save our shops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it a good i :idea: to use tax payers dosh to save the post office , :confused: i think it is, but a report in the week-end papers say that the butcher's shop is also under pressure,so should we help the little shops and save our high streets and village store's :) the supermarkets may take over our world

Sponsored Links
The problem with the post office is the government has taken so many services away from them, that they are stuggling to offer anything for their customers.

This has been a great excuse for the government to shut down an awful lot of POs due to 'a lack of foot fall', and save a boat load of money to boot.

They do not give a flying f**k about the community which is being deprived of this service.

When I moved to the village I live in now, there was, A Post Office, a Library come Doctors Surgery, a butchers shop, and local village shop. In 10 years, these have all gone, which I feel is a big loss to the community.

We were told that we could keep the library if we managed to staff it by unpaid local volunteers, this we managed to do, but the council still closed it and sold off the building.

We have no bus service to talk about, and our roads barely have any tarmac on them, most of them are officially "failed" roads.

You really do think that not only does the government not give a stuff about rural communities, but also councils, for instance ours is a Conservative council.

We should have started "saving our shops" 30 years ago or more.

Sponsored Links
personally I prefer the supermarkets, all under one roof , convienience and cheaper than the local shops.

Not true tim. I can get my Foster's cheaper at my local shop than I can at any of the local money grabbing supermarkets.

The supermarkets are fine for big grocery shops, but I still go to our local butcher for meat - I won't buy meat from a supermarket and I go to the fish monger for fish (there's a surprise) and I get veggies from the market grower direct. I use the Post Office to pay me Council Tax and buy stamps and things.

Supermarkets have their place but the little local shops have their place too - I'd much rather buy fresh from the relevant shop whether it be butcher, baker, fish monger or whatever.

Maybe I'm conning myself that stuff is fresher there, but I'd rather go to the little shops for these items.

small communities will have to use or lose these shops, :( but i think if villages need goverment help and subs then it should be given , after all that what goverment are suppose to do help wew cant all live in citys ;)

The supermarkets are fine for big grocery shops, but I still go to our local butcher for meat - I won't buy meat from a supermarket and I go to the fish monger for fish (there's a surprise) and I get veggies from the market grower direct. I use the Post Office to pay me Council Tax and buy stamps and things.

Supermarkets have their place but the little local shops have their place too - I'd much rather buy fresh from the relevant shop whether it be butcher, baker, fish monger or whatever.

Maybe I'm conning myself that stuff is fresher there, but I'd rather go to the little shops for these items.

got to agree with that.walked out of supermarkets to many times,the meat is awful at the best of times.dont even get me started on the poultry.
then there is my local farm shops and stuff where i can buy mega fresh,seasonal produce.the adde advantage is i build up a relationship with these people and they know what i like.i just tell my butcher how much money i got and i will be in next week.wont get that at toscos.

on the other hand washing powder is washing powder so i get it from where its cheapest

wont go to tescos out of principal, despite the fact there is one a mile down the road from us. We do all we can to support local shops and farmers shops. It might cost a few pence more, but the quality is better. Most of them give discounts etc once you are a regular, and much better service than you get at the big supermarkets.

I live in harlow its a big town in essex huge shopping centre but only one butcher shop left at the local shops
i only go there out of princible

Sponsored Links
Back