set the Russian shells off, it says. Therefore presumably a non-penetrating strike.
Earlier models did it too. Oops.

Last edited:
The Ru s said they were going to withdraw from some areas like Kharkiv, which I daresay the other side would report as a successful counter attack

that makes no sense.

Kharkiv is of significant strategic importance to Russia:

it’s a major transport hub
It’s close to Russian border
It’s got strong cultural ties to Russia

It sounds more like Russia was forced back.

That's just one region, where the Ru's said they were retracting.
Not really a summary of the war.

Russia are making almost no gains anywhere and are suffering major losses, another general today, 2 patrol boats.

And I believe Ukraine are starting to use the latest loitering drones.

Russians weapons are depleting whilst Ukraine’s are growing.

Ukraine has received Western-supplied artillery that has a larger range than Russia’s. Ukraine will soon be able to shell Russian artillery positions

I can't wait to watch clips of the parade in Moscow.

I wonder if the Russian TV covering the parade will be delayed by a few seconds so that if there is an incident the Kill Switch can be used to prevent the images being broadcast to the general public.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back