Screw keeps spinning

Yes, you are in a pickle.

There should be no coloured wires outside of the box.

The outer sheath of the cable must enter the box.

Faceplate screws can be shortened various ways - they can be cut with side cutters (best wear goggles), and any rough edges de-burred with a file - cue the complaints.

Some wire cutting tools have a facility to cut these screws.

The faceplate screw holes on your new box can, if necessary, be re-threaded with a 3.5mm tap tool - yet more tools.

The large areas of damage can be roughly patched with bonding plaster. Final coat to be done with finishing plaster or filler.

Welcome to our world of buggering about.

Sponsored Links
For starters that yellow cable should have been totally within the box, before you filled it.
where in Essex are you

There wasn't enough space inside the box so I had to leave a bit of it out. Otherwise, the switch wouldn't have been able to attach to the box.

Thank you for the offer, but I am not accepting visitors at this moment :D I live in a place called Darjenham.

Yes, you are in a pickle.

There should be no coloured wires outside of the box.

The outer sheath of the cable must enter the box.

Faceplate screws can be shortened various ways - they can be cut with side cutters (best wear goggles), and any rough edges de-burred with a file - cue the complaints.

Some wire cutting tools have a facility to cut these screws.

The faceplate screw holes on your new box can, if necessary, be re-threaded with a 3.5mm tap tool - yet more tools.

The large areas of damage can be roughly patched with bonding plaster. Final coat to be done with finishing plaster or filler.

Welcome to our world of buggering about.

I think I need a deeper box as well.

Sponsored Links
Or a regular switch.

That slim plate switch needs a deeper box as the gubbins at the back stick out more.

There wasn't enough space inside the box so I had to leave a bit of it out. Otherwise, the switch wouldn't have been able to attach to the box.

Thank you for the offer, but I am not accepting visitors at this moment :D I live in a place called Darjenham.

A 25mm box as suggested may have been a better option, 2 Gang switch and a Three core and E cable can be tight in a 16mm box if not prepared first not sure where Darjenham is and Google cannot place it either, if you get stuck and need it sorted in the future , let me know i am in Romford.

Or a regular switch.

That slim plate switch needs a deeper box as the gubbins at the back stick out more.
Looks the same brand as the one that he initially cracked and dont look any slimmer than say a Mk logic one to me

It does call itself a low profile switch, they usually need a deeper box.

But, you're right, if you can fit a 25mm box, it makes sense, especially where you have multiple cables.

How does one secure a box to the wall? Drill a hole and screw into a rawl plug?

If it is a solid wall, yes.

How did you fix the box in the picture?

I went to Wickes, lifted up the 25kg bag of bonding plaster, my back started hurting. I put it back and got this from Toolstation instead :
Gyproc Easifill 20 Filler 5kg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back